Kizer Ki403A1 First impressions and pics

I purchased the Kizer Ki403A1 out of curiosity – I wanted to spend time with a frame lock knife and get to understand how S35VN steel performed in my environment – mostly light use but with serious hunting and outdoor activity thrown in occasionally. In the Kizer, I will be able to do this without spending massive money – given they run about half the price of a ZT or similar. It has also been an opportunity to scrutinise a Chinese made product – something I would normally have avoided. But the stars aligned, and I have here with me in my pocket the Kizer. This will be a review based on my initial impressions. I wanted to get some photos up too so others interested in the Kizer product have an additional resource to make an informed purchase.

This is my first review here – and I am no expert, so go easy on me

Firstly, specs from the manufacturers website:

Model: Ki403A1

Blade Thickness: 0.157"(4.0mm)
Blade Material: CPM-S35VN
Blade Length: 93.6mm 3.68''
Overall Length: 213mm 8.37''
Handle Material: 6AL4V Titanium+G10(Green)
Clip Material: 6AL4V Titanium
Weight: 4.55oz(129g)
Locking: Frame Lock
Hardness: 58-60

The knife came in a smallish cardboard box which had been opened – I asked the retailer to take some photos of the exact knife I would be getting due to there being some apparent differences from the knives on Kizer’s website – I wanted to be sure my knife had a tip up carry option for the clip. Indeed, the knife came configured for tip up already, and was supplied with a blanking screw to cover the hole for tip down. I installed this later as the knife looked incomplete without it.

Here are some pics of the Kizer:

My immediate impressions were that the knife looked great – drab G10 scale on one side and heat coloured titanium on the other. It is a look that is a bit juxtaposed I guess – kind of military crossed with dressy, but it certainly adds interest to the Kizer. When I bought the knife, I had expected the G10 side to be a solid slab, but closer inspection reveals that there is a steel liner set into the G10 – reassuring me this knife would be up to heavy tasks:

The heavy blade is nicely stonewashed, deeply laser etched with “Kizer” and the facets and grinds provide more interest still – with the tip being flat ground for strength, converting to a hollow grind for the main body of the blade. The angles are cut to perfection and each side is virtual mirror image of the other – very well done.

The blade was perfectly centred. I could not find any trace of play/wiggle/slop either side to side or backwards or forwards. There is a good bit of aligning jimping on the handle and blade too.

Lockup is seriously solid. No doubt about it. The lock bar does not have a steel puck insert – which is one thing I am told I should want for – time will tell how the Kizer wears. I was surprised by how much ‘interface’ there is between the knife and the lock surface – almost 10mm of full contact between the two. Grunty.

The fit and finish of the knife is very impressive overall. I could find nothing I could describe as imperfect – everything is spot on. This is the area I was expecting to find flaws in the knife, but this Chinese machining and workmanship is flat out superb.

The Ki403A1 is not a colossus in hand - I am a big fan of this style. I did notice though that with its heavy blade, I felt like it could do with a fraction more bulk to the handle – and indeed some weight at the butt of the knife to offset this. I am quickly adapting to its handling though.

From the box, the detent took extreme force to overcome – too much in my opinion. The massive thumb studs are great, but the terraced edges are quite sharp. Disengaging the lock is also a challenge – again a fair amount of force is required to overcome the lock bar, and you must have it fully against its overtravel stop before you can attempt to close the blade. This makes one handed operation slow, slightly tricky and a bit painful as the jimping on the lock bar bights at the side of your thumb. All up, opening and closing the knife is not something you want to be doing repeatedly, without gloves. I will reflect on this again in a moment.

When you do manage to pop the blade, it comes out smoothly on its (copper?) washers. It is not as smooth as if it were on bearings, but there are no complaints for me here. Lockup as I mentioned before is excellent. I found the edge to be hair-popping sharp along its full length and the hollow grind has made short work of the slicing and chopping I have carried out so far. I enjoy the way the hollow shape seems to ‘suck’ itself into fruit – adding feel to food prep tasks which I enjoy. I will report back on the blade durability and suitability for other tasks at some point in the future.

The clip. I hate the clip. Immediately I felt its shape was unergonomic when gripping the knife, potentially sticking into your hand at the end. As it came it was far to ‘tight’ putting pressure on the lock bar, compounding the issues there. It seems too skinny also – making me wish for my deep carry, wide Benchmade clip on the # 600 I own. Wherever I positioned it after bending out a bit, I could not get comfortable with it. Again I will come back to this in a moment.

To wrap up the review part of this I will say that with the exception of the ‘break in’ issues with the detent and lock bar, and the crappy clip, this is an excellent knife for the money, and beyond. Overall the build quality is phenomenal. Fit and finish is top notch, the knife looks fabulous and is extremely solidly constructed. If it is representative of other knives in the Kizer family, I would not hesitate to recommend them at this early stage. For the money, I doubt you could go wrong.

Fixing the issues.

