• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Knife Grinder For Sale /Berger Hollow Grinder / Model HS 2/S-H

Snody

Maker of Fine Knives & Leather Goods
Greetings Friends.

For Sale....

Berger Hollow Grinding Machine Model HS 2/S-H

Operation: Grinding of Knife Blades
Grinding Length: 21.5"

This machine is designed for grinding high production lots in automatic mode...

$ Horizontal Grinding Machine
$ Angular Position of Grinding Heads 45`
$ Two (2) Spindle Motors 10 HP each
$ Two (2) Gear Trains for infeed and rapid traverse of grinding wheels
$ Infinitely adjustable plunge feed for the grinding wheels (determine shape of plunge)
$ Infinitely variable adjustment of the grinding arm for three different grinding areas (plunge, main, tip)

This machine was built in 1991

Located in Corpus Christi Texas and Sold As Is / Where Is

This machine is not under power..

Buyer must pick up machine..

Retail Price for this machine from Berger is $184,000.00 (one hundred eighty four thousand dollars)

My price for this machine is $19.995.00 (nineteen thousand nine hundred ninety five dollars)

Price Reduction................$14,995.00

Berger Hollow Grinding Machine Model HS 2/S-H
Price $19,995.00 //////////Price Reduction.....New Price $14,995.00

Please contact me for more information....361 443 0161

berger8.jpg

berger5.jpg

berger3.jpg

berger1.jpg

berger19.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet Jesus, that is a monster.:eek:

I love machines, just to have that beauty sitting in the shop would be a real trip.

Fred

Sweet Jesus, that is a monster.:eek:

I love machines, just to have that beauty sitting in the shop would be a real trip.

Fred

Thanks Friend.

Your right.... its very, very cool sitting in the shop.

It is a green monster....

I hate to sell it but I have three of them and I just do not have enough space for everything..

Have a good 1..

Snody- The bottom picture of your sig is great. I love it especialy the shiny tooth--Marekz

Video Shot of the Berger Hollow Grinder this afternoon...

I am open to trades on anything of value $$

This is an incredible machine, I already have two large Siepmanns and another Berger or I would not be selling this grinder...

Thanks for looking.....

[youtube]JxFJdKa-Nks[/youtube]

New Pictures and a Huge Price Drop.$$$$

This machine came from the Schrade Factory when they went bankrupt a few years ago... I was told that when it was taken out of service it worked good.
Schrade maintained this machine very well and it has been stored with care.

We will load the grinder for the customer...Pick up in Texas Only...

Sold As Is / Where Is...

Huge Price Reduction.....$14,995.00

This grinder appears to be in excellent condition
It has twin 10 horsepower motors driving the twin grinding wheels.
480/3/60

This grinder is capable of grinding over 300 4" blades per hour //// 3k blades per day.

Will trade for guns, knifemaking materials/equipment or precious metals/jewelry....

Please call if you have any questions...361 443 0161

berg.jpg

berg1.jpg

berg3.jpg

berg5.jpg

berg44.jpg

berg9.jpg

[youtube]JxFJdKa-Nks[/youtube]

Hey Mike, cool machine :thumbup:

Are you using the other Berger and Siepmann machines you mentioned for grinding Snody Blades now ?

What controls this machine ?

Is it computer controlled servo motors or is it similar to a Deckel, where you need a model for a stylus to follow......?

Could you please post a short video of the running Berger Grinder that you have ?

I would very much like to see the brother of this one in operation.

I programmed and set-up CNC Mills for a good part of my life and would like to get an idea if I've got what it takes to get this bad boy up and running.........

Video of the running Berger would help immensely.

Thanks Buddy ;) :thumbup:

:cool:

Hey Mike, cool machine :thumbup:

Are you using the other Berger and Siepmann machines you mentioned for grinding Snody Blades now ?

What controls this machine ?

Is it computer controlled servo motors or is it similar to a Deckel, where you need a model for a stylus to follow......?

Could you please post a short video of the running Berger Grinder that you have ?

I would very much like to see the brother of this one in operation.

I programmed and set-up CNC Mills for a good part of my life and would like to get an idea if I've got what it takes to get this bad boy up and running.........

Video of the running Berger would help immensely.

Thanks Buddy ;) :thumbup:

Thanks for the post....

Its a hydraulic machine with a "model" like you described.

In this picture you can see the "pattern or model" on the bottom of the grinding arm....This arm moves straight in and the blade is ground on both sides at once.
berg3.jpg

The "pattern or template" is connected to the bottom of the grinding arm with four bolts and the blade sits on the perch back about a foot where the yellow loader clamps are. I have about thirty "models" that should cover just about any blade profile you could ever grind..

Snody Knives are all ground by hand. My focus has always been on Hand Made Knives...In fact we dont even use laser or waterjet.
I do it the old fashioned way and keep everything right here in Texas.
I have used the Siepmanns to surface grind barstock but thats it....

When Schrade went out of business they held an auction in New York.
One of my good friends purchased this grinder as well as several others...
I ended up buying a Huge Lot of Equipment including Injection Molding, Glazing Machines, Monstrous belt grinders and Production Buffers with 10 horsepower motors etc, etc....
ger6.jpg

begr3.jpg

If this Berger doesnt sell this month we are going to strip it down.
Take off all the hydraulic controls, the auto wheel wear sensors, the electrical cabinets etc.

I will strip it down to two grinding wheels and two motors and hand load blades into the grinding arm reducing everything to one operation ...

In automatic mode it will grind over 300 blades an hour....

Manually I know I can feed it 20 blades an hour or so...

Hope this information helps....Please call me if you need more info
361 443 0161

Last edited:
Thanks Mike :)

I really appreciate the explanation of how the Berger Grinder works :thumbup:

In regards to my question about Snody Blades, and how they are ground .....................

Snody Knives are all ground by hand. My focus has always been on Hand Made Knives...In fact we dont even use laser or waterjet.
I do it the old fashioned way and keep everything right here in Texas.
I have used the Siepmanns to surface grind barstock but thats it....

Thats what I thought ;)

I'm sure the Berger does a fine job........ but, Snody Blades just look too d*mn good to be coming off of an automatic :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks again Mike .......... :cool:

Now there is my idea of what a REAL grinding jigg is, hey Fred !!!! Andb in another life, man would I go for that !!!! Frank

Thanks to everyone who posted.

This grinder is Sold.

Special thanks to Mark Knapp, you Rock Bro.

1986 Heinz Berger Rotary Table Grinding Machine, Type: RST-5, Machine No. 4053/1, 5-head
IMG_0162.jpgIMG_0163.jpg

hello there, just saw this very old post and tried to pm you (as I know this may no longer relevant) but I can't get through, perhaps your messaging is turned off... in case you still have some parts lying around when you strip it down or maybe this machine is still intact then please pm me as we might be interested... thanks and trust this message finds you well. cheers

Back