Knife for defence against wild critters ?

Bottle rocket?
image_zpsu4iddeba.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I know it isn't strictly on topic, but since we're talking about bear defense some of you may be interested. This is a long video but well worth watching if you travel in bear country. This guy knows his stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PExlT-5VU-Y&feature=youtu.be

This is over an hour long, and fifteen minutes in there has been more academic jibber jabber and bad jokes than anything else. No real advice and just bad anecdotes of his condescension towards the common folk.

I'm going to guess the Kochanski 7 minute video is much better. I'll watch the rest of it though and note any of the useful information below.

There has been research on deterrents for years:
http://www.bearbiology.com/fileadmin/tpl/Downloads/URSUS/Vol_5/Miller_Vol_5.pdf

This study suggests that the only item which worked, albeit temporarily, in a charge each time was a sheet of plywood. And the spray as well.

Edit: After 17 minutes or so the actual presentation starts and it is quite good. No new information really but some of the data is interesting and confirms a lot of the books and pamphlets that have been around. Most interesting is the injuries related to guns and that likelihood of a violent encounter goes down where there are more bears. Makes sense really as the wound could cause a bear to go into fight for survival mode, and in dense populations they would more commonly be warding each other off.

The data tests for charges were 75 metres and 400 metres (brown bears, temperamental bears for the latter), as opposed to what Kochanski says for 50 yards and 100 yards (black bears, mother at 100).

The spray practise is also a good idea. Good video, just didn't like his condescending talk at the beginning.

Last edited:
This is over an hour long, and fifteen minutes in there has been more academic jibber jabber and bad jokes than anything else. No real advice and just bad anecdotes of his condescension towards the common folk.

I'm going to guess the Kochanski 7 minute video is much better. I'll watch the rest of it though and note any of the useful information below.

This study suggests that the only item which worked, albeit temporarily, in a charge each time was a sheet of plywood. And the spray as well.

Edit: After 17 minutes or so the actual presentation starts and it is quite good. No new information really but some of the data is interesting and confirms a lot of the books and pamphlets that have been around. Most interesting is the injuries related to guns and that likelihood of a violent encounter goes down where there are more bears. Makes sense really as the wound could cause a bear to go into fight for survival mode, and in dense populations they would more commonly be warding each other off.

The data tests for charges were 75 metres and 400 metres (brown bears, temperamental bears for the latter), as opposed to what Kochanski says for 50 yards and 100 yards (black bears, mother at 100).

The spray practise is also a good idea. Good video, just didn't like his condescending talk at the beginning.

What did you find condescending?

Just the way he spoke about people as if they were stupid for asking questions. It's perfectly normal to ask questions and just shows that elitist attitude of academics.

I mean, the woman asks what to do if you don't have bear spray with you. Whether it's ignorance or not there's no reason to be a jerk in the response. Just say, 'Well, first off you should have a second can if you're on a long trip. And if for some reason you have to go through that second can then you're either in the wrong place, doing something wrong, or you need to decide whether to leave or rely on a bear bat. If you're on a short trip or day hike and don't take it, then you're just taking a huge and unnecessary risk.' Treating people like they're stupid is terrible instruction and should be left for those deserving of a rebuttal, not those just asking questions.

Maybe he was exaggerating to make a joke. Just don't care for that authority humour myself. Good information in the video though.

I don't know. I don't subscribe to the "there are no stupid questions" philosophy.

Those "what if" questions where the person asking constructs an elaborate and leading scenario don't fly with me.

That was a great video by a guy who clearly has spent huge time around bears and thinking about bears.

sorry I should've mentioned that its a little slow to get going. I'm glad you stuck it out until the part where the real info starts! I've been sharing this video with a lot of people, especially my hunting friends who tend to carry a firearm and no bear spray. I think it helps to really understand how bears think and why thee behave the way they do, as well as clearing up a lot of common misconceptions about bear safety and best practices during encounters.

Yeah, he knows his stuff for sure. Just figured we might as well draw out some of the points for those uncertain due to the length of it. His most important points had to do with learning calm and being able to stand still to let body language be shared and give the bear a chance to go its way. Easier said than done though. Not a lot of people are in a situation similar to those studying bears. I've seen lots of bears in the 75-100 yard range but never up close, so I don't know how I'd keep my cool. Very important to keep in mind though.

