Photos Knife Identification #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
You made about five posts giving the guy a hard time and there were another few criticizing him and I make one to ask why and that makes the the irony pretty thick. If he uses the image of a particular knife in a video game it is a lot more likely to sell some knives for that knife company than do them any harm. Knife companies copy other company's designs all the time. How many Gerber Mark I and 11 or a Randall 1 clones are out there: dozens as well as so many other cases of 'homages' / copies. How many traditional slip joint knife designs are copied by many companies; again dozens. There are a lot of big knife companies out there doing it all the time. If he was copying a knife for a company that was going to produce it as a real knife I would agree with most of your posts, but I don't care about knives in a video game any more than somebody drawing a picture of one. What if an artist wanted a good picture of a particular knife so that he could render it realisticly in a painting? I have a realistic tattoo of a UDT knife, should I pay a royalty to Imperial for it?

I'm sorry, did you actually just use the "They don't need to get paid, they'll get exposure!" excuse? The favorite of deadbeats everywhere who routinely rip artists off without paying them a cent, with the mantra of "Don't worry, you'll be repaid by other people who discover you through your work that I've stolen!".

Frankly, this post from you says an awful lot about you, much of which I'm fairly sure you aren't aware of. This ain't it, chief. Wow.

I never said it was for a phone app. It's just a non-profit video game I'm making. I prefer to play with my friends. Nothing wrong with that. I wanted to use real designs for the knives and this seemed like the best place to inquire about said design since I'm not a huge knife guy myself.

This game will NEVER be redistributed for ANY profit. I will not make ANY money off of it. That's perfectly legal. Lots of freelance programmers do that all the time. It's not a big deal. Not every video game ends up in the market place. And I suspect you would be just as judgmental towards me even if the answer had been something else.

If you hate me so much, fine. I don't think you were going to give me a fair chance anyway. But you're not getting anything out of camping in the thread to continue harassing me. And the truth is that your insistence on doing so is really immature. Why don't you just leave? It won't make you any less of a man.

All I'm seeing here is false insistence, and irritation at having had your excuses seen through. You see, I know several folks who have made successful video games (all of which are sold on the Apple App store). It's a lot of work, so you'll forgive me if I see through your "It's just for my FRIENDS, I'll never try to make any profit off of what's going to be a significant number of hours worth of work!" So, where do you plan to sell this game? I'm guessing Steam, in the Indie section?

If you just want to have fun with your friends, why not just use some generic knife design? Or come up with your own? I guarantee it'll be at least as useful as those knives you've been trying to hard to find. Anyway, you seem really against any sort of criticism, and it took this long to really see what your end goal was. I wish you the best of luck with it all.

All I'm seeing here is false insistence, and irritation at having had your excuses seen through. You see, I know several folks who have made successful video games (all of which are sold on the Apple App store). It's a lot of work, so you'll forgive me if I see through your "It's just for my FRIENDS, I'll never try to make any profit off of what's going to be a significant number of hours worth of work!" So, where do you plan to sell this game? I'm guessing Steam, in the Indie section?

If you just want to have fun with your friends, why not just use some generic knife design? Or come up with your own? I guarantee it'll be at least as useful as those knives you've been trying to hard to find. Anyway, you seem really against any sort of criticism, and it took this long to really see what your end goal was. I wish you the best of luck with it all.
I've tried SO very hard to be patient and calm through all of this, but I've had it with your incessant bile and rudeness.
So I'll start with answering your questions:
1. No. I'm not selling it to anyone. Not to Apple, not to Steam, not to anyone else.
2. Because these are the designs I wanted to go with. If that's not a good enough answer, fine.
3. Because I don't know enough about knives to just come up with designs on my own. If I did, I wouldn't have come here in the first place.

What you're REALLY seeing is just what you WANT to see. You've concocted this delusion in your head that I'm doing this for selfish reasons and you're so determined to act like the bigger man and be right, that you're lying to yourself. You're ignoring the facts to the point where you won't listen to reason at all. You just dismiss me telling the truth and cling to this false explanation you want to believe. You've convinced yourself of lies and you're presenting them to me like they're logic. I've had friends who design video games too. And you know what? Not all of us are in it for the money. Some of us just enjoy making and playing the games. Look on YouTube. A lot of programmers make games and never ask for a cent.

