1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Knives made from meteorites?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by agoutihead, Feb 22, 2011.

1. agoutihead

agoutihead

May 5, 2007
  2. Tony8179

Tony8179

Feb 20, 2008
    I've heard of meteorite inlays in the handle of a knife, but I've never heard of a blade made from meteorite damascus. Can it be carried and used or is it just to look at? $1825 is a chunk of change, at least to me.

3. Samael

Samael

Sep 30, 2007
    Never heard of the guy. But people have been using meteorites to make kerises for a long, long time, so it's not exactly anything new.

4. sambo.

sambo.

Dec 30, 2009
    for a mere $1,825, i highly, highly doubt they are made from genuine meteorite materials. or if they are, i doubt there's more than a gram or two of meteorite material in the knife.

when 30kg worth of meteorite landed near Winton in 2006 the landowner became a spectacularly wealthy individual (he's also a really nice guy, so please don't hate him for it).

it's possible that it's genuine, but i doubt it for that price and i rekon provenance of the materials would be very hard to prove.

for a solid meteorite iron knife, i'd be expecting a price tag of well over $10k.

5. Vicarious Reality

Vicarious Reality

Apr 9, 2008
    What's the difference in Iron from outer space and iron from the earth?

6. Samael

Samael

Sep 30, 2007
    Meteoric iron usually has a fairly high nickel content. That's about it. It's really not anything special.

7. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    I suppose all iron is technically from outer space, that is where it came from.

8. sambo.

sambo.

Dec 30, 2009
    rareity/snob value.

9. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    Can I get one made from green kryptonite?

10. Confederate

Confederate

Sep 5, 2005
    Yeesh, two knives that are uglier and more expensive than Sebenzas!

All steel, even steel in S&W knives, are from outer space. Even the material in your bodies is from outer space. Yes, even Leonard Nimoy is from outer space. Only the blade material from Buck isn't from outer space. It's from the USA!

These things are all gimmicks. I've seen all five seasons of STARGATE ATLANTIS, and all of the knives used by cultures in the Pegasus Galaxy were made in this galaxy (they had to be...how else did the people all learn English?)

Meteorites are made from iron, and they command big bucks because they've been wandering through space for thousands of years. But who would want a blade made from iron? Meteorites are also expensive for the same reason that the Batmobile is expensive, and Christopher Reeves' Superman suit. Perceived value. When Mount Saint Helens erupted years ago, people sold ash to people all over the world. And in Europe, get this, people pay as much as we do for revolvers and semi-auto pistols for deactivated revolvers and semi-autos. Why? Because they are forbidden by law to own them. So they invite people over for dinner and afterwards, they get them out of their safes and show them to their friends. It's sad. But to them, it's as close to real guns as they can get. They're conversation pieces.

So go figure. If meteorites were common, they wouldn't be worth anything. It's the same thing for religious relics and other things. People buy things because they can get a "show and tell" aspect. Whether it's a whip from the set of Indiana Jones or a Sebenza, it's all between the ears.

To me, I'll stick with Earth products. It's more...logical.

Indeed.

11. oldschool45

oldschool45

Oct 15, 2007
  12. borrowed time

borrowed time

Dec 19, 2006
    Well, i already have a cool meteor knife... heres a write up about it!

Dark Ops Shadow Knife

My Dark Ops Shadow Knife. It's black. I sleep with it, I shave with it, I spear squirrels on the run with it. It's black. It's helped me de-animate hostile threats in the war-torn streets of third-world hell-holes. And it's black. It has more teeth than all my redneck cousins. I can vicariously live the life of an indestructible warrior through it. It's black. It makes me feel better about my pathetic, mediocre life. It's impregnated with Depleted Uranium. It's made of metal from a meteor and was forged in an active volcano by an Icelandic Master Blade Smith. Oh, and it's really cool because it's black.

(i love this classic Dark Ops write up :D )

13. Samael

Samael

Sep 30, 2007
    Fixed that for ya.

14. Confederate

Confederate

Sep 5, 2005
    That Dark Ops Shadow nice sounds cool.

What color is it?

15. M67

M67 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Yup :thumbup:

I've seen a few meteorite knives, I never looked too closely at them because I figure they're just for show, not beating the piss out of.

16. GWashington1732

GWashington1732 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 20, 2009
    The iron from meteorites is how you make adamantium. :p

17. jbombelli

jbombelli

Mar 23, 2008
    Jump on ebay and look up "meteorite" and "campo del cielo" and you will be surprised by the results.

18. Murdamook

Murdamook

Nov 3, 2010
    What do you know. Your favorite knife is probably one formed of geometric shapes that are unfathomable to the human mind, oh and they have a greenish hugh.

19. Samael

Samael

Sep 30, 2007
    I've got a friend named Hugh. Well, OK, not really. But I think you mean "hue."

English. It's tricky stuff. But if you keep working at it, you'll get it eventually.

20. wintersix

wintersix

Dec 5, 2010
    I think making knife's out of meteors is a great idea!

I would like a Rick Hinderer Xm-18 or 24 with a kryptonite blade and maybe black and red scales.