Knife prices vs diminishing returns

This also boils down to need vs want. I would venture to even say that most of us here all have more than we need anyway. It's the nature of the obsession we have sometimes; be it knives, cars, guns, watches, or pens etc.

That's it in a nutshell. Needs vs wants.

Because the people here are all obsessed knife nuts, they feel the want for the more expensive knife because they rationalize the need for it. The truth is, most of the rest of the world gets by just fine with knives that most here would turn their noses up at. If you have a SAK in a pocket and a mora on the belt, your already ahead of most and well equipped for almost anything that you need to do cutting wise.

But that SAK and mora does not feed the Id or the ego as well as the high dollar knife. And so much of the knife sales are ego driven. I doubt there are many here who even need much knife in their work cubicle day, Walter Mitty fantasies aside.

I've traveled 180 degrees on this course. I used to accumulate high end knives in my younger get days in the belief that I was getting a "better" knife. I had a Barry Wood folder in my pocket and a Randall for belt use. After time, I discovered that both were actually a highly mediocre knife and as over priced as they were over hyped. I now carry a SAK in a pocket.

I had to go back and read the original post. The question as I read it was what's the point of diminishing returns for us "average" knife nuts.
For me it's a 2 answer question:
Everything I need a working knife for I've purchased for under $30.
But when it comes to the tough work like slicing up an apple, banana, or other stubborn fruits I like to have a nice $400-$500 blade in my hands. And it need to open fast, be built with exacting tolerances, perfect fit and finish, hold an edge , and most importantly, look good doing it.

If you are ignoring exotic materials and focusing purely on cutting performance and overall utility value, anything much over $300 in the factory knife world yields diminishing returns. This is of course highly dependent on the needs of the user as well.

In the custom arena, I would say that value increases to $900 or so.

At a certain point you are paying for design, craftsmanship and sometimes groupie generated hype. The majority of expensive knives cut no better than less expensive options.

If someone only required a knife that cut well, they could simply purchase a $14 Opinel and they would be well equipped.

It really comes down to your needs and your definition of performance and value.

There is nothing wrong with buying "value" knives, nor is there anything wrong with buying expensive knives that may or may not perform better.

This concept of diminishing returns hit me when thinking about a flash light. We certainly have flash light nuts here. As said, it is "need versus want" in most cases with knives. I generally use the inexpensive Vic knives ($8-$12) the most in the kitchen, but I certainly can understand and respect the higher end knife used in the kitchen.

Yeah, Cvrobinson, most of my needs have been very satisfied with a $30-$50 knife for the most part. It is one of the reasons that I compare just about everything to a Spydie Delica with VG-10 steel and they exceed $50 now.

Last edited:
it's been awhile since I bought a work knife, (mostly I use an old G-96) but I have to agree 22-rimfire 22-rimfire that the delica is a fine reference point of value vs performance.
Just that thru time priorities change.
Currently 6 $30 +- edc work knives , 45 $200-$500 fruit killers, and a few nice ones that are like " are you crazy, you can't cut with that one an don't touch the blade, you'll ruin it" we do not become saner as we age

My thought is that I really cant see what a 300.00 knife will do that a decent 75.00 knife cant do.. I all reality.. I would guess that probably 75% of us will never use that 300.00 knife to its full capacity.. Heck.. Not even the 75.00 knife either.. This is all JMO as a 50yr knife carrier.. John:)

My current limit is 200.00 for something really special to me, whatever that would be. Most of my edc s now are 75-150 dollars.

It sounds like lot of people don't fully comprehend "diminishing returns".

If your answer is that diminishing returns in practicality/functionality *begin* at $N, then you're saying that a $N knife is 2× as practical/functional as a $N÷2 knife. If you don't discuss and rationalize the latter statement, then you're not making a point about diminishing returns.

Also, your personal spending limit, the average knife price in your collection, and your attitudes about which retail price points demand which super steels, have nothing to do with diminishing returns.

Back