Yeah. A game takes a lot of effort and hard work, but anything worth doing takes effort doesn't it? I bet it didn't just take you a day to become a knife expert. And I bet you wouldn't have liked it if someone had been hovering over your shoulder the whole time, accusing you of having sinister ulterior motives. Yet you insist on doing so to me and I don't appreciate that. So what if I'm putting a lot of time and effort into this? That's just how I do things. There's nothing sinister about it. I just get REALLY into stuff I like. There are people in the world who are like that you know? What's more, don't pretend like you're in this to achieve any greater good. You're not doing this to try to help me or to keep the peace. You're just being a bully without even getting anything out of it. It's not that I can't take criticism, it's that I'm choosing not to put up with your harassment. Me clogging up the forum with too many threads? Yeah. That was my bad. I just didn't like the thought of keeping it direct with one thread at a time. But I'm sorry for the inconvenience I caused with that. That was never my intention. But the rest? That's your own personal gripes that only have YOUR interests in mind.

And I would like to point out that the "logic" you're trying to use to demonize me doesn't even hold up. Think about it! I'm using REAL models of knives, not the in-game ones. I may be inspired by fictional designs, but all the knives I'd be using actually exist. Even if there were something ethically wrong against being inspired by their fictional equivalents, at the end of the day, I'd still be in the same position as if I'd just stumbled across the non-fictional designs another way. And let's say your BS about me wanting to sell the game was true. Then that would mean I'd have to jump through a bunch of legal hoops to be able to sell it ANYWHERE. In which case, I would need to get the legal permission of every knife company I was using a model from. If they gave it to me, I would be legally permitted to use them in my game. If they didn't, then I would be legally obligated to use different knives. And if I was the selfish money-grubbing vulture you make me out to be, then I would completely cave on it. In either case, I would be doing everything nice and legal. I wouldn't be "stealing" anything.

But I imagine you might retort with how I'm showing a lack of integrity, and trying to exploit knife experts' knowledge for my own profit. Well considering I won't be selling the game, I'm not getting any money in return. So this really is only a semantic issue. All it's doing is just changing the visuals and terminology a bit. Since I'm not doing it for profit, all that's happening is I'm getting questions answered, and it's influencing gameplay slightly. It won't have any legal repercussions whatsoever. And even if you were right and I was lying, I would still be paying royalties for some of the non-fictional knife designs and not be allowed to use the rest. So the companies would still profit. Then, if anything, by asking those questions here, I'd be HELPING the companies with the royalty money, not stealing from them.

So if you refuse to accept any of that, fine. It's not my fault if you can't see the truth (Although, I hope for your sake that some day you learn not to be so quick to cut people down and assume the worst in them). But I've put up with your harassment for too long and this is me standing up to it. If you still refuse to walk away and just get on with your life, so be it. But that won't make any of your lies or slander about me true.

I'm sorry, did you actually just use the "They don't need to get paid, they'll get exposure!" excuse? The favorite of deadbeats everywhere who routinely rip artists off without paying them a cent, with the mantra of "Don't worry, you'll be repaid by other people who discover you through your work that I've stolen!".

Frankly, this post from you says an awful lot about you, much of which I'm fairly sure you aren't aware of. This ain't it, chief. Wow.

Amazing analysis by an armchair psychologist; well you have certainly said just as much about yourself which I am sure that many are already aware of. Yeah Wow.

M Matthias Descartes

Hey man, you seem to have had a rough start here on the Forum. Please bear in mind you’re gonna get a lot of different opinions, comments, and feedback. Facts will still be facts, and there are a lot of things us Forumites agree on universally, and some we don’t.

It’s all good.

But in some instances, we understand the need to stand up for the makers and manufacturers that we all hold dear. Many times we have seen over and over their work be copied, counterfeited, and stolen.

So the Forum being what it is, as a community of folks who share a common interest in this hobby, leads to it’s members looking out for our own.

Stick around, navigate the vast amount of data on this site, get to know a few members, engage in the hobby.

BladeForums is more than just a site to get free information from. It’s a place of refuge for me, personally. I love this place. Give it some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back