The knife came apart easily, and the clip went for a short trip down the bench to meet my grinder. In about 30 seconds I had it looking and performing much better – and it no longer protrudes so far out from the pocket. Easy. I will still look for a deep carry option though. Compare the profile to earlier images:

Next I carefully sanded off the sharp edges of the thumb stud making them far more user friendly to the ungloved hand. The work was too fine to be represented well in a photo, so take my word for it.
Lastly I added the smallest of chamfers to the detent hole on the blade, using a tungsten drill bit. When I say small, I mean tiny – you can just barely see it in the light. Upon reassembly I found this chamfer made a tiny, useful difference to the way the detent performed – making it ever so slightly easier to pop, but still retaining its staunch feel on closing and plenty of ‘spring’ on deployment. Some may criticise me for this – maybe I should have let the washers settle in before attempting a change – but that detent was strong even with a half profile washer in place instead of the factory unit.

Anyhow, the knife is a pleasure to carry, open and use now – my little gripes may well not have been issues for others, but they were for me so I sorted them. Make your own decisions about modifying knives, and warranty issues etc.

Thanks for reading – I leave you with a couple of pics of the knife after my subtle work.

Last edited:
You have done a great job on this review—outstanding pictures and well-written text sections too—this is the way it is supposed to be in magazines!

I am interested in this Kizer too. I already have five other models of theirs. I know that they have great quality.

That pocket clip looks a bit like the Microtech DOC's infamous "F U" clip. And with similar issues...
Good review, very informative, I liked how you explained your fixes to the issues you found.

Great review, and very similar to my initial impressions of the Ki4411F1 I just purchased a couple weeks ago. They are different animals, but the workmanship on mine is excellent, right down to the smallest details. The clip is unimpressive, however, undersized for a bulky knife. Otherwise, good stuff.

Thanks for the review! As a long time user of this knife, I can say that the deployment has smoothed out on mine over time. I tend to like a fairly strong detent anyway. I never really experienced the problem you had with the thumb studs or lock release, but hey, we all have different thumbs! Given that you can find this knife for ~$85 if you look and wait, it represents an incredible value. Again, great job on the review.

Hell of a review, man. I don't own a Kizer but yours was an interesting read nonetheless.

Keep up the good work and enjoy the knife!

thanks for such a great review :D i guess we all need to read honest review before buy a knive

o.png

Thank you for the review! I'm curious about kizer knives as well! Their naming system is terrible, though. Lol

Great review! I'm not overly fond of the stonewash though. Would love to see this knife with a satin/mirror finish.

Good review. Never owned a Kizer but I can definitely see that clip being a serious pain, seems quite obvious actually. This model seems right up my alley though....

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

I wanted to follow this up...

After a couple of days of use I have really come to enjoy this knife. Most knives I own have some sort of a recurve, but I have been enjoying the change to the Kizer's profile. It cuts effortlessly through everything I have presented to it - and as silly as it sounds I just love cutting up my tomatoes at lunchtime with this knife - I can slice tiny thin slices and the 'feel' is awesome - hard to describe - but I prefer using it for this task than my fancy kitchen knives.

The action has smoothed out beautifully (I confess to hundreds of surreptitious deployments - my wife thinks I may have issues :) ) and there is just the right amount of tension on everything - making opening and closing safe and controlable.

This knife was an absolute bargain. It is built like a tank and lends real security to its own feel. It seems like a work horse - a knife I would carry in any situation, but then that beautiful hollow grind provides it with a 'delicate' side - something many grunty pocket knives lack...

All in all, I am thrilled with the Kizer. It is excellent that we have them here on board with bladeforums too - I hope we can all learn from eachother and they can continue offering these high quality knives at pricepoints that aren't prohibitive. I am truly excited about these knives and am confident I will add more Kizers to my collection over the next few months.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I made a "Kizer Opinion" thread before buying mine to test the waters. No one had a single bad thing to say so I went for it. Paid $150 for a Ki423. I couldn't be happier. What a great knife! If it were made by anyone else it would cost $500+ easily. Everything on it is perfect and after much use it still performs flawlessly. If anyone here is on the fence about buying one of these - dont be! They're phenomenal knives that are obscenely low priced vs their quality.

I made a "Kizer Opinion" thread before buying mine to test the waters. No one had a single bad thing to say so I went for it. Paid $150 for a Ki423. I couldn't be happier. What a great knife! If it were made by anyone else it would cost $500+ easily. Everything on it is perfect and after much use it still performs flawlessly. If anyone here is on the fence about buying one of these - dont be! They're phenomenal knives that are obscenely low priced vs their quality.
Agreed. Kizer never fails to impress.

I have this knife. I like the flat grind of the tip transforming into the hole grind of the rest of the blade. That seems to make for a stronger tip. Excellent slicer.
Mine loosened slightly with side to side blade wiggle shortly after I got it. A small adjustment of the pivot screw has kept the lock up tight since.
Extremely well done fit and finish. It appears to be a very strong knife. The weight is great for edc at less than 5oz. I like the construction with stand offs. The blade remains centered. Nice size blade at 3.75 inches.
At 90.00 one of my highest value knives. I m impressed with Kizer! :thumbup:

Back