Knives carried by people you know

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Kaizen1, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Kaizen1

Kaizen1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Curious about family, friends and acquaintance carries - people who have and carry knives, even though they'd never find their way to the online EDC / knife community. We're assuming that if you post any images of people you know and you show their faces or other potentially identifying features that you have their express permission to do so.

My girlfriend's EDC - I picked out and bought this for her. She uses is regularly for light cutting tasks and says she really likes that she has a knife to call her own.

[​IMG]

When people started sheltering in place, my friend moved to her vacation home much further away from people and city life. After encountering some bears, she started taking additional precautions around her new home, including getting a larger knife for literal EDC:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PheonixKingZ, Lee D, A.L. and 11 others like this.
  2. Stairway

Stairway

Apr 16, 2020
    One friend carries a BM 940. Him and that knife are what got me into knives. Other friends carry an assortment of Spydercos and cheap/inexpensive pocketknives from common retail outlets.

Brother carries a Bugout that I gave him. He previously carried cheap Gerbers and the like. The Bugout will probably be the most expensive knife he will ever own. Wife carries a purple Delica while at work, a Mini-Freek while outdoors/camping, and a customized Dress Marauder when she is out and about. Lately, she has been eyeing my Para 3 w/blue twill cf scales. I think she is starting to prefer its locking mechanism over the Delica’s.

3. BP_

BP_ Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2015
    My boss carries either a Kershaw, or a Benchmade. Occasionally he carries one of his Busse knives.

Coworker carries a Spyderco

Another coworker carries a Buck I gifted him

Another coworker carries a Buck he bought from me

These are same department.

In another department I have several coworkers that carry:

Benchmade he bought from me
    Kershaw
    CRKT
    One guy makes his own from blanks he puts handles on. Cool looking but the steel quality seems to be a bit Pakistan-ish.
    A lot of other guys have various cheapies I don’t really keep up with

4. x20

x20 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 1, 2020
    A coworker carries a BM 940 Osborne with green handle. Another carried a black handle, black coated Griptilian serrated drop point that was nicely beaten up, before he switched to a Bugout. I’ve also seen various multi tools pulled from backpacks for brief uses. If others carry a knife/tool, I haven’t seen it or it wasn’t anything I recognized.

My dad carries a Kershaw Leek or Chive, or sometimes a BM 705. My brother now carries the Battlewashed Bugout I gave him for his birthday.

5. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Dad rocks a Spyderco Caly 3.5 and a various assortment of Karambits.

I’ve yet to encounter anyone from my university who EDCs a pocketknife. Ours seems to be a rather rare hobby. Makes me wonder how many young folks are into responsible knife ownership nowadays.

Also, I wouldn’t recommend any sort of cutting instrument as protection against bears. Bear spray or 12 gauge slug is the way to go.

6. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    A friend of mine is the only person I know that carries regularly. He prefers carrying his BM Bugout, but he also has a BM 940, Kizer, Civivi, Boker and a few other knives.

I bought my wife a nice Ti Chaparral. It's used at home, never carried.

7. mjw88

mjw88 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Family and friends carry a victorinox pioneer or similar at best. Usually that i gifted to them or they would carry nothing lol. I work construction and lots of my coworkers carry various spyderco, benchmade, zt, buck and such.

8. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    If any of my friends/acquaintances are carrying anything worth carrying I gave it or recommended it to them.:rolleyes:

Razor, Dcdavis, Quiet and 3 others like this.
  9. Kabancheck

Kabancheck

Aug 11, 2018
    Well, actually not really much in my surrounding. Couple coworkers carry a SAK, my friend carry old half serrated SC Gunsite. My wife is a different story, she carry customised victorinox rambler on keychain and old school Spyderco Kopa. For outdoor she use orange Rat-1 and victorinox Nomad.

Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  10. Norcaldude

Norcaldude Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2014
    I would think some sort of bear spray or noise maker would be a better EDC if you are worried about bears. Knife fights vs bears seems like a bad idea.

