Knife or Death

I think those are great ideas! Right now, we are just in talks with ITV Casting. I questioned how it would be handled if both of us made it through since we are married, and all she could tell me was that the final decision is up to The History Channel. o_O
I wonder if there's a way to get the casting folks to put that bee in the producer's bonnets?

If they ask you 2 for more videos, maybe you can each pop in at the end of each other's video and pose that idea?

Think about the fun they could have with such a format: married couples vs BSI pairs vs LARPers in full outfits and mixed couples with a pair of a chopper and a martial artist with speed/finesse etc.

And by mixing the obstacles per section, the pairs can decide, "Hmmmm... you're better at flying fruit, but can you also handle that big XXXX in the section?". "I think this big ol blade is ideal for THAT, but I don't know about the finesse obstacles. Would the potential penalties for missing YYYY offset how fast I can smash through XXXX? Or should you handle this section while I handle the other?" etc.

I'm hoping they update the course to put less of an emphasis on large swords and more of an emphasis on knives, or change the name of the show to "Sword or Death"

Finesse cuts, skill cuts, accuracy cuts rather than just pure power and the women could hold their own against the men.
Yup.

As of right now, this season's courses are definitely biased towards a longer bladed, powerful 2-handed chopper like a Super Assassin waki.

The guy in last night's episode with his 2-handed chopper absolutely demolished stage 1. He could've potentially demolished stage 2 as well, if he wasn't so wild and focused on a little more finesse to not incur all those penalties.

But yes, at this time, the courses are significantly weighted towards a longer blade that can withstand abuse/heavy chopping, without much focus on speed, finesse and maneuverability/control.

The watermelons are really the only part that require speed and eye-hand coordination (the swinging jugs + candles to a lesser degree).

I also wonder, while watching each episode, if there are rules for how you're allowed to tackle things? I doubt they're that specific, after realizing that the competitors always had the option to cut the hanging meat, before risking dulling their blade on the hanging ice in stage 2.

Specifically regarding the watermelons, I keep wondering why the competitors don't hold the blade edge up, under the hole (or at least near it, if they're instructed not to hold the blade directly under the hole), and use a slight upward cut? Even if you're slow, the melon's gonna hit that edge and cut itself. Far easier than the guys trying to time a horizontal cut.

Finding a course balance between power and finesse is the tricky part, eg. stabbing targets would unfairly eliminate BSI style choppers (or any style blade without a pointy tip).

Last edited:
I wonder if there's a way to get the casting folks to put that bee in the producer's bonnets?

If they ask you 2 for more videos, maybe you can each pop in at the end of each other's video and pose that idea?

Think about the fun they could have with such a format: married couples vs BSI pairs vs LARPers in full outfits and mixed couples with a pair of a chopper and a martial artist with speed/finesse etc.

And by mixing the obstacles per section, the pairs can decide, "Hmmmm... you're better at flying fruit, but can you also handle that big XXXX in the section?". "I think this big ol blade is ideal for THAT, but I don't know about the finesse obstacles. Would the potential penalties for missing YYYY offset how fast I can smash through XXXX? Or should you handle this section while I handle the other?" etc.

Just completed my Skype interview with casting. It was brief because they were having technical issues prior to the call which put her a little behind. There wasn’t really an opportunity for chit-chat, but she did focus on the fact that they loved Jonny and would love to see us both on the show, but the ultimate decision is not theirs. Their job is to make us look good. :)

I'm hoping they update the course to put less of an emphasis on large swords and more of an emphasis on knives, or change the name of the show to "Sword or Death"

Finesse cuts, skill cuts, accuracy cuts rather than just pure power and the women could hold their own against the men.

I agree with you. Jonny even mentioned how making an episode/s for women only would be a good idea because it would be more evenly matched. I imagine it’s difficult to find enough women interested, though. I’m sure we will see changes in season 2, but who knows what they will be.

You’re both exactly what they’re looking for. I don’t work for the history channel, but I’ll bet my user EDC2 you both make it on.

