Knife Cut Superstition

If a knife cuts me, and take some blood it becomes apart of me. You can't get rid of apart of yourself. Unless it's your appendix that's moody and decides it wants to rupture. ;)

Never heard of that one. Wouldn't have worked for me, since I cut myself several times during my years as a butcher. Outside of work, I can only think of one time that I cut myself bad enough to get stitches.

I purposely cut myself a little with each new blade i get, just enough to draw blood onto the blade. Once it tastes my blood it knows its master and doesnt bite me again.

I try to view my knives in the way I would a well-trained, yet wild animal. I get bitten when I get careless or fail to show my knife it's due respect/attention while using it.

But I do feel a kind of bonding when a knife has bitten me.

I know that sounds weird, but it has helped me to pay better attention. Though I still get little bites occasionally.

Jim

The cure to your superstitions is to stop being silly. Not cutting yourself anymore would help, too.

It's a sharp chunk of metal - sure I might get attached to one that I've used for a long time, or I might get rid of one if the lock keeps failing on me, but that's about it. It's a tool that just does what you make it do.

I sliced my finger down to the bone while cleaning my Salt 1. I was contemplating selling it but now it's tasted my blood and I can't let it go. Hahahah

That is ... uhh ... quite interesting.

I mean, I don't mind if I play with it and a finger slips, but I wouldn't purposely cut myself.

I normally test how sharp it is with my thumb ;) got to toughen up your skin. Ahahaha.

No way am I relinquishing my Alpha Beast... haha that probably doesn't count.
Anyhow... by dawn today, I was at the hospital with a friend whose Emerson Karambit CQC-7 demanded 10 stitches from him. It went right back into his pocket :p

We had a heck of a cleanup to take care of upon returning...

Lol, I'm the exact opposite. The way I see it, a knife does not become your knife until it has your edge and your blood on it.

Yep...it's like you are now blood brothers. :)

And to be absolutely clear (& honest)...if you get cut by a knife it's almost always you own damn fault! :) Knives are inanimate objects...they don't cut you...you cut yourself with them! Lol!

That is ... uhh ... quite interesting.

I mean, I don't mind if I play with it and a finger slips, but I wouldn't purposely cut myself.

And plus it hurts more when you know about. Unlike those cuts that happen, but you don't know how, or when. Those kinda cuts don't hurt until after you know it's there

Most of my EDC has cut me. I can't recall one that hasn't, which likely because I haven't put my edge on it.

Not a problem, in fact it makes it more 'mine,;)

Had a balisong that cut me badly twice--worst two cuts of my life. I had it refurbished and sold it on. I was glad to see it go.

I've only had one knife seriously cut me, everything else warranted a search for some superglue at most.
My Twitch II gave me 10 stitches on my left ring finger. Since then I haven't quite liked the knife, it just looks ugly now... :( Its just sitting in my display case and hasn't been touched in over a year.

I do agree with nopyo though. I believe it isn't yours till its givin you a love bite. My tenacious did that before it was out of the box lol, was slightly ajar in the box then i carelessly grabbed it it poked through the bag.

I was having a conversation with someone at work about shis stuff last week. Superstitions about common items. If you open a folder you have to be the one to close it or the knife spirit gets angry or something. That's the only one I could come up with for knives. Anyone know any others?

With respect, if you're afraid of getting cut, I'd recommend looking up Scar
He's the most painful but successful teacher in safe knife handling ;):p

I have a limit on the number of cuts. If it cuts me a 3rd time I get rid of it. In addition, if I end up getting a knife that was used in a suicide attempt/ self cutting incident even if minor I get rid of it by giving it away to someone who I tell it's history to, and doesn't care.

I had a knife ( buck) that had been involved in two minor cuts on owners, (then it cut me when I was cleaning and sharpening it.) plus a bonifide suicide attempt by a young lady. Strangely enough when I was giving a relatives girlfriend a choice of several knives she seemed immediately drawn to it. She wasn't exactly stable herself but was trying to get the help needed ( problems didn't include harming herself obviously). I couldn't talk her into another knife. ( by the way this knife was refurbished and sterilized by myself)

Joe

Last I heard the knife is behaving itself and has lost it's blood lust.

Joe

Back