Knife recomendation

I've been looking on here for years but rarely post if ever i am more of a lurker. My lifestyle has changed in a way that my Vic Huntsman is not a suitable knife for use anymore and looking for some recommendations.

my requirements are to meet as many as possible-

Easy and smooth to open one handed
Blade 3-4 inches in size.
Easy to sharpen and keeps sharp for more than a days use
can take hard work with ease if needs be (although not often as id use more appropriate tools)
Can be taken apart for cleaning and maintenance
handle that isn't plastic feeling
a deep pocket clip
budget of around £120 or less

The knife will be used for work around the farm cutting things open and also in the workshop cutting abrasive paper and similar. scraping stuff. if need be some light prying but i usually more appropriate tools but would be nice if up to the task on a rare occasion.

Also more mundane tasks like opening packages and breaking boxes down.

Also need to find a good online shop that is either in the uk or ships to the uk. no idea on the latter if it affects customs.

Regards
Milk

Leatherman or SAK plus a small fixed blade like Izula, Mini Pendleton in 3V or Boker GoBag in D2. Those steels will keep the edge for days of use.

Cheers for the recommendations. i tend to always have a variation of a couple of SAKs on me anyway and if working i carry a small fixed blade knife a friend made for me which is D2 steel i think.

Never got on with leathermans and have tried a few variations but i use a vic swisstool if needed.

Reason for a folder is i forget what i need if i have been back at the house and left something or had to nip into a shop or town ect so something up to the task that can live in my pocket permanently.

Since you're in Europe (I assume this because you wanted pricing in Euros), I would look into something from lionsteel, viper, or maserin. The viper fortis is one I liked the looks of a lot but it has more of a hunting knife belly so for EDC I didn't like it so much, where I generally prefer something with little belly or even straight like a wharncliffe or sheepsfoot.

But, lionsteel has a lot of offerings that I think fit your criteria and people seem to like them. I haven't used their modern folders yet but I have been impressed with their slipjoints and fixed blades. Maserin seems to be the budget-friendly brand of the 3 while still making a fine product. Their MKM partnership brand is pretty sweet as well; they're all 3 based in Italy.

The lionsteel big opera is what I was going to recommend but I'm not sure if you consider D2 as an easy to sharpen steel. For traditional stones it can take a little work but if you have diamond sharpening equipment it's easy. The opera is kind of just a medium-sized, simple folder that looks like an all-around worker. Nothing too fancy but it still uses good materials and I'm sure it's made well coming from lionsteel.

Cold Steel Recon 1 (G-10 scales, thicker than Code 4) spear point or Code 4 (thinner, aluminum scales) spear point. Simply excellent hard use knives that won't let you down and adhere to your criteria.
There are vendors in the UK, one in Barry, who can get it to you next day.

I've been looking on here for years but rarely post if ever i am more of a lurker. My lifestyle has changed in a way that my Vic Huntsman is not a suitable knife for use anymore and looking for some recommendations.

my requirements are to meet as many as possible-

Easy and smooth to open one handed
Blade 3-4 inches in size.
Easy to sharpen and keeps sharp for more than a days use
can take hard work with ease if needs be (although not often as id use more appropriate tools)
Can be taken apart for cleaning and maintenance
handle that isn't plastic feeling
a deep pocket clip
budget of around £120 or less

The knife will be used for work around the farm cutting things open and also in the workshop cutting abrasive paper and similar. scraping stuff. if need be some light prying but i usually more appropriate tools but would be nice if up to the task on a rare occasion.

Also more mundane tasks like opening packages and breaking boxes down.

Also need to find a good online shop that is either in the uk or ships to the uk. no idea on the latter if it affects customs.

Regards
Milk

Based on the provided parameters I'd suggest a pm2. They do good work and have larger, comfortable handles, with a good traction plan. Look around the exchange to find one in your price range. Cheers!

Cold steel (lot of Options) and Spyderco para 3 Would be the first I would consider

Brisa Enzo Birk 75--it has S30V with true scandi grind, really strong tip(3mm stock almost all the way up the tip), and flips like a dream

SteelWill Cutjack M390--probably one of the cheapest M390 at this price range, flips quite well as well.

