Knife Cut Superstition

Got a few knife scars, so old now, I have to look for them, but - touch wood - nothing real bad that's been self-inflicted, just the usual minor cuts from time to time, and even those are rare.

I have always felt that the knife was not really 'mine', until it had drawn blood. :D

I wind up with a cut from most new knives. I never thought this was obvious, or that others noticed. A couple of years back, my wife came home from work, and noticed a large bandage covering my left thumb and palm.
She asked "Oh, what new knife did you get today?" I was shocked, and asked why she would inquire about that? She laughed, and said that everytime I got a new knife, I wore a bandaid. :D

Strangley enough I've only been bitten by my large folders, Cold Steel Espada lge, Ti Lite 6', Rajah 2and Spyderco Military. None of these has been my EDC and I've never been bitten by the same knife twice.

Hey Joe,
I feel somewhat at least connected with one other person... Although you don't get rid of them after the first bite (like me)... you do follow the same path as I, albeit not so fast nor far.
Thanks Brah!
-Mick

I have a limit on the number of cuts. If it cuts me a 3rd time I get rid of it. In addition, if I end up getting a knife that was used in a suicide attempt/ self cutting incident even if minor I get rid of it by giving it away to someone who I tell it's history to, and doesn't care.

I had a knife ( buck) that had been involved in two minor cuts on owners, (then it cut me when I was cleaning and sharpening it.) plus a bonifide suicide attempt by a young lady. Strangely enough when I was giving a relatives girlfriend a choice of several knives she seemed immediately drawn to it. She wasn't exactly stable herself but was trying to get the help needed ( problems didn't include harming herself obviously). I couldn't talk her into another knife. ( by the way this knife was refurbished and sterilized by myself)

Joe

Last I heard the knife is behaving itself and has lost it's blood lust.

Joe

Lol, I'm the exact opposite. The way I see it, a knife does not become your knife until it has your edge and your blood on it.
I agree with nopyo. When I buy a knife I know that Im going to cut myself with it. Its inevitable... I call it the Christening of the knife. I think that it boils down to respect, the knife is new to you, you're not use to its feel, what you can and cant do with it. So it teaches you with your blood. Once you respect it, it doesn't cut you.

A knife is never truly yours until it tastes your blood.
That seems to be a common theme with many of those who replied. Obviously that's every bit in the superstitious realm as my thoughts... just on the opposite pole.... The Joker ain't the Riddler, but they're still categorically together!

Lol, I'm the exact opposite. The way I see it, a knife does not become your knife until it has your edge and your blood on it.

Hmm..Got bite, drew some blood and sliced a piece of skin off, the piece of skin was on the knife but no blood, does that count?:confused:

I am not a superstitious man. But I'm afflicted with a superstition that haunts me. If I get cut by any of my knives.. I'm not talking about a little superficial slice, but a bloody cut, be the EDC or collectable, I never look upon them the same way, and always wind up getting rid of them. They lose their value to me, and beyond that... I almost make a mission of getting rid of them. Good Lord, how absolutely ridiculous that seems! Please assure me I'm not the only one that suffers from that insanity! Oh... and if anyone knows the cure, please! Bestow it upon me!
Thanks!
Mick

Actually I agree with your point...... Once you loose the confidence or in essence the "ownership" feel of that weapon, you will not wield it as accurately, as confidently and more likely will become intimidated by it. Granted, you can train and better your abilities but sometimes mistakes do happen and if that instills a doubt or lack of confidence in that blade itself, the negative effect to your psyche could be dangerous.

just my .02, ymmv

Actually I agree with your point...... Once you loose the confidence or in essence the "ownership" feel of that weapon, you will not wield it as accurately, as confidently and more likely will become intimidated by it. Granted, you can train and better your abilities but sometimes mistakes do happen and if that instills a doubt or lack of confidence in that blade itself, the negative effect to your psyche could be dangerous.

just my .02, ymmv
Thanks Reignman,
Your point about loss of confidence after being bit definitely plays into why they are looked at in a different light... most especially if you get hurt... Now the logical thing to do is to take responsibility and learn from it, and not handle it the same way you did when cut.... but superstitions are powerful. Just ask the hockey goalie that has to lace his skates left to right every time, then bang the goal posts exactly 13 times to start the game. (Ron Hextall if interested). A batter's slump that is changed by a change in bat. Ridiculous, but ones perception is ones reality.
Thanks!
Mick

Back