1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Knife testing vids: yea or nay?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by WillB, Oct 14, 2018.

1. JBoone

JBoone

Dec 30, 2012
    The older torture test stuff bothered me.

I know a knife is an inatimate object in theory but it still seemed very wrong :D

2. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    How’d I miss this thread?!?

For testing, I like Cedric. While not perfect, at least he tries to provide some form of metric between knives.

I used to binge DBK, but their shtick got a little old for me and I’m not big into fixed blades—maybe I should give ‘em another look.

I like the following for information, but they’re kinda table-topish:
    Nick
    DrFrunkey
    EpicSnuggleBunny
    EverydayCommentary

They do a good job of pros/cons and, more importantly, why they come to conclusions. The why is vastly more important to me. I often disagree with them, but they have helped push me in or out of a purchase on a few occasions, mostly by analysis rather than opinion.

I watch Birdshot and Knifebro, largely for entertainment value. Never miss an episode.
    I watch Nutin when I want background noise while sharpening or gunsmithing.

Others peaked my interest initially, but now I rarely look at them. There’s several that I avoid at all costs.

WillB likes this.
  3. WillB

WillB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2007
    This vid caused various claims of this Project 1 being a poor choice for a survival type knife. This is in a series of vids of "hard use" tests for the knife, and the blade snaps off. Now, with the obvious comments of abuse and so forth, I'm still tad surprised it snapped. While wacking a knife with a sledge is not a great idea, I do believe most knives of decent quality and similar size and design would survive that. I have one of those knives, so obviously such a test would not prevent me from owning it.

What would the obvious explanations Be?

Limitation of the one piece design?
    Simply a one of fault in the steel?
    Type of steel used?
    Faulty HT?
    Other?

But then again, the Pacific didn't seem to hold up all that well either...

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/chris-reeve-green-beret-video-desrtuction-test-completed.543407/

4. falar

falar Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2012
    That guy that cuts all the rope is one of the few with any value.

Nick's disassembly vids are good if you want to see a preview before you jump into a teardown but his "reviews" are nothing more than one guy's personal opinion on pocket jewelry who has a bias against more utilitarian or defense-oriented blades.

Like most "youtube reviews" on any product (I'm mostly interested in guns, knives, scopes, etc) I can watch them muted as I'm just trying to get a better look at something before I buy it online. A lot of youtube reviewers are no different than magazine reviews as well where they never meet something they don't like. Establish your own opinions but use them perhaps to get a better look at something.

Years ago there was a dude that tested everything until it broke, getting straight STUPID with it. I remember he broke an FFBM and I think Jerry even replaced it.

A lot of people saw that as "OMG it failed" but when you look at what he did to that poor knife......I was confident I could never, ever break one.

5. Banter 247

Banter 247

Feb 22, 2019
    Feels like a lifetime has passed since this thread was started. Between October and now, testing channels have stepped it up considerably. Predictable and repeatable result ranges for edge retention vs cardboard, hrc testing, demonstrations of differences in steel quality between factory and sharpened edges, etc. Supersteel Steve and Outpost76 have been on a tear.

Night Rider likes this.
  6. Night Rider

Night Rider Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Banter I have to say that your Banter 247 reviews on Youtube have increased in quality as well brother and I appreciate the work you have been putting in to make them. They are packed Full of great information and loaded with facts and I especially like the way way you go into detail over blade steels and their advantages. Keep up the good work and have some fun with it all.

WillB and Banter 247 like this.
  7. Banter 247

Banter 247

Feb 22, 2019
    Thank you. It means a lot to me. I try to make sure that I’m offering value in every video, and I’m trying to shift the language used in reviews to provide clarity around fit, finish, etc.

WillB and Night Rider like this.