Knives of the Blade Show - 2009

Joe Mandt is just as purposeful with his traditional clip-point fitted to a military sheath. I'd want this on me when the going gets tough.

Very nice Joe! Are you coming to Gembloux again?

cheers

Erik

All very nice . I handled the Diskan bowie and it is pure class and he is a hell of a guy to boot talk about versatile.

Joe Mandt is just as purposeful with his traditional clip-point fitted to a military sheath. I'd want this on me when the going gets tough.

Very nice Joe! Are you coming to Gembloux again?

cheers

Erik
Probably not until 2010 Erik. Things are tough all over, ya know:( But by then, I will have damascus AND some suitably clunky black shoes:thumbup::D

Beautiful pictures of beautiful knives!! About most of them I can only dream:)

You must have heard me sing the praises of Kevin Casey's work by now. I find his steel particularly well forged, and his folders incredibly precise and simply clean.
orig.jpg

Coop,

You are right about Kevin Casey. I got to meet him at Blade. He's a great guy and makes a very nice knife.

Jim Treacy

I missed Matt Diskin's JS status. Back again with full credit given.

orig.jpg

Shawn McIntyre flew up from Australia to show us once again how well he can build them upside down. :)
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Jeremy Marsh is one of my favorite makers. I said to him when we were choosing this background, that I thought he might like it because I felt he was a little 'left of center'. His response: "Ya THINK??!!"
orig.jpg

Daniel Winkler has shifted some of his focus to providing these hatchets to the highest echelon of the military. They are incredibly well-suited to the tasks. Here's a variation of one we saw last year.
orig.jpg

Joe Olson is a rocker, through and through. He covets his own collection of guitars as we do our collections of knives. Let's hope Steven Tyler ends up with this discreet auto.
orig.jpg

Tom Overeynder is the maker, and C.J. Cai created the King Neptune theme on this aquacious folder.
orig.jpg

I've only a couple left. Almost there!

Coop

Last edited:
jdm61 Yes, Mike, I can occasionally create something other than mountains of dirt and sandpaper scraps on the floor of my shop. You can come buy again if your tetanus shot is up to date...lol.
My shot was updated earlier this year :p I'll call this week so maybe we can get some of your new toys off the floor and on the workbench...wouldn't want them to get tetanus :D

Fantastic thread, Coop!
The Makers work appears to get better every year and so do your amazing images.
Not that there was one thing wrong with them before.
Great Big Thank You ! :thumbup:

Received an email from Daniel yesterday.
He mentioned that the next 2 groups
(about 50 units) of R&D Hawks will be finished next week and when he gets them
he'll do the bevel grinding and finishing then send them for heat treating.
This will take about a week and when he gets them back again he'll be able to do
the handles and be ready to start shipping.
Have a curly maple one coming and I can't wait. :D

Daniel Winkler has shifted some of his focus to providing these hatchets to the highest echelon of the military. They are incredibly well-suited to the tasks. Here's a variation of one we saw last year.
orig.jpg

Doug

I've only a couple left. Almost there!

Coop

Hate to see it end. Sure have enjoyed this thread. Thanks for bringing these all to life for those of us who couldn't attend this year. Look forward to those last few. Appreciate it. :thumbup:

- Joe

Nice to see all the images Coop. Good thing I was not there as the temptations are enormous. Great daggers, bowies and test knives from everyone.

Hi Doc,

Thanks for signing up just to acknowledge. Welcome to Bladeforums!

Yes, busy is an understatement. I have mailed all the makers their prints, and have sent all the photos and info to the magazines. These shows are a monumental project.

Now back to my 'normal' madness in my own studio.... :)

Coop

Great job Coop! It was a pleasure to watch you work and help out where I could.

The knives were all awesome this year and each maker should be quite proud. Kudos to every maker who, despite the recession, stepped up and had a knife (or several) professionally photographed for publication and promotional purposes. Times may be hard but it's definitely NOT the time for makers to retreat and become "penny-wise and pound-foolish." These images are an increasingly important part of the fuel that fires sales and brings in new collectors and enthusiasts.

I'll post some of the portraits I shot in a new thread soon. I had some major fun with folks while they were under the lights and in front of my camera. Thanks for letting me set up with you and for clearing the way with the BLADE Show staff.

Back