That’s a pretty hefty bet there. I hope we do, and then I’ll pm you my address. ;)

Somewhere I saw a link, for people that would like to try out for season 2. Can anyone help me to find it? I think it was a Facebook link?

Not gonna happen with Bill Goldberg hosting. That brother has a reputation to maintain and sensationalization brings in more viewers and advertising $$$s. Otherwise, I'm totally with Ya :p

That’s a pretty hefty bet there. I hope we do, and then I’ll pm you my address. ;)
To be clear:
You both make it on - I keep my EDC2.
If either of you don’t make it on - I send it to the one who didn’t make it.
If both of you don’t make it on - I send it to the both of you and you can wrestle for ownership.
I’m a man of my word.
I’m also 100% sure I’ll be keeping it!

Not gonna happen with Bill Goldberg hosting. That brother has a reputation to maintain and sensationalization brings in more viewers and advertising $$$s. Otherwise, I'm totally with Ya :p
I dunno about that. They seem to LOVE bringing on these 'martial artists', adept at waving their blades in the air (but not necessarily as capable at chopping anything solid).

Think of an obstacle with say, 30 oranges suspended all over from a 30' x 30' grid ceiling, on varying lengths of string so they hang at different heights, ranging from 6' (neck/carotid for a tall person, reachable even for contestants under 5' tall), down to ~18" (knee height of a short person). No targets at the same height near/next to each other.

Contestants have 30 seconds to cut as many as they can. They don't need to be cut completely in half, but only cuts count. Slashing the string instead of the orange = miss.

If contestants are fast enough to cut/slash all 30 in less than 30 seconds, each second under the time limit is worth a bonus.

This would be an ideal showcase for someone with speed, accuracy and footwork, and would handicap the heavier, less manueveable choppers that have the edge in power, but not necessarily finesse and speed.

If, on the other hand, someone shows up with a long sword or katana, and have the ability to eyeball the hanging targets, and the skill and accuracy to cut multiple oranges with 1 cut, they deserve the time savings earned.

To be clear:
You both make it on - I keep my EDC2.
If either of you don’t make it on - I send it to the one who didn’t make it.
If both of you don’t make it on - I send it to the both of you and you can wrestle for ownership.
I’m a man of my word.
I’m also 100% sure I’ll be keeping it!

I knew what you meant. I’m not sure why my reply didn’t translate that way. Lol!

I wouldn’t take your knife from you. Jonny might be another story. ;)

I agree. I wish they would change the course up so you never know what to expect and which blades would be most suited.

Yup.

As of right now, this season's courses are definitely biased towards a longer bladed, powerful 2-handed chopper like a Super Assassin waki.

The guy in last night's episode with his 2-handed chopper absolutely demolished stage 1. He could've potentially demolished stage 2 as well, if he wasn't so wild and focused on a little more finesse to not incur all those penalties.

But yes, at this time, the courses are significantly weighted towards a longer blade that can withstand abuse/heavy chopping, without much focus on speed, finesse and maneuverability/control.

The watermelons are really the only part that require speed and eye-hand coordination (the swinging jugs + candles to a lesser degree).

I also wonder, while watching each episode, if there are rules for how you're allowed to tackle things? I doubt they're that specific, after realizing that the competitors always had the option to cut the hanging meat, before risking dulling their blade on the hanging ice in stage 2.

Specifically regarding the watermelons, I keep wondering why the competitors don't hold the blade edge up, under the hole (or at least near it, if they're instructed not to hold the blade directly under the hole), and use a slight upward cut? Even if you're slow, the melon's gonna hit that edge and cut itself. Far easier than the guys trying to time a horizontal cut.

Finding a course balance between power and finesse is the tricky part, eg. stabbing targets would unfairly eliminate BSI style choppers (or any style blade without a pointy tip).
Someone after me said tbe question was asked and that you are required to use the sharp edge of the blade. You must cut not smash.

Back