Knife Identification (Based on Real Model?) #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, I can appreciate how much you guys care about the seriousness of knife design and I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. But I DID post this thread to get a serious answer. If you don't have one to give, that's fine. But please stick to the topic.

Yes, I am well aware it is of fictional design, not based in reality. But as the original post said, I will settle for the closest real world equivalent. Nothing against anyone who can't tell me what that would be, but if you're one of those people, please just say so instead of posting Star Wars jokes or lecturing me on how unrealistic the design is. You can also leave the thread.

I'm making a sincere effort to be professional about this, and I would very much appreciate you all extending the same courtesy. I came here because I respect your expertise. So if you care to employ it and help me find the answer I'm looking for, then I'll willing to listen. Otherwise, please stop posting unrelated content or complaints about the lack of realism to this thread.

The thing is these posts are not really about knives, they are about fantasy content of video games. Why should the main page of this forum be clogged up with post after post asking about fantasy knives that don't really exist in the real world, displacing the usual threads with actual knife content that you would expect on a knife forum ? A single thread containing all the questions will also keep the content in one place were it can be found more easily by those so inclined to look.

Firstly, I can appreciate where you're coming from, and let me assure you that I in no way mean to detract from the seriousness of the topic. I am sorry you feel that I am not concerned with real knife design. But let me say that it is quite the opposite of what I feel. It frustrates me to no end that I have encountered various knives whose designs intrigue me, yet make no attempt to be realistic. I would prefer it if video games used more realistic concepts in certain aspects, but there is nothing I can do about that. But what I CAN do is talk to experts such as yourselves to try to educate myself to avoid the same mistakes in the future when I am developing my own games. Thus, I am here trying to learn about knife design.

Secondly, this forum was recommended to me by Bernard Levine himself. I first attempted to contact him with the same issue, and he recommended me to the users of this forum, claiming they were "more knowledgeable" about this sort of thing. I do apologize if the unconventional nature of my inquiries frustrates you, or if you feel that I give no concern to the seriousness of the work that goes on in this forum. But as an intellectual, I would like to emphasize that I am aware of my limits and feel the best approach is to consult experts more qualified than myself in this matter. And there is a distinct lack of sites of this nature in existence. Were there a site such as this: http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Main_Page for knives, you have my assurance that I would be spending my time there.

Thirdly, while it WOULD ideally be more convenient to have all the questions in one place, where so many people could contribute and answer them systematically. But in my experience that has not been the case. As I've seen, many forum questions that are lengthy and involved tend to lose interaction as time goes on. As vague unsatisfactory answers accumulate, many often begin to feel that their own efforts are unnecessary, causing the motivation to address it dwindle as time goes on. This would be tremendously disappointing were it to happen to me. But perhaps, after the list is reduced, I will attempt it and see if there is any success.

Fourthly, I would like to point out that after posting the first identification thread, I did decide to move the whole system to the "Collecting and Identification" section of the forum. I had set up another version of the first thread in the same format that I used for this one. But, I found myself unable to delete the initial thread that I had posted in the general section. So it remained open. However, I still focused on the thread in the "Collecting and Identification" section. No sooner had I begun to monitor this new thread, when I began getting a surplus of replies in the original, that eventually lead to the answer I sought. Meanwhile the one I set up in the "Collecting and Identification" section received much less specific results. With this in mind, I figured that setting up the thread twice (once in this section and again in the "Collecting and Identification" section) would increase the likelihood of me getting results. If you don't believe me, you can still find this very subject in the "Collecting and Identification" section, with no replies posted as of yet: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/knife-identification-based-on-real-model-2.1753196/. At the time I posted this thread twice, I didn't imagine that posting it in this section would provoke such irritation. If continuing to do so guarantees such unpleasantness from the users on this forum, then I will henceforth post solely to the "Collecting and Identification" section so that I will no longer "displace the usual threads". I would even be willing to delete the threads to resolve this if I knew how to do so.

Lastly, I can assure you having such unpleasant interactions on this site was never my intention. I do detest interaction that carries hostile and/or annoyed undertones. If I have displeased anyone with my activity here, I apologize and offer my assurance that I made no attempt to do so. I simply came here to have some knives identified. But I don't like the thought of getting into an argument over it. I'm willing to do what it takes to resolve this issue so there is no bad blood with any other users on this forum. But I still intend to find the answers I seek. If the only way to do so is to no longer post on the main section of this forum, so be it. I apologize if I upset anyone on this thread and do hope that interaction on this site will be better going forward.

to educate myself to avoid the same mistakes in the future when I am developing my own games. Thus, I am here trying to learn about knife design

Unless you are making a game about knife fighting and collecting them, sort of a Pokemon for sharp things, you are putting way too much effort into something that won't matter that much. Make a few basic grips, a few slightly different blade shapes and bam you are done. If you want real life designs, contact some companies and makers to license their designs. Do you actually work for a studio?

I'm not allowed to go into too much detail. Confidentiality you know. But can't we just agree to let bygones be bygones and go back to what our normal activity on this forum? No hard feelings?

Seems to me these video game "knife designers" go out of their way to make these fantastical and not practical. Nothing wrong with art knives, but they are designed to be hung on the wall more often than they are designed to be used for any practical purpose. You would do well to study the offerings of Kit Rae and Gill Hibbin.

Seems to me these video game "knife designers" go out of their way to make these fantastical and not practical. Nothing wrong with art knives, but they are designed to be hung on the wall more often than they are designed to be used for any practical purpose. You would do well to study the offerings of Kit Rae and Gill Hibbin.
Well you make some very good points, but I still want to know the closest real world equivalent to it. And I think that I have every right to pursue that.

I also get the vibe that this thread's not going to be able get back on track. So I think I'm just gonna consider this thread closed. If anyone actually wants to continue helping me identify a real world equivalent for the knife, Please post replies on my other thread of the same name.

Not a argument are you planning on building this knife ? Or just want to buy one like it ?

And I'm disappointed that this thread has turned into an argument. I just wanted to identify a knife.
Well there's your problem right there!!

It's not a knife; it's a virtual prop. If you get too serious or demanding about your information quest people aren't going to help. You wouldn't even post pictures.

It's too much work for zero return to help folks that act like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back