1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

  2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

    Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!


    Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Knife Prices

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by bld522, Oct 15, 2014.

  1. Colinz

    Colinz

    Feb 16, 2001
    ...or production moves forward. Nigeria anyone?
     
  2. sabre cat

    sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

    Jul 4, 2014
    You might not be to far off with that. A pattern shows up if you look at the history of where wealth is located within the world. For most of modern history, North America and Europe have held about 80% with the other 20% scattered through out the globe. Many banks and private companies are now looking at Africa with great interest. I recently had the chance to listen in on a talk from one banker claiming that unless something changes, Africa is the new area for world investments and that 20-25 years down the road the 80/20 split will be closer to 60/40 with much of the wealth shifted to Africa. Of course we can't forget about China.
     
  3. Pointshoot777

    Pointshoot777 Gold Member Gold Member

    735
    Feb 16, 2001
    The prices of most things are going up - even though the government says otherwise using manipulated 'statistics'. Along with that comes less for your money - in terms of quality and quantity. Over time producers cannot offer the buyer what they did in the past and keep it at a price that the customers can afford and will pay. Undoubtedly many of us have seen this across a wide range of products.

    Check out "What Has the Government Done to Our Money ?" by economist Murray Rothbard. Fortunately, it can be found online for free here:

    http://mises.org/document/617/What-Has-Government-Done-to-Our-Money

    (Now back to knives ! I come here to relax and forget all this economics stuff - for a little while anyway.)
     
  4. RevDevil

    RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

    Nov 9, 2009
    Guys, lets not turn this into a discussion on global economics. We need to stick to the topic.
     
  5. bld522

    bld522

    Feb 3, 2004
    My thinking exactly. If high-end production manufacturers continue to maintain the velocity with which they've increased their prices and companies like CRK hold the line, it's only a matter of time before the argument in favor of buying high-end production pieces falls apart. Or to put it another way, no . . . I would not buy a $300 ZT in favor of a $400 Sebenza. The Sebenza would win that argument every single time.
     
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  6. bdmicarta

    bdmicarta Gold Member Gold Member

    Feb 16, 2012
    I have been collecting knives for a long time, but I don't have good records to allow for an in-depth analysis.

    These observations are very unscientific: I have noticed however that in some types of knives, prices have not gone up that much, while others have. I bought a lot of custom knives 10-15 years ago, and some factory knives. I would say that generally custom knife prices have gone up 50%-100% in that time frame, while some production knives have barely gone up at all. I bought a Benchmade folder to carry, never carried it, and tried to sell it 10 years later. I couldn't even break even on it. I have a Blackjack fixed blade that I've thought about taking out and using, a new one today is barely more than what I paid 10+ years ago.
     
  7. bld522

    bld522

    Feb 3, 2004
    Hmmm. If you still had your Benchmade, I wonder if you'd be able to sell it today for a profit now that MAP/UPP/OMG pricing is in effect. :confused: As the saying goes, timing is everything. ;)
     
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014

Share This Page