knifetests.com - destruction test of a HI khuk....

new

who would be interested in a destruction test of an HI khuk???

so far, the two toughest blades to date have been a busse battle mistress and a scrapyard scrapper.....i have a feeling that an HI khukuri will ascend to a whole 'nuther realm of toughness......there are 3 important factors that make an HI khuk indestructable....

1. incredibly tough 5160 carbon steel.....

2. very primitive, but extremely effective differential hardening

3. blades are thicker than a college textbook.....:D

combine these 3 important factors, and i think you might have the toughest knife in the world.....

does anyone have a chiruwa styled khukuri they would be willing to donate???

it has to be chiruwa because noss does handle impact test and i don't think a rat tail will make it.....

i know that i just got the chiruwa BAS, but that one is off limits....

and if no one has a khukuri to donate, perhaps we can all chip in to buy a chiruwa from HI and then send it to Noss to test....

you can donate how much you want in this thread and we will all send the moeny to yangdu.....then i will make arrangements with noss so that he receives the blade directly from yangdu....

we will probably only need about $80-$100 for a decent chiruwa blade.....a chiruwa ang khola would be preferable for the destruction test....

if 10 people donated $10 each, we could get this done!!!!....

i will start off and i will donate $10 right here.....

any other takers????

I don't know about that.

Noss' tests only bring controversy. You should see the flames it brought on the Ranger forums. Some will agree, some will disagree.

If he wants to test one, he just have to buy one :D

I don't know about that.

Noss' tests only bring controversy. You should see the flames it brought on the Ranger forums. Some will agree, some will disagree.

If he wants to test one, he just have to buy one :D

i saw the thread in the ranger forum....i thought that many of the ranger folks were immature in what they posted.....

i think HI folks would not resort to name calling and personal attacks regardless of the results......

i saw the thread in the ranger forum....i thought that many of the ranger folks were immature in what they posted.....

I have to admit I stopped reading when Noss came. I knew it wouldn't bring me any useful information :foot: (I felt nothing good would come from a confrontation)

Yes people here are more... zen if I might say.

I think we don't need any proof of the quality of HI products.

The fact that his tests are not based on any real use makes them useless in my eyes. If after performing the recommended HI tests he then used the khuk until it broke I'd be impressed. But putting a knife in a vise and hitting it with a hammer isn't using a knife. Nor is chopping iron bars or cement blocks.

it's obvious some of you don't care for destruction testing, and i respect that.....however, i would be very interested in knowing what kind of abuse an HI blade could take.....i'm sure there are others who would also like to know.....

of course chopping cement blocks and shearing through metal tubes and bars falls outside the realm of normal use.....but, i for one, would like to know if the HI khuk can do it.....

if no one else is willing to donate $5 - $10 to get this done, then maybe i will just send my personal tin chirra that i just ordered......

a lot of people recommend HI's to others due to their inherent toughness....i will put my money where my mouth is, and send in my personal blade for testing to prove just how tough they are.....well, that's if no one else donates......

right now as it stands, i have donated $10....waiting for more people......

Last edited:
I brought this up several months back and contacted Knife teses and they said they wouldlove to test and HI khukuri. Not many here were intrested.....I sure am though! I'd go in on paying for a CAK to send to knife tests.

Why would we do that??

i think HI folks would not resort to name calling and personal attacks regardless of the results......

Dont be silly bro...Of course I will resort to name calling...Err is it really name calling if we call a dog a dog??

or a cat a cat??

or maybe a clown a clown?

Dont be silly bro...Of course I will resort to name calling...Err is it really name calling if we call a dog a dog??

or a cat a cat??

or maybe a clown a clown?

could you clarify the point you are trying to make???

i hve no idea what you are trying to say......

It's going to happen. I have a Ang Khola coming in. The 12 inch model.

nice.....:thumbup:

by the way, is it a chiruwa handle, or standard???

i only ask, because a standard handle ang khola will have a hard time passing the handle impact test.....it is a rat tail tang that is enclosed fully by either a horn or wood handle.....a few wacks with the 3lbs sledge will probably destroy it.....if you do proceed with the handle impact test, i recommend saving that test for last.....

an ang khola blade is enormously tough, it's just that the natural handle material was not made for that kind of impact.....

when do you think you will complete the test???

thanks....

I can tell you right now the kangaroo tail will bend when it's hit with something. I'm in the process of rehandling a BGRS. I wanted some curve in the handle so I put it in the vice and bent it down by hand.

But if you put the blade in a vise and try to bend it you'll find it makes a great diving board.

It's going to happen. I have a Ang Khola coming in. The 12 inch model.

I know that your tests are not 'real world', but I love watching them. It's even more fun to see folks cry and moan about how well or not well their favorite knife did.

Keep it up!

Brett

The one I was offered has a buffalo horn handle. I will consider this during the test. I'll make a few changes to the line up if necessary. I should have it later this week. I am back logged with many knives others have sent me so I will get to it ASAP.

nice.....:thumbup:

by the way, is it a chiruwa handle, or standard???

i only ask, because a standard handle ang khola will have a hard time passing the handle impact test.....it is a rat tail tang that is enclosed fully by either a horn or wood handle.....a few wacks with the 3lbs sledge will probably destroy it.....if you do proceed with the handle impact test, i recommend saving that test for last.....

an ang khola blade is enormously tough, it's just that the natural handle material was not made for that kind of impact.....

when do you think you will complete the test???

thanks....

this was my doing, i'm sending him my mini AK. noss agreed to help me out, so i'm sending him the knife in return.

i'm really hoping it puts many more expensive knives to shame.

Noss, the whole knife is scaled down, not just the blade. a couple shots you can use for comparison. the larger model (ganga ram) is very comfortable in hand.

Also, this is by one of the newer kamis, and they all make knives differently.

IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

by the way, we collected over $7k for the new church that day. thanks again.

Last edited:
this was my doing, i'm sending him my mini AK. noss agreed to help me out, so i'm sending him the knife in return.

i'm really hoping it puts many more expensive knives to shame.

Noss, the whole knife is scaled down, not just the blade. a couple shots you can use for comparison. the larger model (ganga ram) is very comfortable in hand.

Also, this is by one of the newer kamis, and they all make knives differently.

IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

by the way, we collected over $7k for the new church that day. thanks again.

hey magnum, thank you for donating your personal HI AK for destruction testing.....

i enjoy watching these tests, and i feel they are very informative....they also accurately outline the limits of toughness for a specific blade.....

you, along with noss, are doing the whole blade community a great service in contributing to the completion of another destruction test....

although, for some reason, i have my doubts on noss being able to totally destroy an HI AK.....:D

like i said before, i have serious doubts on a standard handle surviving the impact test....therefore, i think to get a true gauge of an HI blade's toughness, noss should be provided with a chiruwa handled blade....

if no more donations are made, i might seriously consider sending my personal tin chirra for testing.....too bad, as the tin chirra is brand new...as a matter of fact, i have not even received it from yangdu yet.....i just ordered it on 6/13/08 dotd....

well, i will donate it for the sake of HI....after it is found that even noss was unable to destroy a chiruwa handled HI blade, there will be legions of new sharks buying up HI blades.....:)

Last edited:
To abuse and purposely destroy a perfectly fine and well crafted knife is the ultimate form of disrespect,to me, it is senseless, wasteful and will prove nothing more than that you can break a knife with a hammer, or chop things you normally would avoid hitting. I myself would sooner donate funds to the owner NOT to send this khuk to it's inevitable death.

I have confidence that these BATTLE TESTED, tried and true for centuries khukuri, will stand up to any normal use /abuse, so much so,that i'd stake my life on it.

Back