I don't know. I don't subscribe to the "there are no stupid questions" philosophy.

Those "what if" questions where the person asking constructs an elaborate and leading scenario don't fly with me.
But what if life and death hinge on you subscribing to a what if question with an elaborately constructed scenario? Would it fly with you then?

But what if life and death hinge on you subscribing to a what if question with an elaborately constructed scenario? Would it fly with you then?

Can you cite a realistic example of a life or death scenario with elaborately constructed hinge points?

One's I've heard sound like the plot summary for Under Siege & they definitely weren't asked by a Navy SEAL who was running out the clock as a cook on a battleship.

Can you cite a realistic example of a life or death scenario with elaborately constructed hinge points?

One's I've heard sound like the plot summary for Under Siege & they definitely weren't asked by a Navy SEAL who was running out the clock as a cook on a battleship.
As long as "realistic" doesn't mean very likely only but could include remotely possible scenarios I believe I could come up with something.
Mutant bears with human sized brains asking you what if questions muahaha
[emoji12]

Or something more likely if you want.
What if your boss asks you weird elaborate what if questions. Would you at least pretend to take them serious (provided you need the job to stay alive)
[emoji15]

I don't remember much from that Navy Seal. I believe he liked throwing knives and cooked lighter fluid with a metal sponge in a microwave? [emoji2]

I don't remember much from that Navy Seal. I believe he liked throwing knives and cooked lighter fluid with a metal sponge in a microwave? [emoji2]

He was like a dark haired Willy Wonka.

Or something more likely if you want. What if your boss asks you weird elaborate what if questions. Would you at least pretend to take them serious (provided you need the job to stay alive)

Work is actually very much cut to the chase.

He was like a dark haired Willy Wonka.

Work is actually very much cut to the chase.
I have trouble matching Willy Wonka with what I remember of that movie which is a good excuse to see it again after so many years.

Last edited:
Whenever I go out in the woods, I always carry my TOPS Condor Alert. Here in Nebraska we have the occasional mountain lion, coyotes, raccoons, lots of deer, and some elk. I would hate to rely on just my knife should I ever be attacked, but the idea of making or carrying a spear is logical. At this keeps a little distance between you and the animal. But most importantly, most of us who spends a lot of time in the woods, especially us who hunt develop that keen sense of awareness. Being aware and eyes open you would avoid most if not any possible attacks. Even if it does happen we are prepared. All I got to say, whether its a bear, a pack of coyotes, or even a big buck, if Im threatened for my life, that animal better give me all its got, cause Im going in full beast mode, I will stab and slice until that animal is dead, and knowing how silly I can be, if the animal runs from me, I would probably chase after it to try to kill it. Yeah I may end up dieing, but if thats the case, that animal is too! I know it may sound silly, but being around wild hogs growing up, and even some wild dogs, I have learned to show no fear. It like the animals can sense that. At least the wild dogs I encountered at the time did and they went from following me to relentlessly trying to attack me, but lucky for me at the time my dad was their and shot one of them. However, if I was to be engaged by a large cat thats fifty pounds plus, I will be thinking of two options, one, run screaming like a little school girl at a Bieber concert, two, defend myself and hope I live to tell about it. Lol. Bears, Moose, dogs, alligators, etc dont scare me, but I will never mess with a big cat! Large cats are the most successful hunters in the world and are very patient and strong. Between sharp claws and teeth, capable leaping pretty far, being very stealthy, I still feel overwhelmed even having any type of weapon. Usually that weapon is only going to be useful if you see them coming or your actually able to use it if your not pinned with claws in your back and teeth sinking in your skull!

my scrapyard dogfather. it's currently the only knife i own that i have no urge to play with (building a camp fire, etc.) but i'm hanging onto it for now because it just feels downright stabby, haha.

scrapyard_dogfather_01_zps2uv5xws9.jpg

I think a good machete (think along the lines of a large Kukri) or a full size axe would be better than any knife.

If you are within knife range, you are within teeth and claw range.

Back