KME vs Edge pro

I am currently using the lansky sharpening system and want something that last a little longer and more grits available. The wicked edge would be out of my budget so I was looking into the KME or edge pro. What's your thoughts? Is there something else better I don't know about? Also if it matters I like the mirror edge finish.

I like my EdgePro as it affords a lot of options, will get you a mirror edge, and is great for reprofiling. I bought a basic kit with three hones and the polishing tape block. I added the narrow hones for recurves soon after and later a fine and ultrafine diamond. The diamonds are supposedly for ceramic knives, but I use them to start on tough steel and for reprofiling.

The down sides to the EP are the set up and clean up dealing with the water needed for sharpening. There's also a bit of a learning curve involved in holding the blade steady and at a consistent angle by hand. There are some easy work-arounds to that and to adjusting the edge angle if laying a FFG or high ground blade on its primary grind instead of the unground flat.

I haven't tried a KME, but the blade clamp and easy flip rotation look quite attractive. I have no idea if the KME is as sturdy a piece of gear as the EdgePro.

As a side note, once I have a blade initially set to either 20 DPS or 15 DPS with a 20 micro-bevel, I do all my touch-ups and light resharpenings on the SharpMaker, as it's so quick and easy.

I have been interested in these and a recent discussion has me leaning toward the KME at the moment mostly due to the fact it has a tool to allow for convexing which on certain knives would be handy. Beyond that I would say things like the EdgePro and WickedEdge to look to perhaps hold the knife more steadily but generally speaking I don't think this should be an issue with any of them. I would say at this point for myself I intend to go find YouTube or similar sharpening guides/tutorials to learn more about each to help me decide.

I also have an edge pro and I really enjoy it. It is capable of a nice mirror if you have the patience. I have never used a KME so I cant really comment on it. I think the edge pro would have a steeper learning curve but will be more flexible in the long run. If you go the edge pro route I recommend getting it from chef knives to go. Get an angle cube and their diamond stone for re profiling (it is well worth it and makes short work of most steels). I use there diamond stone to apply bevels to knives I make and it only takes about 5 minutes to reach an apex from a flat edge. Also get a drill stop collar and learn to use it to compensate for stone wear. I also recommend a diamond plate to flatten the stones. If your after a mirror edge this will be important. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Edge pro or even a hapstone which is similar to edge pro.

My issue with clamped systems is the uneven blades when clamping blades that are either full flat ground or Ffg and tapered.

Kme isn't too terrible if your blade stock where you clamp the knife in is flat on both sides. Even then the angle in the clamp can vary.

The edge pro has its challenges with this, and varying aspects but I find it easier to mitigate.

Last edited:
I plan on getting a KME once it's available over here again. But nobody has it in stock, I've considered a WE and an Edge Pro as well, since I like the idea of a clamped system it came down to WE and KME. The WE is still in the running but the KME has the lead.

I have a KME with diamond and Arkansas stones, and the base attachment.

To be honest I have not had great luck getting even bevels on any of the knives I have put on it.

It seems the variability in how the blade clamps along with the slight variation while flipping sides doesn’t help.

You also have to tape the blade to avoid scratches. You may have more luck with yours, but I usually just free hand sharpen now.

Reactions: Mo2
I am happy with my Edge Pro Apex for its versatility and many stone options.
Clamping systems seem nice, too.
But KME web page says it has positions only for 17 to 30 degrees, which seems too few options to me.

Look up "kme users" on FB and then you will get a true sence of how good a kme can be

I appreciate the feedback back and will check our the chef knives to go. I am leaning toward the edge pro. I also make knives so being able to get a bevel quick would be nice. Thank you everyone .

EDGE PRO
other systems have clamps. The clamps clamp poorly on some blade shapes (full flat), they get in the way for shallow angles and do not index as well as the Edge Pro for repeat performances. Also the clamps can be flexy.

One has to know what is involved in creating a sharp edge, mostly keeping the abrasive right on the apex predictably . . . then the Edge Pro makes it an easy, no technique, process to do that as long as you don't get sloppy and skip steps along the way.

My Edge Pro creates hair whittling edges in everything from my Swiss Army knives to my S110V blades . . . EVERY SINGLE TIME.
If I follow the steps I don't even need to check the edge when I am done. I can rely on it being that sharp.

Put the edge up to a hair while it is in my arm and cut a little curl off the hair without cutting the hair in two. And that is going through four stones ending with the Shapton Glass 4,000 stone (or a comparable diamond plate). I use no sharpening films and no strops.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Some downsides of Edge Pro (for me).
-Difficult to hold convex ground blades consistently on the stage (like Opinel).
-Holding a knife with the non-dominant hand is a bit challenging at the beginning.

Otherwise, I am very happy with it and the result it produces.

I am happy with my Edge Pro Apex for its versatility and many stone options.
Clamping systems seem nice, too.
But KME web page says it has positions only for 17 to 30 degrees, which seems too few options to me.
You can actually get lower than 17 by changing something on it. I did it once a while back before I got the edge pro. It worked too.

You can technically do convex edges on both but it's time consuming having to constantly changing the angles.

How did you guys do lower angles?
I am just wondering if the same tricks can be used for my DMT Aligner.

Wait until you can afford a Wicked Edge. #acceptnosubstitutes

I don’t have any experience with a KME or WorkSharp. I use an Edge Pro Apex to set my edges, then maintain on a Sharpmaker and a Bark River strop kit.

I’ll echo the sentiment about the learning curve of holding blades still. Still, it is definitely worth it to learn.

Have had a KME for ~ 3 years and sharpened a few hundred knives for myself, friends, relatives, neighbors, shooting/fishing friends.

I couldn't be more satisfied with the results. As for the angle issues mentioned in above threads, I may reset the blade in the clamps to accommodate blade lengths and shapes, trying to keep both edges being sharpened as close to perpendicular to the apex as possible. Simply a few clamp adjustments, taking only moments.

One other thing: I single-wrap very, very fine sandpapers to the sharpening plates/clamp as the last step to get somewhat mirror edges. Close enough to stropping for me.

Back