Knives made from meteorites?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by agoutihead, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Toyz

Toyz

Nov 2, 2006
    If memory serves me, there was a recent tv episode of an auction house selling a piece of meteor (picture a giant Hershey Kiss) that was verified to have fallen in then the Soviet Union in the late 1940's - I think it sold for $2000.

2. jimnolimit

jimnolimit

Oct 28, 2009
    ^ +1.

3. goodeyesniper

goodeyesniper

Aug 31, 2009
    Um. I would, and you would, and probably everyone on this forum would.

You do know that steel is mostly iron, right?

4. jimnolimit

jimnolimit

Oct 28, 2009
    the knife will become an under performing piece of art.

5. robbobus

robbobus Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Boker had a damascus bladed knife which contained meteorite a number of years ago, not as stratospherically priced if memory serves.

6. Daniel Dorn

Daniel Dorn Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 1999
    I've had a meteorite-handled knife at the top of my want list for several years. I wouldn't want it in the blade, but it'd be way cool to have bolsters made from the stuff. Practical? Nope. Cool? Definitely!

It's the same idea with Mastadon, or Mammoth ivory. Not really a better quality material, but having a history that's not as mundane as the rest makes it premium.

Bragging rights, show-off-ability, snobbish appeal, it's all the same. But there are those who just like unique stuff for their own enjoyment.

7. Samael

Samael

Sep 30, 2007
    Mmm. I've been wanting something in musk ox for the same reason.:D That stuff's even more expensive than ivory, though.:eek:

8. hardheart

hardheart

Sep 19, 2001
    Ivory, sambar, pattern welded steel, wootz, jewels, there's lots of stuff put in/on knives that doesn't aid performance one bit but adds rarity and aesthetic appeal (to some)

there's no way you could baton through a cinder block with this POS http://www.sanfranciscoknives.com/knives/kingtutpg.html

9. Samael

Samael

Sep 30, 2007
    Yeah, but only a cretin would baton through a cinder block in the first place.

10. hardheart

hardheart

Sep 19, 2001
    how else am I to reach the chewy nougat center?

11. Samael

Samael

Sep 30, 2007
    That's your best post of all the 7,257 of them.:D

12. marcinek

marcinek Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    That's the one that is quenched by thrusting it into the heaving bosom of a maiden fair, if I recall.

borrowed time likes this.
  13. MikeH

MikeH

Oct 18, 2001
    Same as the difference between regular salt and sea salt.

Iron from the earth has just been here longer.

14. HoosierQ

HoosierQ

Feb 9, 2010
    The iron in meteorites has been used to make metal tools for thousands of years. They used to be sought out, as best they could be, as a source of "pre-smelted" iron that could be smithed into useful shapes. I am not sure if they even knew that they were from space...they just knew they had something different on their hands. There is some "native" iron in volcanic regions but everywhere else it is hidden in ores. Even if you knew it was there, which they didn't for a long time, you had to be able to generate a lot of heat to get it out.

Fast forward to a less remote point in time. All across Arctic Canada, the Inuit (Esikimo) people had simple iron tools...always did...way before Columbus. Little points, little awls, tiny little blades, nothing very sophisticated but iron none the less. Nobody anywhere south ever did...until the Europeans brought it. It was a huge puzzle until they found the Cape York Meteorite in Greenland. This thing is huge...like half a million pounds or something crazy like that. Turns out, for thousands of years the Inuit had been bashing little bits off of this thing and cold hammering them into tools...thus their smallness...and trading them all across their trade routes which went around the ice...but not southward.

So meteorites have a long history relevant to knife making.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
    borrowed time likes this.
  15. pvicenzi

pvicenzi

Dec 25, 2008
    If I remember correctly, Bill Moran forged a knife from a chunk of meteor.

16. Dorito Monk

Dorito Monk

Nov 17, 2008
    The Sgian Dubh that fellow makes is absolutely gorgeous. I wouldn't want to use any of those, though.

17. Eaglewood

Eaglewood

Oct 19, 2011
    Making some now out of forged campo damascus and full campo slices.

18. Mivonks

Mivonks

Jul 4, 2011
    Fantasy author Terry Pratchett had a sword made that contained bits of meteorite. His reasoning:

That's as good a reason as any. :)

Also relevent to our interests:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/t...-with-meteorites/story-e6frfro0-1225926584339

19. H2H907

H2H907

Dec 30, 2007
    In ancient times meteorites were desired because it was easier to get iron from them than smelting it from ore. This is why there are legends in many cultures of weapons forged from iron from the heavens.

These days it's immaterial for anything other than the cool factor, which is still a legitimate reason. But most modern steels now far exceed the properties of these legendary weapons.

20. GrizzlyBear

GrizzlyBear

Dec 5, 2009