Knives you wish weren't discontinued!

BM AFCK linerlock (seriously someone needs to email a link to this thread to Benchmade)
Spyderco Lum Tanto
Emerson Specwar

I sort of concur on the Benchmade Apache. It was a very strong knife with superb grinding and incredible sharpness, because of the one-sided sharp-radius hollow edge grind bevel (which I have never personally seen on any other knife)... However it did, once in years, open very quietly in my rear pant pocket, sticking its point 1" through the fabric out of my rear pocket (unknowingly to me), catching my finger as it brushed by... This caused me a full skin depth 1" slashed index that took over six weeks to fully heal, and was still sensitive to pressure even at the 4 week mark... Didn't want stitches in that part of my hand, for some reason, and I was quite afraid of the knife afterwards (but still carried it for a few more months)...

I don't understand why so many miss the AFCK: I loved the efficicient-looking design, and got one as soon as it came out (in 1995 if memory serves) , but the actual knife was disapointing (for me): The handle scales actually flexed deeply when you squeezed he handle, to the point you could get the flimsy liner lock to -fully?- disengage (or very nearly so, I can't remember exactly, but I definitely remember it moving around from just hand pressure squeezing the handle). Sharpness was not that great, and much worse on the plain edged ones, as the secondary bevel went quite close to the edge at the rear...

I miss most of the many fixed blades of Al Mar, except the SOG style bowie ones...

Gaston

Al Mar SERE Attack series.

Original Masters of Defense folders---all 5 of them.

The original HEST fixed blade by Rowen which they just started making again..

Emerson CQC-6 and original HD-7.

I sort of concur on the Benchmade Apache.

I don't understand why so many miss the AFCK

I think you are confusing the BM AFCK with the CRKT Apache. IIRC the Apache was made by CRKT to directly compete with the AFCK. The Apache shows that when CRKT wants to put out a quality product with upgraded materials they can!

20141024_092941.jpg

The G10 Delica 4! Still on the hunt for another one of these.

All the great balisongs

4x
Tachyon 2
Basilisk
Tempest
Kimura

Good new ones are coming, or are here, but a larger selection would be great

I think you are confusing the BM AFCK with the CRKT Apache. IIRC the Apache was made by CRKT to directly compete with the AFCK. The Apache shows that when CRKT wants to put out a quality product with upgraded materials they can!

20141024_092941.jpg

No, I actually owned both. No question the Apache was a superb knife, and way, way better than the AFCK.

My mistake was I forgot the Apache was not a Benchmade but a CRKT: Pretty egregious, I'll admit...

Gaston

Not the most practical, for me at least, but the Benchmade Skirmish was a knife the I wanted simply for its awesomeness.

Did get a coated CE Ruckus, b/c I had no patience. And then I stupidly passed on a NIB uncoated PE Ruckus for $100. Although not a fan of CE knives, this one actually ain't bad. It has a long blade and the serrated portion is small, so it really works well. I'd still rather have the PE for $100!

No, I actually owned both. No question the Apache was a superb knife, and way, way better than the AFCK.

My mistake was I forgot the Apache was not a Benchmade but a CRKT: Pretty egregious, I'll admit...

Gaston

I was referring to the AFCK 806, with the Axis lock. There is zero flex in that one in any direction. I own 4 of them and they are all as solid as anything available. The liner lock version has been reported to have had a lot of "flex", I never owned one but I've read many threads and know people that do own one.

Back