1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Knives of The Royal Armouries (Pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    The Royal Armouries in Leeds (www.royalarmouries.org/visit-us/leeds) is a vast museum, with the largest collection of arms and armour in Europe. After my abortive trip there on Saturday to take some pics of bayonets for Vanguard’s son, when I forgot to put the memory card in my camera :)( ), I returned today.

In addition to all the swords, pikes, suits of armour, bayonets, rifles, and just about every weapon imaginable, from all over the world (including the only surviving set of elephant armour), there are a few knives included, which I thought you ladies and gentlemen might like a look at.

Apologies for the poor quality of the photographs (as usual :( ), some galleries are very dark, others less so, there’s a lot of spot-lighting, and of course not only is everything behind glass, but some exhibits are a couple of feet behind it, which makes focussing particularly difficult with an auto-focus camera.

The descriptions beneath the photographs are provided by the museum, and in a few cases are somewhat vague.

[​IMG]

Hunting knife, German, late 18th century.

[​IMG]

Italian, late 18th century.

[​IMG]

Cased combined cutlery set, English, about 1850. A combined knife, fork, spoon and corkscrew, all folding into a horn handle with leather case.

[​IMG]

Italian, late 18th century.

[​IMG]

South American, about 1970. This type of knife was very common among the gauchos of South America. It is still quite common in rural areas.

[​IMG]

Bowie knife, English, Sheffield, about 1858, by Woodhead. The cutlers of Sheffield exported large numbers of knives to America. This good-quality example has an etched blade, and was sold to gold prospectors during the California goldrush.

[​IMG]

Dagger (khanjar), Persian, 19th century. Weapons from the Middle East often have Koranic inscriptions or excerpts from poems. The carved ivory hilt on this khanjar has a Persian verse:
    Shining is the sharp blade,
    It’s name is Yataghan,
    That which splits a thorn,
    Is the amazing khanjar.

[​IMG]

Dagger (khanjar), Persian, 19th century. This blade is of a rare and unusual type. The point is split and formed into five small blades, the centre one swollen into an armour-piercing type.

[​IMG]

Dagger (khanjar), Persian, 19th century.

[​IMG]

Hunting knife and scabbard. English, London, about 1900. Retailed by Simpson. Chequered black composition grips. The brown leather scabbard is marked on the back with the letters HJB.

[​IMG]

Hunting knife, about 1985, The Puma. (Looks like a Puma Automesser to me!)

[​IMG]

Folding skinning knife, London, about 1870. By Wilkinson & Son & Co. The silver mounted hilt bears the maker’s initials and the grips are of mother of pearl. The brown leather scabbard is tooled on the back P KERR SMILEY.

[​IMG]

Hunting knife, American, about 1850. A roughly-made belt knife as used by frontiersmen until the Bowie knife became popular. The hilt is made of deer antler and the blade is stamped ‘English Cliff’.

[​IMG]

Hunting knife and scabbard, German, about 1850. The blade bears the inscription DAS GOTT DIR UND GEBE ALLE GUTTE WEIL JO HO MEIN MEIN LIEBER WEIDMANN MIT WEIDMANSHIEL! The ivory hilt is carved with the figure of a sportsman carrying a gun.

[​IMG]

Folding knife, English, about 1880.

[​IMG]

Hunting knife, German, late 19th century.

[​IMG]

Shakespear knife by Wilkinson, Pall Mall, London, about 1870. Some hunters deliberately chose to tackle dangerous gamewhile armed only with a knife and assisted by trained dogs. Colonel Henry Shakespear designed and recommended this type of knife following his own hunting experiences.

[​IMG]

US V44 Survival Knife, American, about 1944. A combination fighting and survival knife based on a traditional Bowie-style blade. It was issued mainly to troops serving in the Pacific theatre of war.

[​IMG]

Trench dagger, German, around 1915.

[​IMG]

Rock crystal a jewel hilted dagger (khanjar), Indian, Mughal, 17th century.

[​IMG]

Knife (pichangatti), South Indian, 19th century.

[​IMG]

Blade of a knife. North European 5th-9th century. Of a type known as a sax, popular in northern Europe in the early Middle Ages.

[​IMG]

Navaja, Spanish, 20th century.

2. Humppa

Humppa

Jul 25, 2010
    Those pics are great... I need to get there - hopefully this year. Hoping Mrs. Humppa gives her OK for summer vacation in Leeds, UK. I need to get some magazines showing her ;) Cultural holidays are as good as a lazy week on the beach... Maybe - maybe not :p

I NEED to go there...

3. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    I would be in heaven in that museum!!! Thank you very much for your work, Jack!! Much appreciated...wow

4. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    It'll be great Andi. You'll love it on the Costa Del Yorkshire! :D

5. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    It is absolutely enormous, you could spend a day there easily. There is even a tilt yard for jousting! If anyone is interested in anything in particular that they might have there, please feel free to let me know and I'll take you some pics. I just wish I had your photographic skills Gevonovich :)

6. festerfromnzed

festerfromnzed

Aug 18, 2008
    JACK...fantastic pics ..thanks for making the effort.. FES

7. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks FES, you guys are worth it :)

They've got a whole hunting gallery you'd like, mostly guns, but there's some incredible boar spears.

8. scruffuk

scruffuk

Jan 14, 2010
    Nice snaps Jack.

I used to frequent the Armouries regularly. Love it.

Actually, when I was doing my degree I chose the Armouries to do some fire engineering smoke modelling, for the atrium.

Don't you just love the pommel on that pichangatti?! Its outstanding.

There is a particular kris on the mezzanine, iirc above the tea house, that has been etched in arsenic and lemon juice.
    The layers of steel in the blade look incredible.

Are the Gunsmith and Armourers still there?

9. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    I forgot about the kris knives, they're tucked away a bit aren't they, and I didn't have a lot of time, had to fly round a little? I'll have to sort out all the bayonet and trench knife pics for Vanguard's lad!

The Gunsmith and Armourers have been closed a while now I'm afraid, in fact that whole court is closed at the moment, and the tilt yard I think.

10. Vanguard41xx

Vanguard41xx

Dec 29, 2010
    Nice pictures Jack! And thanks for taking the time to go back out there. :D

11. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    No worries mate. I'll e-mail you the bayonet pics tomorrow, I'm exhausted now!

12. AKC

AKC Really? Must I? OK... Platinum Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Thanks! Nice little trip down armory lane....

13. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Thanks again, Jack. I really appreciate the offer to take more pics too. Rest awhile and we will send you back out on another mission. Your too good as it.

14. mike Berkovitch

mike Berkovitch

Nov 15, 2007
    Thanks Jack excellent photos , this is the ultimate play ground. Very interesting and educating.
    Mike

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  15. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks guys :)

16. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Thanks for another great trip, Jack.

17. Crone

Crone

Aug 8, 2012
    I saw the 10th one and immediately though cold steel trailmaster/recon scout.
    Very cool stuff.

18. pertinux

pertinux

Feb 1, 2012
    Oh, I don't know. I was pretty bored. May even have dozed off a time or two.

:p

Thanks, Jack. :thumbup:

~ P.

19. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    Great and very interesting pictorial.
    Thx for taking the time.

20. RobbW

RobbW Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Thanks for the vicarious tour, Jack. Those are some amazing knives and pictures. Makes me want to cross the Atlantic!