Knife Review Suggestions

On leather and leather with carbon steel - would 'oiling' the sheath with Break-Free help to cut down on corrosion on carbon steel blades ? Also, I've noticed that galvanized roof vents on old, mossy roofs don't have anything growing below them. Would zinc, maybe in the form of some moss killer products, help to preserve leather in a humid environment ? Any other ideas on keeping leather from rotting and/or corroding a non-stainless blade ?

The only concern with the 5 inch Falkniven (?) knife that I see would be with the thickness of the blade, as it's something like 5mm or so (about 0.20 inch). It's a bit thick for the length but it wouldn't deter me from trying it out, as it's one of the knives that I'll probably put on my birthday - Christmas - Father's day list.

There are some great suggestions here but I`m gonna agree with Kestrel and suggest an EDMF Smatchet or Trench Bowie. They`re inexpensive customs (<$100) with big blued 3/16" stock carbon steel blades and para cord wrapped hand cast alloy D-grips that should compare favorably performance wise with the RTAK. I`m sure Dale at EDMF would be get a real kick out of having one jungle tested. Marcus

[This message has been edited by Marcus (edited 17 August 1999).]

Jeff,

I am interested in knowing how the Sirupati performs in the jungle environment. The idea of leaving it with the natives and seeing their reactions to it is intriguing. I am familiar with the blade style, but can't guess how the results would turn out. It may be to heavy for comfortable use by those familiar with machetes, or it may be the most wonderful blade they've seen. I don't think rust will be a problem. It will rust, but so what. The sheath may fall apart, but I suspect the knives of that size are often carried without sheaths. It should sharpen on sandstone more easily than many of the super-hard modern knives.

Howard,

Sounds like you have spent some time in the jungle. Although we usually like good sheaths for the small fixed blades hanging on our side, the larger pieces never see a sheath and are usually thrown in the bottom of the boat or dugout canoe so they can be grabbed quickly for head-bangers and vines. A 'sheath' in the jungle is stuck up in the ground or laying in the bottom of a canoe.

As for the rust, correct again. Who cares if a blade rusts down there as long as it works. Everything down there gets infested with dirt, grime and moisture, thus the reason 'tactical folders' don't fare too well.

Ditto on the sharpening also. The Indians usually sharpen up their machetes only before dressing out an animal, otherwise they're dull as hell due to using the 'earth sheaths' and being trampled on in the bottom of boats and canoes. They sort of enjoy us coming down with the latest sharp high-tech blade cause they don't have to sharpen their stuff to make dinner.

Once they realize you have a keen edged piece, they're constantly coming up to you holding their hand out saying 'cuchillo' - Spanish for 'knife.' Makes it Hell trying to keep up with pieces because they will end up stuck in the ground or passed around to the next guy needing a blade.

On a previous trip I took a small Junglee down that was sharp as a razor...well Belen, our camp cook for the night, decided to borrow it to cut up a paca for dinner. She ended up nearly amputating her index finger because she wasn't accustomed to such sharp pieces. Ahhh...but it give the Gringo 'warriors' and excellent opportunity to practice emergency medicine without a clue. I think these folks get a bigger hoot out of us than we do out of them. - Jeff

------------------
Randall's Adventure & Training
jeff@jungletraining.com

I'll make some suggestions possibly for any future expeditions you may go on...looks like everyone else got the best ones in!

I'd like to see you test (if you haven't already) one of the Busse Basics (any one of them).

Or a Cold Steel Bush Ranger.

Also, for a future folder (after you've tested the Military), I'd like to see how a Benchmade Axis Lock, a REKAT Carnivour, or an Emerson Commander fares.

BTW, keep up the good reviews in TK!
Jim

jeff-
I talked to you a few weeks ago about loaning you my basic 9(when i get it) for you to test.....sorry i don't want to sound like a chicken...but i am having second thoughts about it. I know it would be abused hard and i just don't know if i should do it. Granted, I know it would shed some light on the subject of how busses knives perform under those conditions and it would be very cool to have a knife that went to the jungle(and hopefully back
smile.gif

I think about it somemore and get back to you

Luke

Lukers,

No problem on the Basic 9...if I spent a wad of cash on a blade, damned if I would want anyone but me screwing it up. When you get it, let all of us know your impressions and what you think about the piece.

James,

I definitely want to take a Basic 9 and willing to pay premium but I can't bank on one being available for the October Expedition. - Maybe next time. The Bush Ranger would be another on the top of my list and will get a trip down soon.

As far as folders, we are always willing to try new stuff under these conditions. From what I've read, I think the Military will do well. My Benchmade mini-AFCK does real good except for light rust forming on the ATS-34 (which is not a big deal and easily buffed out with a pinch of mud) and the action tightens up some due to grime.- Jeff

------------------
jeff@jungletraining.com

Cold Steel Bushman
Cold Steel Shovel
Mad Dog ATAK
Any of Chris Reeve's One-Piece knives

The Buck Intrepid and Nighthawk. Buck isn't normally thought to be a "tactical" style company, but I think these two blades would do a great job, and come out shining. And if I'm not mistaken (I may be), the steel they use (420HC) is more 'corrosion-resistant' than the 'nicer' stainless varieties. I live in the tropics and am in jungles on occasion, and that fact is comforting. Although rust doesn't really hurt a knife, if I had the choice, ...
smile.gif

What do you think, Jeff? Maybe on a future trip?

------------------
Cutting through all the muck,
we get to what's really important.

John 3:3-7

God Bless You!

[This message has been edited by RJ Talas (edited 18 August 1999).]

Jeff, the Military should be a good workhorse of a folder provided the lock is stable under pressure in your hand. The Fällkniven A1 is a very well made knife and I would assume the smaller ones are of similar quality. A Sirupati would be a very interesting choice as a field blade as well. More chopping power than a machete and much more strength with a higher fatigue rate.

As with Joe I have a couple of blades that I might be able to loan to you including a MPF-Ti, a Busse BM and/or Basic #9 and others. I am still waiting on these but may have them before you ship. I'll keep you in mind and drop you and email if they get here.

As for using them I am not concerned about wear or even breakage. If it happends I would be just interested to know exactly how it happened and a decent estimate of the relative strain it took.

-Cliff

We're definitley taking the Military down in October.

Also Will Fennell just called me. He is now with Camillus Knife Co. and is sending down some blades and Kydex for us to try out in October, so we're pretty much 'knifed-up'for this trip and will try other models on the next expedition early 2000.

I don't want to carry more than we could actually use and give experienced reviews on.

We will get reviews up on Bladeforums and our site of every piece after we return.

Will and I spent about half an hour discussing some new products and designs they are working on. Sounds like they have some interesting things lined up. - Jeff

------------------
jeff@jungletraining.com

Back