knife for motorcycle camping?

I am planning a cross country, multi-week, motorcycle trip next summer, during which I will be camping exclusively. Which knife would best complement my Spirit multitool as a dedicated cutting blade? (I realize that any would do, but half the fun of any hobby is obsessive nitpicking).

In addition to my multitool and a hatchet, I could bring a:

Becker Crewman
Grohmann #1
Spyderco Native
Kershaw Vapor
SAK Outrider

Or I could go shopping for something new.:)

You could get a Spyderco Manix, but I'm not sure how that works if you're driving through different states and the Manix might be illegal in some of them?

The RAT3 with its multiple carry options sheath would be a all around cutter for a fixed blade. Ontario/RAT also has the model 1 folder that is great as well. You couldn't go wrong with any of the knives from Spyderco. I am assuming that you are looking for a general purpose knife so just about any small fixed blade would do.

If you're going to be cooking in camp a Bark River Wolf River knife would be a great addition to your collection. The thin blade of the Wolf River slices vegetables and trims meat like a dream. Amazingly sharp stainless blade with convex edge - and the G-10, Micarta and stabilized burlwood scales are impervious to water, blood, and oil.
http://www.dlttradingcompany.com/index.php?cPath=24&osCsid=0b66002047e9d0f63a7e4340d1e7ff78

AntiqIvoryMicartaMosPin.jpg
RoyalEdlerBurlMosaPin.jpg

The Grohman is near perfect but why give up a perfectly good reason to buy another knife?

I agree with the 110.

I used to camp out a lot when riding long distances, and found that 3 relatively inexpensive knives served me extremely well.

The biggest was a Muela Mirage fixed blade (don't laugh!). This cost me around $40 from a sporting goods store, and really took some serious abuse from me. I used that thing for everything from chopping branches to digging holes. Easy to keep sharp, and mine still looks only lightly used! The great thing about it is that because of the low price, you aren't afraid to abuse it (even though it will laugh in your face at your puny efforts :D )

Next was a Leatherman Wave. I didn't buy it specifically for camping out, but had it anyway. It's amazing how many of the tools you will use on a day to day basis (great for impromtu bike repairs). The pivots can build up with dirt, but easily cleaned back home.

Lastly was a simple Victorinox companion(?). The single blade with red handle. Just handy to keep in a pocket, and very friendly looking in more public places.

Of course, the choice is yours. I can only give you my best choices when I found myself in wet, dirty places where I couldn't afford to sit there cleaning my kit.

i lopped off some pinky thick branches yesterday with my 110. cherry, ash, oak, and paper birch. its a hell of a strong knife.

I am so jealous I totaly intend to do the same type of trip this summer on my 919. I have some old canadian military 82 pattern packs as sadlebags anbd some mag holders on either side of my headlight for tools. I would recomend upgrading the included tool kit. One item that I would not want to be without is the CS shovel. I also have a tiny pair of moterbike jumper cables so I don't need to push start an loaded bike. Put dry socks ,underwear etc in a foodsaver bag so you have dry clothes no matter how wet you get.

I we're talking about kit too, then you can't go anywhere without the innovative essentials.

Off the top of my head I can think of a microfiber towel (very small and light but tremendously absorbent), a can of instant puncture repair/inflator, and spare money in a ziplok bag under your seat.

The number of times I could have cried to remember that I had money stashed there when I was miles from an ATM!

Also remember to keep the expensive stuff padded well in the middle of a bag. If you crash, even a topple can damage items or smash them into you (remembering a bruised coccyx from such an incident:mad: )

Take the crewman, Native, and SAK. That will cover all three ranges of tasks that I run across.

Pics of the bike? Please say it is one of those screaming touring/dirt bike/enduro looking BMW's! :D

Take the crewman, Native, and SAK. That will cover all three ranges of tasks that I run across.

Pics of the bike? Please say it is one of those screaming touring/dirt bike/enduro looking BMW's! :D

As was mine! A mandarin yellow BMW F650GS with full touratech kit and Garmin Sat-Nav. The perfect tool for all round touring and I loved it. Then some thieving scumbag had to take it from me :mad:

As was mine! A mandarin yellow BMW F650GS with full touratech kit and Garmin Sat-Nav. The perfect tool for all round touring and I loved it. Then some thieving scumbag had to take it from me :mad:

Don't worry. Those people get theirs.

I love the yellow. :thumbup:

Didn't the Star Wars Ben Kenobi guy ride one of those across Europe, or the world, or Mars or something?

I hear they broke the frame and had to weld it up. :D

Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman in "The long way round".

They did it on silver 1150 GS's with the full kit like mine. It was Claudio, their cameraman who broke his frame in a nasty crash. Boorman managed to repair it with the cheap toolkit spanners and lots of cable ties! They then had it welded at a ramshackle welding shop. Great bikes though!

You list Connecticut as your location, and I presume you will be starting here and heading out west. I hope that you take the limitations imposed by Connecticut's laws and those of other states into consideration when planning this trip. Remember, the knife you choose must have a blade where the edged portion is not greater than 4" in length (see 53-206-Carrying of Dangerous Weapons Prohibited and 29-38, regarding weapons in motor vehicles. Also, look into the laws in the states you'll be traveling through. No doubt, some will be quirky as well.

An SAK is a nice knife, but your multitool already covers most things an SAK would do. Maybe a Buck 110 would be a nice folder for such a purpose or a smaller Buck Ranger.

Back