knives you love but almost never carry of use.

Maybe it's just me?

I have some knives i really like, but almost never carry because of one or a few downsides they have.

i really like using my opinel knives, and in the kitchen and around the house i use them very much. however i almost never carry them because of the 2 handed open and closing and the lack of a pocket clip. the're also too light to carry for my taste.

the same thing applies to my Victorinox Rangergip 61. it's a great knife in many ways, but the not sharpened part of the blade and the lack of a pocket clip means it almost never get's pocket time.

the last one would be the WE ZETA, it's a safequeen because i'm afraid to hurt it :(.

I've never really kept a knife I wouldn't carry or use regularly. The closest thing I have to that are a few machetes where I cut them to unique patterns for the heck of it, and I have them but don't use them because I don't typically need a machete.

Most knives that I've bought and dislike for some reason ended up back here on the for sale area.

I have a few knives that fall into that category.

I agree with you about opinels. I own several and leave them around at home and office but they don't get "EDC'd" for the same reason as you describe. I have an absolutely lovely Seki-era SOG Tomcat that was gifted to me but without a pocket clip it's just too big and inconvenient to EDC, so it only gets used around the house.

I also have knives I love that have downsides that go beyond mere inconvenience. Like my Solo SO05, a deeply flawed design that is nevertheless lovable because it is so rare and was such a good idea that failed in execution. That one doesn't even get used around the house. It's just a weird part of the collection.

I don’t carry Cold Steel folders as often as I’d like due to the tight pocket clip. I’ve got some aftermarket pocket clips on order that I hope alleviates the issue and increases carry time.

I also don’t carry my traditional folders as much as I’d like due to sweat and being near saltwater so often.

Maybe it's just me?

I have some knives i really like, but almost never carry because of one or a few downsides they have.

i really like using my opinel knives, and in the kitchen and around the house i use them very much. however i almost never carry them because of the 2 handed open and closing and the lack of a pocket clip. the're also too light to carry for my taste.

the same thing applies to my Victorinox Rangergip 61. it's a great knife in many ways, but the not sharpened part of the blade and the lack of a pocket clip means it almost never get's pocket time.

the last one would be the WE ZETA, it's a safequeen because i'm afraid to hurt it :(.

I have plenty of knives that I love to own but don’t really carry. Lately I have been trying to avoid knives like this and focus more on knives that I know I will love. Thus I have slowly been accumulatinf multiples of knives that I love. I must have owned 7 or 8 incarnations of the Emerson cqc7 not including Kershaw cqc7k or ZT0620 which are sort of related.

I have several ZTs that I love but don’t really carry. Usually because they are too big or too heavy. Most knives I don’t carry much it is because they are too heavy or big. But I still love owning most of them.

Spyderco PM2. It’s just something about the blade shape I just can’t warm up to. The one I have is in my favorite steel I guess I keep it thinking I’ll like it one day.

Gerber Mk-1

Love it, and it's probably one of the most quintessential daggers there is, but it's illegal to carry in my state. Plus, it's not really functional as an EDC tool. But it's also sentimental, as it was my father's, and I always drooled over it as a kid, so it stays in the safe.

My Burger EXK1 carbon fiber that I custom ordered direct. It’s my dress up knife and for me it’s irreplaceable so I don’t carry it often, but I love it. Small, stout, easy deployment and a nice slicer.

I believe there are a whole lot of these. The Opinels are a good example as is the Gerber mark. However, there are many really nice knives which are just not as easy to carry (e.g. Chambriards in a pouch) as others. :( Some knives are very desirable and functional but not so EDC-able (is that a word?). ;)

I don’t carry my Buck 110 often as it is big and heavy.

I rarely carry my Buck 119, 102 and 103 either. Just because they are all in great shape and my beat up ESEE, Case, Landi and Steel Will fixed blades are currently serving the same functions. They won’t be leaving the collection though, and will eventually get use.

I love almost all my knives (and that's a lot of knives) but I only carry a few. At one time I carried larger folding knives, up to 4" blades. Today I prefer carrying smaller folding knives, mostly 3" or less. I also no longer carry any of my traditional folders although I like the various configurations and blade styles.

I have an old Buck 112 that I love, but carry infrequently because of the weight.

I currently own 11 modern folders, plus a Wenger Esquire (Vic Classic analog) and a Victorinox Classic. I carry the Esquire every day, without fail, no exceptions. I also carry a Kizer Gemini about 5-6 days/week. Consequently, most of my knives get little pocket time. I make it a point to rotate through the rest on the other 1-2 days/week, because I love everything I own. All of them have been used.

I am adventurous and enjoy living on the edge, so I ordered something to compete for pocket time. It’s ... (drumroll) ... a Kizer Ursa Minor.

I have a fairly large Bowie which will rarely get used, but I absolutely love it.
My Boker Carver’s Congress rarely gets used but I’m trying to change that. I finally got around to having it properly sharpened.
09E7YR0.jpg

Last edited:
I have one Rat 1 (just that one, I use the rest) I can't bring myself to use. When I opened the box this one was the perfect specimen. It was laser sharp, even ground, and operates smooth as silk. I've chosen to leave it in that state of awesomeness.

I don’t carry Cold Steel folders as often as I’d like due to the tight pocket clip. I’ve got some aftermarket pocket clips on order that I hope alleviates the issue and increases carry time.

I also don’t carry my traditional folders as much as I’d like due to sweat and being near saltwater so often.
It's easy to bend CS clips -- I take mine off, clamp them in a vise and gently bend them out.

It's easy to bend CS clips -- I take mine off, clamp them in a vise and gently bend them out.

I was messing around with the clip on a broken skull. I bent the tip out to allow the clip to slide over pocket stitching and had to bend the main part out to loosen.

On the regular pocket clips like on the Recon, Lawman, etc. do you just bend it out to loosen it? I still want to make sure the clip contacts the scale.

I don't buy knives that I won't carry, regardless of size, weight and what not.

Back