Knife addiction

nikoknife48

Gold Member
How can you tell if you have a knife addiction. What are the warning signs? Is there a support group out there.:( If not I would like to be President. KNIVES ANONYMOUS

For me it was buying a knife every two weeks whether or not I needed it. I only need two really but you tell yourself that buying another one will be beneficial to you. Your ebay ratings go up quickly, your Itrader feedback score on BF goes up. Wife is mad cause you buy so many knives. You lose count on the number of knives you own. When you lie about you addiction and try to pass yourself off as a real knife collector. I would add more but i am going to play with my new knife.

I have the feeling a Knife Anonymous meeting would turn into "You gotta check out this knife I got today, it has..."

However I am definitely addicted to knives. I bought 3 this last week... 2 from here and one directly from Buck. And thursday I'm getting 2 more... It's not my fault though, I just want the entire line of Kershaw Leeks.

By now I have an interesting small collection. I may even sell/give away a few cheap ones, which I will rarely if ever use.
Here's my trick to keep the addiction in check: they all fit in a flightcase, roughly the size of a 4 inches thick laptop case. And whatever happens, my whole collection must fit. I can still add a handful, but if it becomes a problem, something must go.
This keeps my buying habits in check!

Is almost causing a divorce a sign of a problem:eek:
anyone else here ever hide knife purchases from their wife? I'll bet there are....

Knives Annon could be useful, kind of like sex addicts annon, I've never been but I would guess the meetings are useful both for those trying to beat a sex addiction as well as those trying to feed one:)

It is not an addiction in my case, rather as I do sell a knife occasionally I prefer to think of it as increasing my inventory. (Ok...last knife I sold was in 1982...but I am just waiting for a bull market) As a responsible retailer I feel it is my duty to be able to offer my customers as wide a choice as possible so I am continually adding to my inventory. However for the addicted I would suggest this 12 step program....let me know how it works out for ya!

1. We admitted we were powerless over knives and that our collections had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a custom knifemaker could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our Money over to the care of the Master Blade Smith as we understood Him.
4. Made a searching and fearless inventory of our wallets.
5. Admitted to the Master Blade Smith, to ourselves, and to another human being (often a wife) the exact nature of our needs and want.
6. Were entirely ready to have Master Blade Smith remove the contents of our wallets.
7. Humbly asked the MasterSmith to build the Knife of Knives for us.
8. Made a list of all persons we could brag to, and became willing to make show it to them all.
9. Made direct neener-neener-neener sounds to such people wherever possible, except when to do cause them to injure us.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we found a duplicate sold it off to fund the MasterSmith.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with the Master Blade Smith hoping his hammer would strike true and his forge would burn this addiction out with this one last knife.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we carry this knife with us to show off to other addicts in order to talk them into buying a custom as well and to swear to our loved one "This is the last knife...I promise!".

It's not so bad, I have a friend (or a sorta friend, well OK not a good friend) that drinks everyday and smokes 3 or 4 packs of cigarettes. Some others burn it up in illegal high priced pot, or even worse coke or meth (then they get the meth mouth and sores and steal everything they can). At least we get to keep our addictive substance and sometimes the value goes up!

Yeah, for me its the feeling of recieving a new knife every other week...and ordering one online the afternoon that one arrives in the mail....

I'm so screwed.

Anyone who owns more than 2 knives is an addict;)

Let's face it, if you have a nice fixed blade and a folder, you really don't need anything else.

And if you own a multi-tool and still feel the need to have extra knives around, you are an addict too.

Remember, the majority of the population manages to survive everyday without even carrying knives.

I'm not in denial, my name is Rob and I am a knife addict

There is no such thing as to many knives. Hence there is no possibility of addiction.

Wow these are all great comments. ABSINTHEUR as President I will adopt your 12 step program as a foundation for Knives Annoymous. Keep em coming!

I buy at least one new knife every time I get paid (every other week) whether I need it or not. But I also sell many knives to friends and on-line. I've hidden knife purchases from my wife, much like she hides that $80 pair of shoes by cleverly putting a $20 JC Penny tag on the box (even though the receipt is still on the box with the real price).

I have folders and I have fixed blades. I have multi-tools and I have sharpening supplies. Maybe I'm an addict, but I can stop any time I want to. I just don't want to right now. There are too many knives I don't have yet.

I think its when you start thinking about buying a special lockable container because your knife collection is rapidly becoming your most valuable possession, after your house and car.

I was in this position recently... of course, I never got round to buying a knife cabinet. Why? Because I spent the cash on more knives! :foot:

{nervous laughter follows}

Absintheur...... that is classic! Need to show that to my buddies! I guess this is my first meeting!

Back