11. Tyson A Wright

Tyson A Wright Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2020
    My Dad carries a variety of old slipjoints that he finds in antique stores for cheap. I think everybody else I know that EDC's a knife carries a Mini-Grip. They buy them at the sporting goods store, and the Mini-Grip is reasonably priced, well made, and works great. I have the 20CV/G-10 Mini-Grip, but all the other ones my friends have are 154CM/FRN.

12. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012
    Dad reps a few knives, BM Ambush, Zt Cryo, CRKT Dirk, lionsteel lockback (ram’s horn and damascus)...and he’s not a knife guy. Haha.

Brother reps a Large 21 Sebenza, and a Spyderco manix. Also not a knife guy.

My wife carries a mnandi in her purse, used a BM Sequel at work, prunes with a Byrd fully serrated hawkbill, and bushwhacks with a CPK HDFK with Antique micarta scales. I caught a winner. :D

Best friend reps a Buck Vantage large.

Most of my other friends are on here and own too many knives to list! Haha

Dcdavis and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  13. Kaizen1

Kaizen1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I made sure to word that carefully:
    That implies she did more than get a knife.

14. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    My son carries a mini-Grip and a Bugout. He has lots of other knives, but the Grip rose to the top of his rotation until the Bugout moved it over. A SIL has worked a full-sized Griptilian pretty hard for the past five years.
    One friend of my son carries a Delica, and prefers a Marttiini over a Mora for utility use.
    If any of my colleagues carries a knife, I don’t know about it, because knives are prohibited on a school bus or in the terminal. That said, a former safety coordinator rarely left home without his Opinel.
    A stepson with a heroin problem filched a Benchmade Mini-Barrage and a CRKT M-21-something, and pawned them to buy drugs. He says Pawn America gave him $85 for the Benchmade.

15. vjb.knife

vjb.knife Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2002
    Please try to get some video of when she fights the bear with that SOG knife! It would go viral in a second.

16. el gigantor

el gigantor Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 5, 2015
    My wife's got a Spyderco Dragonfly Hawkbill Salt SE, a Spyderco Spyderhawk SE in H-1 for her work knife, a Victorinox Forester for camping, and a 2016 special edition Victorinox Cadet as general EDC.

17. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    My old man carries a Mercator black cat I gave him, and either an ag Russell one hand knife (also a gift from me) or a crkt minimalist Bowie

My brother carries either an ag Russell Ultimate pen knife I gave him or a normark little Swede

Mom carries a Vic classic that I gave her...

Girlfriend carries a mini grip and a Leatherman sidekick (she picked the griptillian with my help about 12 years ago, and I gave her the sidekick to replace a broken kick that I'd gifted her).

18. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Pff... My dad has some sort of Victorinox at all times.
    A coworker alternates between a Kershaw Nura, a Dragonfly, and a Millitary.
    A buddy usually carries a Brusletto Bamsen when he's out hiking, which has been every day this summer.

Other than that, nothing.
    All my other coworkers just have these Stanley knives, and none of my other buddies are interested in knives.

19. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Me: Spyderco K2
    Wife: Spyderco Dragonfly Tattoo
    Brother/Coworker: Spyderco Tenacious
    Cousin/Coworker: ColdSteel Recon
    Cousin/Coworker: Kershaw Blur
    Cousin: Benchmade Griptilian
    Friend: Benchmade 940 or Spyderco PM2
    Friend: Plain Sebenza

20. BD_01

BD_01 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    My father carries a full size Texas Toothpick, I’m not sure of the manufacturer, but it’s old and carbon steel with a deep dark patina. I gifted him a UKPK when his arthritis started getting bad...I know he’s used it, but I’m not sure if it’s a carry item.

My father-in-law is EDC-ing my old SOG Flash II and putting it to good use.

I have one buddy who carries a ZT 0200 that’s been beat to crap and back. He refuses to ever give it up. I did a spa service on it for him.

I have another buddy who carries a Tenacious that was literally falling apart. I gave that one a spa too, with the help of some replacement screws from Spyderco.

Two buddies carry random Kershaws, I put a mirror edge on one of them. He was so giddy about the edge that he gave me a box of 9mm HST ammo. Win!

One buddy carries a gas station knife. He’s afraid to replace it because it was a gift from his wife.

Lee D, Dcdavis and Sharp & Fiery like this.