Knife Number 13 - a Cave Bear Tooth

Well, actually this might be number 14 but this one is finished and the one I started before it is at Wild Rose for sheath making and I still have to do final buff, maker's etch, and edge sharpen before I can call that one finished. So I guess this is 13.

Pics are here: http://riflestocks.tripod.com/pics10.html

Thanks to all, once again. Roger

Rodger...there is just nothing I Don't like about that knife. Beautiful lines, great workmanship, the damascus is stunning and the handle is out of this world...A+++++++

Roger, Good looking knife! How large was the tooth before you made a handle out of it? Is this damascus you made, if so your doing a heck of a job. Thought you were just messing with cable... Ray

Thanks so very much both of you. I figured I better jump back in here pretty quick to clear up any mis-assumptions. NO. I did not make the steel. It is Thunderforged damascus and the first damascus I have worked with. I flat ground it from 1/8th inch stock.

I only ground off a small amount of the original fang length. I would guess 1/4 inch from the forward end. I got the tooth from Chuck Leake (akivory) a few months back and studied it a long time before finally getting up the nerve to grind and drill it.

Working this ancient ivory can be a slow process because of the inherent cracks from age. Getting it too hot can cause cracks to enlarge and grinding too course can break off pieces here and there. Slow and patient is the game with stuff like this. I grind a little and super glue cracks; grind and super glue; again and again until the thickness is acheived.

RL

Thanks Jay. Would you like to hold it in your hands?? Ask Tess if she'll make a sheath for it and please let me know. Thanks. RL

Very nicely done, the ivory spacers are a neat touch.
Thanks for the info on shaping the tusk.
Regards,
Greg

way cool roger! i use that thunderforge stuff on some of my three finger skinners. it ok for the price.decent pattern and i can sell them for around $150.oo

Roger- yes, yes, yes...here's Tess.

Hey Roger, I would love to make a sheath for that knife. It really is beautiful. Maybe some fringe, maybe some tooling...I'll send you a message. Tess

Rodger, you knives are getting better and better. I looked at all of your knives on you website. Keep up the good work. -chris

Roger looks like my earlier note got lost in downtime. I like this a lot! The white spacers really set that tooth off Roger, you have excellent taste. Thanks for sharing. You should see my 13th knife...looks great from a distance and has gotten me some business, but truly it sucks. Your 13th knife certainly doesn't! :eek: That's fine work man.

Roger that is a very nice knife ! Well done my friend. Now the only thing I can see it needs is a matching folder :)

Beautifull Work....so much talent in this site, amazing

I have a question that has nothing to do with your knife, but related to the blade material. the term "damascus steel" refers to the pattern of the material?

As far as i know, damascus steel is what terrified the Europeans when they sweept into the mid east, and recieved a nasty surprise when Arab blades sliced into their armor. The Damascus referred to the type and strength of the steel itself. Today, it seems the damascus is the pattern, because there seems to be many different types of steel called this..?

Man that is really Excelent !!!!

Love the tooth,Do you have his web address handy? I would like to see one of those teeth in person,I just love the ancient Ivories on a knife.
Bruce

Bruce, I got that tooth from akivory (Chuck Leake). I don't know if he has any left or not. I am happy a real maker such as you like it. Maybe I'll become a knife maker someday afterall.

Toolmaker, thank you. I hope someone with more damascus experience answers your question in better detail. It is more than one type or composition of metal heat welded and folded together. It is folded a number of times and heat welded to laminate the bar. That's about all I think I know about it.

RL

Rlinger,You are doing very awesome work on your knives,I believe you are a knifemaker already.Me I am still learning new things with every knife.I wish I could remeber the site that was posted a few years ago they had all kinds of bones and teeth,Was curious about a saber tooth tiger tooth on a handle.The site was kind of morbid as they sold human bones but I looked past them at the other cool things they had,they may have some of the bear teeth.Guess I will just have to keep searching.

Toolmaker,Damascus is the name that is given to hammer welded steel in our knives.It can be as few as 10 layers and as high as a few thousand layers.The process is basic,you make a stack of alternating steels such as 1095 and 15n20,then heat them and flux them in the forge then heat again till at a welding heat.Then you hammer weld this stack together and after welding stretch the bar out untill you can cut in half and fold it onto itself then weld again,you keep this process going untill you reach the number of layers you are wanting.At this point you can manipulate the bar by cutting or grinding or drilling just to name a few,then finish forging the bar flat and then to the knife shape.Now grind and finish.You etch it to bring out the patterns in the steel but you can just leave the bar shiny and let it age to see the pattern such as you do in a oriental blade.Now days there is Mosaic Damascus and poder Damascus and even stainless Damascus,all beautiful and getting more and more complex everyday.Just keep hanging out here in the forums and learning,before long all your questions will be answered for you.
Bruce

Back