Knives on Pawn Stars to tonight

M.FREEZE

Gold Member
Did anyone see Pawn Stars tonight? A guy brought in several custom knives, the most noticeable being Randall Made (2) and Jimmy Lile knives. He sold a total of four knives. 2 Randalls, a Jimmy Lile Rambo knife and (I believe) a Jimmy Lile folder. All were mint condition.

The seller wanted $1200 and Rick Harrison of Pawn Stars took his $1200 offer. Does that seem low to anyone else?

That is low. Depending on the knives it could be really low, but if that is all the seller was asking it is also a fair deal. ETA: Somehow missed that one of them was the Rambo knife. I believe that goes for around 2k+ by itself.

You don't go to a Pawn shop to get the most money for your item, you go to get money quickly.

You don't go to a Pawn shop to get the most money for your item, you go to get money quickly.

Yup, 50% is probably a fair expectation. That way the shop can afford to sell cheap if needed to move inventory, and still make a profit.

Though in this case it sounds like neither one of them knew the real value these would have to one of us, and figured the price was good for some well made steel.

I think there was only one Randall (looked like a model #3-6" in a RBJ sheath). The other "Randall", marked with a "RB" was a knife made by Ray Beers. Even if the Lile is a second generation it's still worth twice what Harrison paid for all.... but that's his job!

Yup, 50% is probably a fair expectation. That way the shop can afford to sell cheap if needed to move inventory, and still make a profit.

Though in this case it sounds like neither one of them knew the real value these would have to one of us, and figured the price was good for some well made steel.

Sounds like the owner of the pawn shop knew if he didn't haggle the price down. ;)

Agreed. They figure you need the money or wouldn't be there. I've seen people talk them UP to 20 cents on the dollar if they have a good enough product to turn over quickly. I've seen gun stores do the same thing with peoples estates that were being sold off. Leave your ex or doaghter 25 firearms and they look at the laws, and decide to go to a dealer. Then the raping begins. I've seen it all too many times. $20,000 worth of guns turns into $2250 and the executor/trix walks away thanking them glad to be done with those things that have so many different laws governing them and their sale, possession of Hi cap mags, etc. One I saw had a AR 15/SP1 that the guy thought might be modified with a drop in M16 bolt ( the early SP1's came with them IIRC) and decided to part it out just giving away some parts. He didn't want to ask a dealer in case it was modified because the dealer would have reported it.

I've seen some really bad things happen to gun and knife collections. If I know I have little time left I'm getting rid of things myself as at least I have a decent chance of getting value out of them.

Knife ( or gun) collections are not like stocks, bonds or savings accounts. Most spouses don't even know the extent of the collections, or the real prices paid. :) They couldn't tell a Loveless from a cold steel.

That would have been a keeper!!! Better off selling it in the parking lot of a gun show!

"One I saw had a AR 15/SP1 that the guy thought might be modified with a drop in M16 bolt ( the early SP1's came with them IIRC) and decided to part it out just giving away some parts."

As an example, I saw a Tag Heuer watch very similar to one I own in a local pawn shop. They had it priced at $2000, twice what I paid for mine used but like new from an authorized dealer. I am an old pro at bickering with pawnshop salesmen but couldn't get him to go below $1800 "out the door". I went into another shop owned by the same company with mine and asked how much I could get. $150 was the best offer they would make.

That would have been a keeper!!! Better off selling it in the parking lot of a gun show!

We have undercover deputies as well as BATF that stay out there, walk around and try to get you to break the law. There is no such thing as "gun show loophole" here in NC and they aggressively pursue potential victims...I mean non law abiding types. Rifles are going to be ok other than gun show/fairground ( state property) rules about not selling in the parking lot ( trespassing maybe? I'm not sure what the charge would be). If there are any irregularities in the weapon though like having certain parts not installed but in the same vicinity as a rifle it's treated as a MG/destructive device. If you know what parts are ok to be there, no problem, but if you aren't sure it's part it out selectively or turn it in at a loss. That too is common now. I saw a daughter do that with a pistol she inherited from her father as she didn't want to have to get a NC pistol permit for it, or, a concealed carry license which is good as a permit because you are background checked before issue.

As an example, I saw a Tag Heuer watch very similar to one I own in a local pawn shop. They had it priced at $2000, twice what I paid for mine used but like new from an authorized dealer. I am an old pro at bickering with pawnshop salesmen but couldn't get him to go below $1800 "out the door". I went into another shop owned by the same company with mine and asked how much I could get. $150 was the best offer they would make.

That sounds like the business. The more desperate to buy or sell the harder line they take.

I've had not dis similar occurrences with insurance claim adjusters. Don't ever make the mistake of telling one you are broke and need to get settled to buy a car to get back to work. Bad move. My ex wife did that once. They stuck it to her even though their client was cited by police, admitted being wrong, and had witnesses saying the same. They gave her Nothing.

The next time I acted indifferent, went out and bought my wife a car before settling and it was a completely different story. They were accomodating, helpful and my wife even turned a profit for pain & suffering. Dontbethelowhangingfruit.com :)

Do you know what episode number it was?

It was the newest episode, it aired Thursday the 22nd at 8:30 central, and is titled "Mission To Pawn"...the knives can be seen at around the 25 minute mark.

It was the newest episode, it aired Thursday the 22nd at 8:30 central, and is titled "Mission To Pawn"...the knives can be seen at around the 25 minute mark.

Thanks M.FREEZE
We get the re-runs so I will be looking out for this one
Cheers

There is a true Lile Rambo knife on the 'Bay right now for $2,800 and another for $970...oh and a 'very rare'(1 of 12) mini Rambo knife by Lile for $3,500, and Randall's are usually a able to pull $400+ depending on the model so it does seem a bit low to me:confused:
http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Custom-Hand-Made-LILE-Rambo-Mission-Saw-Back-Survival-Commando-Fighting-Knife-/251269703160?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item3a80d765f8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lile-Knife-Sly-ll-Baby-Rambo-1-Of-12-Made-Very-Rare-Never-Used-Very-Nice-/141026595091?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item20d5d71113

Back