• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Good Knives Ship Free Moving to Chattanooga

Not a big Krystal fan. Krystal is no longer family owned, but is still based in Chattanooga as far as I know.

Was curious about sales tax collection and Amazon. Googled it and came up with a March 29, 2018 article which states Amazon will begin collecting sales tax from all states that have a sales tax beginning April 1st. Would post a link but for some reason it won't paste. So, this is why Trump is talking about USPS costs versus sales tax.

Amazon has been collecting sales tax in Florida for a number of years. My Amazon purchases are low enough that it doesn't hurt that much. However I bought a used custom Hinderer(3" spanto non flipper) online from a Florida dealer(area had 7% tax) and that stung. I have been spoiled by the exchange.

I should add-I would gladly pay sales tax to be able to view and handle the knives in person. The move is very positive for those living in the TN. area.

Last edited:
Reactions: HST
That's good news for me. I live on the south side of ATL and I can be in TN fairly quickly. Could be some nice day trips up to the storefront once they open up.

Reactions: HST
22-rimfire 22-rimfire I read Krystal HQ moved to ATL but it began in Chattanooga and I'm just saying it is better than the other guys. Not to turn thing political but I am a bit puzzled by the remarks regarding USPS and Sale Tax it is two separate things and you don't pay sales tax on postage. I would think any loss of revenue USPS has with Amazon is due to their own failings in their contracted rates. Back to the subject I hope to get a chance to visit once they have moved plenty of things to visit Chattanooga for anyhow.

USPS and Sales Tax.... sales tax tends to be an issue with online purchases and I know sales tax is not collected on postage. The two items have absolutely no relation to KSF moving to TN. I believe you're correct about Krystal HQ. It is just something I'm not all that interested in. Ted Turner started in Chattanooga.

Yeah, Frost Cutlery is in Ooltewah (right along I-75) with a modest sized knife store to sell mostly their stuff. (They are what they are.) The Frost family is embedded in Chattanooga. Chattanooga has a fairly long history in the knife industry. The National Knife museum used to be in Chatt, but it closed and the building sold. I suspect a lot of the stuff went to Sevierville TN as there is definitely a relationship there (Jim Parker connection).

They said they are moving - again - and added something in their post about hopefully won't be moving again. You guys that live nearby are lucky to be able to shop in person. Only downside is for the people that live in TN, but not near the store as I assume they will pay tax.

You are still supposed to be paying tax. FYI

Who is Liable for Use Tax?
[Tenn. Code Ann. §§ 67-6-203, 67-6-210,
67-6-208, 67-6-231]
When a user of tangible personal
property, computer software, computer
software maintenance contracts, warranty
or maintenance contracts covering
tangible personal property located in this
state, and specified digital property does
not pay sales tax to a dealer, the user
becomes personally liable for the tax. This
generally occurs when a user purchases
articles from an out-of-state dealer not
registered for Tennessee tax.

You are still supposed to be paying tax. FYI

Who is Liable for Use Tax?
[Tenn. Code Ann. §§ 67-6-203, 67-6-210,
67-6-208, 67-6-231]
When a user of tangible personal
property, computer software, computer
software maintenance contracts, warranty
or maintenance contracts covering
tangible personal property located in this
state, and specified digital property does
not pay sales tax to a dealer, the user
becomes personally liable for the tax. This
generally occurs when a user purchases
articles from an out-of-state dealer not
registered for Tennessee tax.

I don't live in TN. Are you saying if someone buys a knife from KSF in TN the purchaser is required by law to pay TN sales tax?

I don't live in TN. Are you saying if someone buys a knife from KSF in TN the purchaser is required by law to pay TN sales tax?

Yes,as far as I understand you have to pay your taxes. In Missouri too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_tax
http://dor.mo.gov/business/sales/#sales

Use Tax
Use tax is imposed on the storage, use or consumption of tangible personal property in this state. The state use tax rate is 4.225%. Cities and counties may impose an additional local use tax. The amount of use tax due on a transaction depends on the combined (local and state) use tax rate in effect at the Missouri location where the tangible personal property is stored, used or consumed. Local use taxes are distributed in the same manner as sales taxes.

Unlike sales tax, which requires a sale at retail in Missouri, use tax is imposed directly upon the person that stores, uses, or consumes tangible personal property in Missouri. Use tax does not apply if the purchase is from a Missouri retailer and subject to Missouri sales tax.

Missouri cannot require out-of-state companies that do not have nexus or a "direct connection" with the state to collect and remit use tax. If an out-of -state seller does not collect use tax from the purchaser, the purchaser is responsible for remitting the use tax to Missouri.

Back on subject, I live an hour and a half from Chattanooga and am looking forward to visiting KSF.

Last edited:
Use tax means you are supposed to pay your local government for goods bought out of state. This is generally unenforced and nearly unenforceable as well few people know about it and even if you know about it you likely don't know how to actually go about paying it. This adds to the reason that online sales need to begin enforcing sales tax more it is easier for the seller to collect a tax than it is for a buyer to pay one. I would be curious about how sale tax revenue has charted from just before ecommerce to now.

Yes,as far as I understand you have to pay your taxes. In Missouri too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_tax
http://dor.mo.gov/business/sales/#sales

Use Tax
Use tax is imposed on the storage, use or consumption of tangible personal property in this state. The state use tax rate is 4.225%. Cities and counties may impose an additional local use tax. The amount of use tax due on a transaction depends on the combined (local and state) use tax rate in effect at the Missouri location where the tangible personal property is stored, used or consumed. Local use taxes are distributed in the same manner as sales taxes.

Unlike sales tax, which requires a sale at retail in Missouri, use tax is imposed directly upon the person that stores, uses, or consumes tangible personal property in Missouri. Use tax does not apply if the purchase is from a Missouri retailer and subject to Missouri sales tax.

Missouri cannot require out-of-state companies that do not have nexus or a "direct connection" with the state to collect and remit use tax. If an out-of -state seller does not collect use tax from the purchaser, the purchaser is responsible for remitting the use tax to Missouri.

Back on subject, I live an hour and a half from Chattanooga and am looking forward to visiting KSF.

Interesting, thank you for the education. I never heard of this before your post.

The use tax applies in most states (that have sales tax) whether the retailer collects a sales tax or not. The thing about sales tax is it probably would cost the state more to collect those taxes involuntarily than the effort would justify. They go after the merchants.

I would assume that KSF will be collecting sales tax from TN shipping addresses or in-store purchases. The rate is 9.25% in Hamilton County, Knox and the two Nashville counties. Chattanooga is in Hamilton County. That tax rate varies with the local increment. For example, Bradley (adjacent to Hamilton) and Sevier Counties (Gatlinburg area) collect 9.5% on sales. There is no income tax in TN (earned income). The state lives on sales tax revenue, and the local governments on property tax and a share of the sales tax. There are business taxes that apply for both state and local governments.

The killer sales tax is on motor vehicles and boats (high dollar purchases). They collect the full state and local amount on these sales. Used to be that the tax % was reduced for motor vehicles.

Just to add clarification to what 22-rimfire 22-rimfire has said the state sales tax rate is 7.25% IIRC with the local rate in Davidson, Hamilton, and Knox Counties being 2% resulting in a 9.25% for those and Bradley and Sevier have a local rate of 2.25% for their 9.5%.

Motor Vehicles you get hit with so many taxes and fees you can't figure out what the hell you just paid for but you will be paying for it for the next 5+ years.

Back