Knives on Survivor2

i caught a glimps of the show today but what i saw intrigued me. One lady had a large bowie, flat ground with a long clip. At first I thought it was a Cold Steel Trailmaster but noticed that the crossguard was cantled. It reminded me of a few pics of Lamey's stuff. That being said, did anyone bother to watch the show and write down what blades were present?

I was watching too and noticed that bowie. The bowie looked recurvedslightly to me! That would be cool!

The only other blade I saw was that rusty, rusty, rusty and wide machete thing the one team was using. It looked like it was in pretty rough shape. I just hope no one sticks their blades into the fire or do anything else like that!

------------------
"Come What May..."

I saw it too. It did have a recurve to it.
They only gave a couple of quick glimpses, but it reminded me of a Gil Hibben knife. Maybe??

--The Raptor--

Probably made by United Cutlery.
smile.gif

I saw it too. It had a noticable crossguard and what looked like a stacked leather handle. Blade length was about 6"+. I wish I had a better look, but at a first glance, Randall went through my mind...I could certainly be wrong. I didn't notice the recurve.

Ron

[This message has been edited by Ron@SOG (edited 01-29-2001).]

The first thing that popped into my mind when I saw that knife was "could that be a Siska". When I saw the thick brass guard I figured that it is most likely a cheap pos picked up right there in Australia. The show did pick me up after the Giants loss though.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
"The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none."
Thomas Carlyle

I just got a glimps of if as I walked through the breakroom. I could have sworn it was a Brend fighter. The picture I referenced there is a knife for sale at Robertson Custom Cutlery.

Considering the cost of a real Brend, I figured it was probably a Taiwan knock off.

[This message has been edited by John Hollister (edited 01-29-2001).]

John,
You got it close with the blade grind. But the blade design had more recurve to it and the guard was a thick brass with the ends turned up facing the blade tip.

Ron,
I thought that the handle looked more like wood rather than stacked leather.

It was hard to tell in 1 second flashes.

It looks, to me, alot like the Gil Hibben Kenpo Karate Knife made by United Cutlery. But with a recurve blade??
confused.gif

--The Raptor--

I'm loath to admit that I even watched the show (can you believe out of sixteen people not one of them could even light a fire
rolleyes.gif
?).

Anyway, my first thought was also Brend because of the way the grind sort of curved in at the choil. It had more of a clip point than the Brend Model 2 however, and there were several spacers behind the guard (red, black, and yellow I think).

I actually thought the knife looked pretty decent.

Hmmm whatever blade it was will surely pop up again. Then it might be identifiable. It struck me as odd though that the lady that had that bowie was just idly whittling at a twig. She also wasn't too concerned with another teammate's leg being so close to her work! Saw that machete too. Who picks their equipment? If I was there i'd buy better gear.
And your right: eighteen people and no fire? The place looks like it hasn't seen rain in a week or so so there must be some tender EASILY available. It just makes you wonder if Y2k really went down how many people would have frozen to death if a zippo wasn't handy.

From my side of the TV the knife in question looked very crappy.

Infact I would be ashamed to use a knife that looked like that.

But then again thats what you get with a bunch of computer guys tossed out in the woods like lost puppys in a deep freezer.

Say what?

Dunno, it seemed alright to me. Looked very much like one of those Broadwell fighters on Les Robertson's site.

I wouldn't put it above one of the contestants to buy a good blade. Seemed to me like she was showing it off. Though I must say taking a fighting knife to a survival exercise was a strange choice.

[This message has been edited by tallwingedgoat (edited 01-30-2001).]

this might be a dumb question to you guys, but how do you start a fire without matches or lighter. The only thing I could think of was the twisting of the stick using a bow. They tried that and it didn't work. What else can you do?

There is no reason they shouldn't have able to start a fire with the firebow. They just didn't know what they were doing. One of them said they were using the method they read in a book. If they were, they read the wrong book!

I like the show! It isn't just about survival against the elements. Its a game, very important concept. The knife looked like a real cheapie to me, not expensive at all. That wide blade machete was indeed rusty, but looked like the sort of thing the native population would have chosen above other tools.

Starting a fire with a bow drill is hard if you haven't done it before and especially so if you don't understand the native materials. Some types of wood just don't work very well, and it didn't look to me like they had made the base right. I didn't notice a notch (where the tinder goes) for example. That being said, I'm no expert. I prefer to keep some ferrocium and good tinder with me at all times.

It seems obvious that someone would have thought of bring matches or other means of starting fire as their "personal item", but I'm guessing that this was specifically disallowed.

Nice location though. Much more interesting than the island.

Looked like one of the Magnum models to me, I could be wrong. I think I saw it once in a BQ catalog under that brand name.
Ten

There was no notch off the side of the base. And when they started getting smoke, they took the rod (that the firebow was twisting) and touched it to the tinder..., as if there was a coal at the tip of the rod
smile.gif

Obviously, they either read very bad books, or they didn't pay much attention to what they were reading.

I noticed one group had a pair of glasses (in the original Survivor show, one of the groups started a fire with..., I think it was B.B.'s glasses), but the new show didn't spend much time showing them trying to start a fire with glasses this time. It looked like, though, that the glasses weren't very "strong".

I wonder whether each group gets the same equipment selection, in each of the boxes at the beginning of the show..., or whether the contestants are just told "Okay, bring a knife", and they can bring one knife of whatever style they want.

Just heard that they are replaying the first show tonight (Wednesday) on CBS at either 8 or 9 pm (at least locally here in Seattle). So a second look at this knife is possible. Fire up the VCR for those frame-by-frame reviews.
smile.gif

BTW...I hate these reality based shows! I didn't watch even one show of Survivor last season. I only watched this one because I was already parked on the couch because of the Superbowl, my wife wanted to watch it, and I was too lazy to do something else.

Ron

Originally posted by matthew rapaport:

Starting a fire with a bow drill is hard if you haven't done it before and especially so if you don't understand the native materials. Some types of wood just don't work very well, and it didn't look to me like they had made the base right. I didn't notice a notch (where the tinder goes) for example. That being said, I'm no expert. I prefer to keep some ferrocium and good tinder with me at all times.

I second that. As for the show, cut me some major slack. I would really get into the show IF it were a survival show, not some soap opera-ish game show/popularity contest.

Don't know about the knife in question because I did not and will not see the show.

Back