Spyderco Para 3 S110V--right at the upper limit of the budge, compression lock, spydie hole and just a great EDC knife.

I find this guy really entertaining.

The video reminds me getting something that works with gloves is probably not a bad idea for a farmer either. I liked the cold steel goldeneye's thumb ramp dealy the most for winter with the spyderco millie being a very close 2nd, maybe even tied for 1st I'm just more afraid of losing that one as I no longer use a clip on my millie and have a bail and fob instead.

Many options so far. some stuff i would not have even though about and also some stuff which ive not even heard of the brand.

My only reason for a nice smooth opening is i fidget often haha.

Wearing gloves isnt something i do often and i really should do more.
I find picking a knife such a stressful thing to do as its something i use daily and its personal what knives people like and finding the best for the budget. much like buying a car or motorcycle

doesn't the UK prohibit any locking knives?? or is that just a London thing?

anyway, if so, this is a great little spydy - the urban lightweight
eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL3NweWRlcmNvLWtuaXZlcy9pbWFnZXMvU1BDMTI3UEJLXzEuanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOiB7InJlc2l6ZSI6IHsid2lkdGgiOiA1NDUsImhlaWdodCI6IDQxNSwiZml0IjogImNvbnRhaW4iLCJiYWNrZ3JvdW5kIjogeyJyIjogMjU1LCJnIjogMjU1LCJiIjogMjU1LCJhbHBoYSI6IDF9fX19

but since you don't like plastic handles, how about this cold steel slipjoint with carbon fibre - and excellent s35vn steel - 'lucky one' only $50 US on sale right now in the states

eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL2NvbGRzdGVlbC9pbWFnZXMvQ1M1NFZQTV8xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjogeyJyZXNpemUiOiB7IndpZHRoIjogNTQ1LCJoZWlnaHQiOiA0MTUsImZpdCI6ICJjb250YWluIiwiYmFja2dyb3VuZCI6IHsiciI6IDI1NSwiZyI6IDI1NSwiYiI6IDI1NSwiYWxwaGEiOiAxfX19fQ==

Last edited:
Cold Steel Recon 1 (G-10 scales, thicker than Code 4) spear point or Code 4 (thinner, aluminum scales) spear point. Simply excellent hard use knives that won't let you down and adhere to your criteria.
There are vendors in the UK, one in Barry, who can get it to you next day.

Both of these are good.
Also look at the Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter. Amazing work knife.

There is an online retailer that is either based in the UK, or makes special effort to accomodate UK laws, because they have a "UK friendly" search filter on their site.

They are not a paying member here, though, so I'm going to have to make you do a little searching.

The first name of the site is similar to an American slang word for the sitting down part of your body, and the second name is the same as that outfit that may still publish manuals on how to put your car together.

Or, you could search by "UK friendly knife retailers", and probably get there.

Edit to add: I recommend the TOPS Tac Raze. Apparently, blade size isn't an issue, if it's a friction folder....

If you would rather stay at the low end, MAM, Opinel, Svord. I don't know if the ring on an Opinel counts as a lock, so double-check on that.

Further edit to add: try looking for "electrician's knife". The ones from Klein or Ideal, with the all-purpose secondary folding.... thing. Very reasonable prices, meet all you length and lock requirements (though the secondary tool locks open on most and that could be interpreted badly by law enforcement), and plenty sturdy for what they are.

Last edited:
Lots of good recommendations already. I throw out the Spyderco Manix gets lots of props for a hard worker. Also the Native 5. Both come in Lightweight FRN or G10 versions. Also, keep an eye out on the Exchange for some deals. Might be able to find some on your side of the pond.

doesn't the UK prohibit any locking knives?? or is that just a London thing?
Locking knives are ok, but you can be in trouble if you have them in public without demonstrating 'good reason' for having it on you ('self defence' is NOT classed as good reason and should never be mentioned as any reason for having a knife in the UK). In London it's probably best not to even bother with a lock knife as they are really strict.

The PM3 is a great one.

There's a bunch of European sites, but none of them are paying members, so can't really mention any.

But there's a big one based out of the Netherlands, and a great one over in Finland.

Back