Knife display,storing

I can't imagine that this hasn't come up but I can't find anything in search so here goes.How do you display your knives?I'm also interested in storing,I know I have read a few posts that store in a safe.I'm more interested in displays,like patterns,companies,whatever.As of now,I just have most of mine in a roll,yes,just one with 50 or so in it,but I'm looking to do something different,at least with some of the nicer ones and I could use some ideas.

My nicer knives go in glass top wooden cases made by a gentleman named Forrest Bogg.
Forrest offers his cases in a variety of sizes, and types of wood. I have cherry , walnut and bubinga. The cases are available with display stands and he offers case liners of
several different colors. The cases are "gentle "on your knives, well made and are fairly priced. The cases are very attractive. Mine are displayed in my office.
Forrest sets up at several shows each year and ships orders promptly. To top it off he's a heck of a nice guy. His phone number is 573-365-9724

Mine are displayed in flat "shadow boxes". My house is a bit crowded so these take up wall space, but almost no floor space. with a galvanized steel back covered with thin tough cloth, I mount them with permanent disc magnets, and can change my displays around in seconds!
DSC01308.jpg

Thanks guys.There is a fellow at the local flea market that makes the wood cases in oak and cherry with foam liners.I've thought about them,I just wanted something a little more unique.I did see a box similar to the one from Harbor Freight,except it had a glass lid,sold at an auction a couple weeks ago,it just went for more than I thought it should be worth.I wish I could find on of those to see what they go for.I also saw a stand at a show a couple weeks ago that was from some kind of root that was nice,but they were to big for 4in knives.Anybody know if somebody makes those in a smaller size?

I keep mine in an oak Gerstner tool box. The drawers are felt lined, and perfect to store knives. It also keeps prying hands away. Bill.

mine are all stored in the original packaging, when possible. Otherwise they're in sack-ups or other roll storage. For fixed blades I have been unable to find a suitable commercial product, so I roll them up in old towels.

As far as display, I've only done that once. The display case was provided by the musuem and was an old store display - lit, glass shelves, glass top and front. I covered the glass shelves with inexpensive cabinet liner padded.

-Bob

I user a Gerstner and several Tomway boxes.

I also have a few knives on display (glassed cases) around the house and a reproduction of a old timey pharmacy bookshelf (Costco special) that holds the knives I use.

This Tomway holds 29 knives and is my favorite.

attachment.php

I currently use sectioned clear plastic storage boxes picked up at the local craft store. I'm thinking of upgrading to the type of thing at the Harbor Freight link above, but not sure how many of those I'd need... :) I also like waynorth's idea; I may try building something like that.

A lot of folks use rolls which are available on various auction sites, etc. Search for "knife roll". These are fine if you just want to store them.

-- Sam

Currently most of my knives are stored in a 5-drawer map chest and a small cabinet...

DSCN5400.jpg

...but I was cleaning up the house and found this metal box with plastic drawers which could hold up to fifty of my closed Buck 110's giving me more room in the map chest for some other knives stored in an old dresser.

DSCN5404.jpg

DSCN5398.jpg

I really like the wooden keeper case, Always wanted one, but never took the leap, spent too much on my knives, I guess.:D:D:D

My display is in my signature line.

I've actually had mine boxed looking for a good way to display. Are there any long term issues in displaying knives with the blades open?

After reading these posts I feel a bit ashamed of myself. Most of my knives are in a wooden cigar box with a little brass clasp thing holding it shut. The cigar box sits on my chest of drawers and each morning I open it to pick out which old knife I carry that day.

I'll have to get a nice display case for them so I can hold my head up here.:eek:

After reading these posts I feel a bit ashamed of myself. Most of my knives are in a wooden cigar box with a little brass clasp thing holding it shut. The cigar box sits on my chest of drawers and each morning I open it to pick out which old knife I carry that day.

I'll have to get a nice display case for them so I can hold my head up here.:eek:

jackknife,that works & I wouldn't feel ashamed OR change a thing,as a matter of fact,I have a nice cigar box I was gonna set up w/some felt in it,you know,like line it..but there is no where for me to put it,my glass top drawer type toolbox is in "my spot",and it seems,that's the only spot I'm getting.
-Vince

Yup, I have the same thing for my EDCs, even though I rarely rotate much anymore. My 4 mostly used are on top of the box. Several of my fixed blades are either on the nightstand or along a ledge by the bedroom window where I keep my box.

Those still boxed are on a bookshelf in my little "me" room. With other knives, including my small collection of 40s & 50s Sportsman type knives, are on one computer desk or another.

I've been thinking about a nice way to organize and display them some. The machinist boxes sound like a a good idea. Maybe a glass topped case or two.

So don't worry, Jackknife. You ain't the only one without a nice storage & display setup. ;)

Actually,thats why I started this,mine are in a roll,a desk drawer and on top of the dresser.I did recently pickup a box that looks to be bakelite with brass hinges that I kept to put a few in,I just need to find a place for the box.I like the toolbox deal and I'm really sorry that I didn't buy the one I saw with the glass top.I figure that I will probably put a few display knives on a shelf and some will probably stay in a roll.Thanks for all the posts and pics fo some really nice collections.

Bastid,do you store them boxed in that Tomway?Is the pharmacy shelf glass enclosed?

I must be paranoid... I start by storing in those fuzzy zippered pouches, or original wax paper, but they all live in a safe. I'd have an attack if I ever came home to a burglary of my knives. Of course the frustration is I'm really unable to display...

Mike

I must be paranoid... I start by storing in those fuzzy zippered pouches, or original wax paper, but they all live in a safe. I'd have an attack if I ever came home to a burglary of my knives. Of course the frustration is I'm really unable to display...

Mike

I know robbers could bust down the door and take my knives away, that is why I invested in a Very good alarm system, response time around here is about 3 to 5 minutes for the LEO's. But I have other surprises for unwanted visitors. I added a couple of OUTSIDE type sirens inside my room. You can not hear yourself think with them going off. Did the same at my business, only had 2 breakins there and they left without taking anything, their eardrums might have been ruptured, but that was not my worry. I enjoy being able to handle my knives and glance at them while watching the tube.

So get an alarm system, enjoy your knives.
James

Back