knives you love but almost never carry of use.

For me, it is the Buck 112. I think it has the most beautiful lines of any knife. But it's too fat for front pocket carry and find the Buck 500 much easier to carry on the rare occasions I pocket carry a knife. Usually, I carry a larger traditional in my right rear pocket and I just find a larger Buck 110 (and many other knives) more useful.

<Aside on the Opinel>
IMO, the Opinel is a large traditional and the carry issues are similar. Other include the Buck 110, Case Large Sodbuster and several of the larger GECs.

I think there are 3 reasonable ways to carry a large clipless traditional:
1) in a belt holster
2) in a jacket pocket
3) in a rear pocket.

I prefer the latter and sew a vertical seam in my right rear pocket to hold the knife up, right next to the outer seam. I can carry a brass Buck 110 there. It's comfortable, secure, easy to access and most of all, its discrete and doesn't advertise that I have a knife on me.

In terms of one hand opening, Opinels can be opened and closed one handed but comparing them to a modern folder is like comparing a 3-speed Columbus mounted standard transmission to a modern paddle shift. More to the point, if you want to one hand open and close an Opinel, you need to a) learn a new, non-intuitive technique and b) practice it till becomes second nature.

I prefer to drive stick shift cars but got an automatic when it was time to teach my kids how to drive. Opinels are like that.

Well here's a few :
The two Gerbers, upper left, I dig the heck out of the big old pivots but the pivots suck so bad even after I spent a bunch of time on them. I tried them the other day after not opening one for a year and it was just so stiff. Worst lock stick I have ever experienced on the Tanto at the very top. Think small pry bar and then you get cut by the blade when it finally releases . . . yeah . . . it's special ;)
From those to the right is my SAK Champ, as you can see from the belt pouch it got a whole lot of carry back in the nineties but I have since replaced it with an SAK Explorer and a Mechanic, both carried in one pouch, and that serves my needs better now. I did carry it one day this year to cut limbs on the bike path.

Next knife needs no introduction (110) I did carry it this year for a week or so after not carrying it for a decade or more.

aaaannnnnnnnnnd my Cold Steel Holdout One. I love this thing. I carry it around home but it is about twice as long as the legal limit around here so . . .

IMG_5506.JPG

I love this Daniel Fairly TBO but I don't find the opportunity to use it as often as I would like.
41336576152_12bb07a9ad_h.jpg

Mostly fixed blades. I found folders do meet most of my needs.
I do have a Spyderco Military that stays at home since the PM2 can handle it.

...I have several ZTs that I love but don’t really carry. Usually because they are too big or too heavy. Most knives I don’t carry much it is because they are too heavy or big. But I still love owning most of them.
I realized that a couple years ago and started concentrating on knives I might actually use and on modern's, they almost always fall in the 3"-3.25" blade size. The heavy ZT's have little appeal for me, but I honestly understand why people like them.

I have a pretty fair number of knives that never get used and I enjoy periodically getting them out and fondling them. Some represent earlier preferences or my knowledge base and others I just like.

I've had it 2 years now I still haven't put it in its sheath.
I have a couple knives that I have only put in the sheath when I bought them to make sure it fit. I honestly don't blame you with the Randall. I have a couple Randall's that I have owned for years. Getting older and it may be time to move them to another appreciative owner. I resist however because I just like to fondle them.

My whole rationale behind the model 2 in the configuration I chose was that at the very least I could occasionally carry it at the Rennaisance Faires (this weekend coincidentally;)).

~Chip

Flippers
I love to play with them but in pocket the flipper tab reeks havoc with my phone and wallet which shares the same space.

Traditionals
If I'm online looking at knives odds are I'm starring longingly at some beautiful Gec or the like. However I don't carry them as often as I want, I just don't have the available pocket space.

I feel the same way about GEC's. Love them. But.... I carry a 111mm SAK and usually a modern folder. No room for a larger traditional that I would normally prefer. Hence, I started carrying a Case Peanut in my watch pocket on pants that have a watch pocket. Don't even know it's there and I do use it from time to time because I like it.

My Burger EXK1 carbon fiber that I custom ordered direct. It’s my dress up knife and for me it’s irreplaceable so I don’t carry it often, but I love it. Small, stout, easy deployment and a nice slicer.
I’m expecting to receive an EXK Plus from Trevor in the next month or two. I hope I don’t change my intent to carry it a lot, Once I have it in hand.

My whole rationale behind the model 2 in the configuration I chose was that at the very least I could occasionally carry it at the Rennaisance Faires (this weekend coincidentally;)).

~Chip

That is so funny!

Honstly there are several knives I have where I’m like, “any day now I will have to equip a platoon of soldiers with these rugged knives designed to pry the enemies head off!” Or also “I’ll sure be happy if I ever have need to fight enemies who wear car doors for armour .

Last edited:
Back