KNIFE Sharpening For Dummies

For the vast majority of persons who carry and use nicer pocket or kitchen knives, the carbide pull-throughs (which cut the blade, not abrade it) are not something we would ever use. For the vast majority of sheeple consumers they are probably thought of as heaven-sent. Even a carbide pull-through sharpened edge beats a completely flattened edge (I.E. due to glass cutting board or ceramic plate usage). Most of these sheeple people don't know how to sharpen a knife, nor have they ever experienced a really sharp edge. The ERU is an unknown quantity as of yet. I do like the adjustable angle, and the maker states that it doesn't cut, only abrades, so it's using a different mechanism to accomplish it's sharpening than most pull-throughs.

If you look at the photo in the original post then you will clearly see there are carbide scrappers on the right side.

I went to the website for the sharpener, and blew up the image to full-screen size. While it is possible that those are carbide scrappers, it is just as possible that they are ceramic. In fact, Wusthof makes, and has marketed, several different pull-through sharpeners in its time. They have one that they state is carbide. They have another that they state is ceramic.

Several of the better knife companies make pull-throughs that use ONLY ceramics, some make them with both ceramic and carbide, and some of course with only carbide. We know that non-adjustable carbide scrappers will chew up a blade, but as been said before, the typical housewife will only see that her knives are cutting better after using them. She'll use the sharpener once a month and never notice the damage, nor will she give a damn. She's only concerned with getting dinner on the table, and will be happy as a clam in her ignorance. Her knives will wear away after 5-10 years and she'll spend another $20 for a new one. Ignorance is bliss, and often economical.

WE, on the other hand, pay closer attention to what is going on at the blade level and know that carbide pull-throughs will make the blade will disappear quickly ... But....
....Take the case of John Q. KnifeCrazy... He puts his knives on a stone 2-3 times a week maintaining 'that perfect edge.' Sometimes even more often. At the end of 5-10 years, instead of a drop-point skinner, he has a nicely tapered, very sharp awl, and only notices the change if he happens to compare his blade with a new one. His knives will wear away after 5-10 years and he'll spend another $250 for a new one.

Sometimes pull-throughs are a good thing. Sometimes they are not. We can't make blanket statements about them and be correct.

Stitchawl

We can make the blanket statement that known sharpeners will produce more uniform edges and that if a person wants a refined edge, pull through sharpeners will not do.

I straight edge shave, I cook, pull through sharpener can make a somewhat useable edge for cooking, never for shaving.

So there's a balance, I can get a vegetable cutting edge in seconds and a face shredding edge in seconds as well with pull through. :) :p

Better, I'll call a sharpening system. (Yoda)

Back