Knife Laws in Ontario Canada

Hi After talking to two police officers yesterday about Assisted opening knives, Here in Ontario. I was told that they are 100% ILLEGAL to carry in Ontario since some law they passed in 2008 if anyone can point me to this law so i can take a look at it or knows more about it i would greatly like to know!

I googled Canadian federal legislation and this is what I found. I also put the link below. Hope this helps

“prohibited weapon” means

(a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, or
(b) any weapon, other than a firearm, that is prescribed to be a prohibited weapon;

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/page-36.html#h-37

From that definition, my interpretation is that it's not illegal due to the flipper or thumb stud not being a part of the handle but of the blade. If there was a release on the handle it
Would be prohibited. The knife companies have found a valuable lopole. I think that they will leave that law as it is because any quality one handed opening knife can be just as fast as an assisted.

I googled Canadian federal legislation and this is what I found. I also put the link below. Hope this helps

“prohibited weapon” means

(a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, or
(b) any weapon, other than a firearm, that is prescribed to be a prohibited weapon;

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/page-36.html#h-37

Sorry dude i am fully aware of Canadian laws and many people say that they are not illegal but what shocked me was that there was 2 Ontario police and both said knives that open by assisted opening where Illegal! and he even took a knife out of his pocket and showed me just want i was saying to him a knife that starts open with the thumb and then springs open when it starts opening and he said yes they are Illegal I was shocked because all my favorites knives i own are assisted opening i find it very useful if you need a knife fast and only have one hand.

What bothers me the most is all the gray area people talk about I own a ZT 301 and before i will take it out and take a chance of losing it from being confiscated. I want to know 110% that if i carry it and someone sees it, I'm not going to get it taken away, I just wish there was a way to know for sure 100% so if your ever confronted with someone trying to confiscate it you have proof that they can't!:confused::confused::confused:

IANAL, but Canada has a federal law concerning "gravity" blades. Basically police have stuck people with illegal knife charges because you can flick the knife open. On the other hand: http://www.akti.org/news/canadian-judge-rules-assisted-opening-knives-not-weapons

I am unaware of any provincial (Ontario) law from 2008 regarding knife carry, but timing wise it is interesting that the above report was in mid-2007.

For my own part, on the occasions that I visit Toronto the only cutting tool on me is in my Leatherman Micra.

but what shocked me was that there was 2 Ontario police and both said knives that open by assisted opening where Illegal!

Those two cops were just plain wrong.
Absolutely, 100% wrong.
Sadly, many police don't know the law when it comes to things like this.
Which is understandable, as assisted opening knives are a TINY part of what they deal with.

Those two cops were just plain wrong.
Absolutely, 100% wrong.
Sadly, many police don't know the law when it comes to things like this.
Which is understandable, as assisted opening knives are a TINY part of what they deal with.

Very sad and very true. Unfortunately there are so many laws that our brave police officers can't possibly know each of them to the letter. That's what lawyers are for. Sadly.
Basically if the police officer "feels" that your knife is prohibited you'll get in some sort of trouble from fines to confiscation. My suggestion is to carry two, one that you can "safely" use in public like a small SAK and the one you really want to carry.

Very sad and very true. Unfortunately there are so many laws that our brave police officers can't possibly know each of them to the letter. That's what lawyers are for. Sadly.
Basically if the police officer "feels" that your knife is prohibited you'll get in some sort of trouble from fines to confiscation. My suggestion is to carry two, one that you can "safely" use in public like a small SAK and the one you really want to carry.

Thanks guys but i wish their was some kind of document that says Assised knives are ok to carry in canada so you can just say " see its says here' so you don't have to worry and and EFFNIN i am right with you offend if i go for a hike i carry 3 or more but i only want to carry one around and that's my ZT301 and i don't want some guy taking it from me there pricey and not easy on the bank to replace.

Someone needs to see a judge or someone and get a peace of paper that people can carry to cover them selves from getting there knives taken and if anyone knows how to prove that they are not Illegal in Ontario i would love to know!!!:confused::confused::confused:

They are legal. Iv contacted many many constables and have asked this question. It is legal to carry them. They do try to give you the run around by avoiding these sorts of questions (atleast in my experience). But just know your facts and you should be fine.

Thanks guys, I don't know they are Legal in Canada, but what I'm having the problem with is the law in Ontario Canada that's the sticker! They say its Illegal here in Ontario so i have to find out some kind of way to prove they are legal and print it out to carry in my bag in-case i run across some officer or law man trying to take my knife because its awesome and he wants it for him self!

If i could find some kind of paper or a letter from some office saying its ok to carry in Ontario that would be great I just don't want to take the chance carrying it and getting it taken not worth it unless i can prove its legal!

I see that doc you linked to says they are ok to carry and Legal in Page 11 paragraph 23 but does it apply to Ontario or does Ontario law supersede it, that's the question thank you very much for everyone who is trying to help me work this out I extremely grateful!

No matter what piece of paper you find that says it's legal, they can still say it's not and take the knife. You should then take their names and precincts and go get it back. They would have to fine you and you could fight that and they would have to prove that it was illegal. As for the document, that is a national document and could be superseded by local laws. You could ask the cops themselves where to find the law or ask them if it is a law or bylaw. They would then have to prove their point.

No matter what piece of paper you find that says it's legal, they can still say it's not and take the knife. You should then take their names and precincts and go get it back. They would have to fine you and you could fight that and they would have to prove that it was illegal. As for the document, that is a national document and could be superseded by local laws. You could ask the cops themselves where to find the law or ask them if it is a law or bylaw. They would then have to prove their point.

next time i see a cop i will do that ask for the law and where to find it and i can see for myself and i will post what i find or if there is any cops on bladeforums from Ontario or anyone who knows the law for sure and can point it out i would love the help thank you Tattooedfreak for your help!

I am sure. :)

Thank you forcedestrike but until i can find some kind of proof i can carry i think i will just leave my assisted opening knives in my home it SUCKS but i don't want to chance losing them there needs to be proof out there and once i find it i will post it on my site and in my forum so everyone will know!

Proof that there is no law against it?

<proof>

There is no law against it.

</proof>

?

Canada is still a free country, if there is no law against it- I can carry it. Its not illegal by default. :)

You will never find a law that says you "can" do something. You will only find out what you can't do.
If you're so skeptical, then don't carry the knife.

Back