Knives of The Royal Armouries (Pic heavy)

Wonderful display of cutlery. I just love that navaja. I don't know why, but he navaja strikes some deep chord in me. Makes me think of a low flickering camp fire, a raven haired maiden, a full wineskin to drink... Okay, I better stop there.

Maybe I was a gypsy in a former life. :confused:

Carl.

Thanks everyone :thumbup:

Wonderful display of cutlery. I just love that navaja. I don't know why, but he navaja strikes some deep chord in me. Makes me think of a low flickering camp fire, a raven haired maiden, a full wineskin to drink... Okay, I better stop there.

Maybe I was a gypsy in a former life. :confused:

Carl.

I know what you mean Carl, it's got some character hasn't it?

I often wish museums would footnote their labels, though.
Does that first German one, with its 8 or 10-inch curved and double-edged blade, really look like it was made for skinning and butchering small game?

Gotta love the Royal Armouries. :) Been there often, living less than 10 miles from it. I think my favourite items in there are the hunting rifles with the mother of pearl inlays.... truly stunning work. Seeing these pics has given me the urge to get back there. Think i will take my 5 yr old son on saturday. :)

So this is where you've been hiding is it mate :)

Nice snaps Jack.

I used to frequent the Armouries regularly. Love it.

Actually, when I was doing my degree I chose the Armouries to do some fire engineering smoke modelling, for the atrium.

Don't you just love the pommel on that pichangatti?! Its outstanding.

There is a particular kris on the mezzanine, iirc above the tea house, that has been etched in arsenic and lemon juice.
The layers of steel in the blade look incredible.

Are the Gunsmith and Armourers still there?

I often wish museums would footnote their labels, though.
Does that first German one, with its 8 or 10-inch curved and double-edged blade, really look like it was made for skinning and butchering small game?

It really doesn't does it? There was a footnote for this knife, but it was so meaningless (and arguably misleading) I didn't bother to include it. It reads: 'Often the traveller had to feed himself by hunting small game. Once killed, the animal had to be skinned and butchered. Hunting knives were therefore an important part of most travellers' equipment.'

Gotta love the Royal Armouries. :) Been there often, living less than 10 miles from it. I think my favourite items in there are the hunting rifles with the mother of pearl inlays.... truly stunning work. Seeing these pics has given me the urge to get back there. Think i will take my 5 yr old son on saturday. :)

Have a great time, some beautiful stuff there, and it's great for kids. Think I saw one of your knives on sale in Dewsbury the other day! :)

Nice snaps Jack.

I used to frequent the Armouries regularly. Love it.

There is a particular kris on the mezzanine, iirc above the tea house, that has been etched in arsenic and lemon juice.

Would you like a slice of lemon in your tea?
No thank you Mrs Borgia....

Would you like a slice of lemon in your tea?
No thank you Mrs Borgia....

LOL! :D Ah, but the tea house Scruff refers to is actually a recreated Japanese te house to accompany the large collection of Japanse arms and armour in the Oriental Gallery. The Italian collection is on the floor below I think! ;)

Have a great time, some beautiful stuff there, and it's great for kids. Think I saw one of your knives on sale in Dewsbury the other day! :)

Yeah, Mark in Main Exchange has bought a couple off me in the past, made them about 18 months ago IIRC :)

Jack, I've been meaning to say thanks for this great thread. I really appreciate the time you take to let us see your part of the world. So much history there, so much to see and learn.

Thank you for the tour Jack, I love looking at these old knives, how ornate they were, and the different styles and cultures they represent. Well done as always!

Yeah, Mark in Main Exchange has bought a couple off me in the past, made them about 18 months ago IIRC :)

I didn't even know that place was there until the other day, was nice to see :thumbup:

Jack, I've been meaning to say thanks for this great thread. I really appreciate the time you take to let us see your part of the world. So much history there, so much to see and learn.

Thank you for the tour Jack, I love looking at these old knives, how ornate they were, and the different styles and cultures they represent. Well done as always!

You're very welcome guys :)

Lovely stuff Jack! Thanks for bringing us a little closer to that history!!

(And thanks for the post cards!!!!;))

Great thread Jack, thank you!

I love museums, I could spend way too much time in them. Unfortunately, Mrs. Z and my boys rarely feel the same :D

Cheers,
Griff

Back