Knifemakers Guild App Accepted

Just to be clear, I'm not a member, or a probationary member yet at all. They've simply accepted my application. Let me tell you all that the room full of craftsmanship at the Knifemakers Guild show is very intimidating to me. I know my work, and I can tell you that half the room is 20 years ahead of me if I work as hard as I can at it for 20 years. I saw a collaboration knife by Steve Johnson (flawless knives, worked with Bob Loveless) and Edmund Davidson (again, no detectable flaws on the whole table) sell for $20,500.00. I'm excited to apply to a group that includes that kind of talent, and I don't go at it thinking of the challenge as small or easy. I want to show them my best work, the best work I can do a year from now. I have 800 or so knives to get this stuff right. (They''re going to want to see a lot of tapered tangs too, so be ready for a lot more of that.)

Edmund Davidson gave Dylan and I some advice at the show that I treasure. It was my plan anyway, but to have such a master confirm for me that I was on the right track was stunning. He said our knives were nice, then he said he remembered when his knives were like ours and asked if we knew what he did to improve. "I didn't quit," he said. "Just keep at it." I was stunned just to get to meet him. I was too timid to hand my knife to Steve Johnson, but I did shake his hand. These men make masterpieces. I once got a piece of advice from mastersmith J. Neilson. I was just done making my 6th knife (2000 knives ago) , and handed it over to him at Blade Show for criticism and guidance. He said my grinds were "impatient" and I needed a lot of practice at that. He also told me to focus on my handle shapes, and refine them. I focused on that for a long time until I got grinds I thought were correct and handles that were pleasing. I think advice from a craftsman of this caliber is priceless. And I was very happy and very gracious to have spoken with Edmund.

So I'll be handing these kind of men my work next year, and I don't go at the task like its a sure thing. I want to hand over very good knives.

Andy, that last post shows that not only do you have the skills to one day be counted among those who make masterpieces, in my approximation at least, you also have the right attitude to get yourself there.

No task in life is a sure thing IMO. Your attitude of hard work and dedication coupled with generous respect and deference to those who came before you is admirable. Knowing that this is the approach you take towards your work leads me to believe that it's more than likely the way you approach your life as well, and that just makes me want to see you succeed even more. Hard work and honest perseverance deserves recognition...unfortunately, the type of work ethic that was taken for granted in our Grandparent's generation has seemingly all but disappeared from most people these days. At least, that's the way it seems in my experience. Kudos to you for planning to be "in it for the long haul" with the aim of being the best you can be. We should all be so brave.

This is exciting for anyone who admires the work Fiddleback is producing. We certainly all stand to benefit from Andy's desire to continue to work hard and keep an open mind! Best of luck to Fiddleback Forge in the months and years to come!!!

Andy, that last post shows that not only do you have the skills to one day be counted among those who make masterpieces, in my approximation at least, you also have the right attitude to get yourself there.

No task in life is a sure thing IMO. Your attitude of hard work and dedication coupled with generous respect and deference to those who came before you is admirable. Knowing that this is the approach you take towards your work leads me to believe that it's more than likely the way you approach your life as well, and that just makes me want to see you succeed even more. Hard work and honest perseverance deserves recognition...unfortunately, the type of work ethic that was taken for granted in our Grandparent's generation has seemingly all but disappeared from most people these days. At least, that's the way it seems in my experience. Kudos to you for planning to be "in it for the long haul" with the aim of being the best you can be. We should all be so brave.

This is exciting for anyone who admires the work Fiddleback is producing. We certainly all stand to benefit from Andy's desire to continue to work hard and keep an open mind! Best of luck to Fiddleback Forge in the months and years to come!!!

Well said Sean!

Mark

First step gets the ball rolling. I have no doubt you will be accepted and pass your probationary year with no problems. Keep putting the love in!

CONGRATS for making the first step!

Congratulations Andy,

I just became a Probationary member this year.You will be a great plus to the Knifemakers Guild.I look forward to seeing you and your fantastic work at next years show.

Welcome to the Guild.
Rick Clow

Exciting times!!! I'm glad I learned of Fiddleback Forge; I look forward to seeing your work as it progresses through the years Andy!

CONGRATULATIONS Andy!!! What a well-deserved honor for such a gifted craftsman!! You have my full support!

Congrats Andy! I'm sure you'll do fine. You have skill and you have drive, that's two of the big things right there. Cool, maybe you'll do enough tapered tangs I can manage one :)

Thought this deserved a bump to show the level of effort and achievement! Great Job!

Back