Knife for Afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because people don't, doesn't mean they shouldn't.

Guys like you are what is wrong with this forum. It isn't your place to judge, or say what his actual job is. He asked about knives, keep your non-knife opinion to yourself or don't comment at all.

Please stop crying. "Guys like you!" :rolleyes: Please stop attempting to tell me what it is or isn't my place to do. If you don't like my comments, it's not your place to respond to me. Report me and move on. Problem is, I haven't broken any Forum rules, so oops! I get to voice my opinion.

Logic, IT BURNS US, PRECIOUS!

You think every marine/soldier is an expert on knives? lol, no that is just ridiculous, I know many soldiers who know what they want out of a knife from training, but don't know all of the different; steels, brands, models etc like people do on this forum. So they post and or creep on forums to become more knowledgeable on knives, that is what forums are for... His previous deployment wouldn't of been as a scout sniper, so he is looking for a new knife to fit his new role. He DOES know what he needs, a fixed blade within the requirements he listed lol. He probably has a knife or knives in mind but wanted to come to a forum where people are very knowledgeable on a niche topic to see if he could learn anything new to add on to his experience/knowledge that he learned as a Marine.

Okay pal, here it is; no not every marine/soldier is a knife expert. The ugly truth is, they mostly don't even care. Just like the general populace, the vast majority of servicemen don't know much about knives, don't care much about knives, and won't spend a lot on a knife. They will walk into the PX, and buy what the PX has for sale cheap.

In the ten years I was n the army combat engineers, I saw more Buck 110's on the hip than ANY other two or even three knife brands. In Vietnam, the most popular fixed blade in the field was the Buck 119 special. Both Bucks were on sale at the PX so that is why most swinging Richards had on their hip. Contrary to what some knife makers would have you believe, there was no Randall's, or other customs floating around. I saw one single Randall knife the whole tour I was in Vietnam, and that was on a markedly over weight supply sergeant of the chairborne ranger class.

By the time you've served/survived one "deployment" you know what's gong on and what you need.

So Gideons, what branch of the service did you serve if any, and what was your experience?

Please stop crying. "Guys like you!" :rolleyes: Please stop attempting to tell me what it is or isn't my place to do. If you don't like my comments, it's not your place to respond to me. Report me and move on. Problem is, I haven't broken any Forum rules, so oops! I get to voice my opinion.

Logic, IT BURNS US, PRECIOUS!
Just because something isn't against the rules, doesn't mean you aren't a dick for doing it. You tell me it isn't my place to tell people what to do, yet that is exactly what you're doing in this thread, I hope next time you reply it is less hypocritical.

Just because something isn't against the rules, doesn't mean you aren't a dick for doing it.

Insults. "I have no valid response, and also I don't like logic."

Anyway, I've made my point, so I won't be responding to you further. You have a great day. :)

I’d take Charliemikes suggestion and have him make you a custom in your choice of steel, blade length, handle material and grind. That’s a great idea.
And so are a lot of the other post.

Seems to me that the OP rolled in with a nonsensical premise to his question and was rightly called out on it. The question could have been asked any number of other ways if the goal was to get the advice he said he wanted. That leads me to believe that the premise was more important to him than the advice. YMMV

If I was in the Army...(I doubt they let slightly overweight middle aged guys in lol)

I would be using it as an excuse to go out and buy the coolest restricted model I could find! That might be poor advice, but i've noticed that restricted models are never mentioned.

Back to the subject of knives, I was unfamiliar with the Cold Steel SRK until now. It looks like a lot of knife for under $50. What's the downside?

Back to the subject of knives, I was unfamiliar with the Cold Steel SRK until now. It looks like a lot of knife for under $50. What's the downside?
It's basically a remake of the WW2 U.S. Navy Mk1 with a Kraton grip instead of a stacked leather washer grip. It's a good design. I still have one in Carbon V.

I don't like the tone of disrespect. Why would he lie? Because of all the respect he would get?
Why does anyone lie about their service, whether they served or not? Who knows? But it happens. Way too often these days. At epidemic proportions. It's so bad I became a Member-at-Large in the VFW instead of enduring BS posers at so many posts and told my wife to forego a military funeral when she buried me unless she got an Active Duty detail since you can't be sure of the veracity of veterans in veteran service organization details these days. It's truly that bad and sad.

Honesty and trustworthiness still count. The OP made an odd claim for his circumstances, backed off a bit when questioned generally, then vanished when asked questioned specifically.

Last edited:
Okay pal, here it is; no not every marine/soldier is a knife expert. The ugly truth is, they mostly don't even care. Just like the general populace, the vast majority of servicemen don't know much about knives, don't care much about knives, and won't spend a lot on a knife. They will walk into the PX, and buy what the PX has for sale cheap.

In the ten years I was n the army combat engineers, I saw more Buck 110's on the hip than ANY other two or even three knife brands. In Vietnam, the most popular fixed blade in the field was the Buck 119 special. Both Bucks were on sale at the PX so that is why most swinging Richards had on their hip. Contrary to what some knife makers would have you believe, there was no Randall's, or other customs floating around. I saw one single Randall knife the whole tour I was in Vietnam, and that was on a markedly over weight supply sergeant of the chairborne ranger class.

By the time you've served/survived one "deployment" you know what's gong on and what you need.

So Gideons, what branch of the service did you serve if any, and what was your experience?

Would you not say the whole knife scene has changed considerably since that time? I'd expect more interest today on knives and gear in general. I have not served, but many of the gents I know were in/currently in, SOF (mostly NSW), preferred a knife that was to their personal liking over what would be issued to them. Younger guys I speak with are often interested in modern stuff they don't get issues, for better or worse. Watches being another favorite.

My opinion only, if the kid wants a good knife as part of his kit O war before he deploys, lets give him the options in the price range per his recs, and let him figure out of that makes sense once he's doing his thing in country.

Whether he's legit or not, can't say, but sorta moot ultimately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back