Kukri WIP - The Bone Collector

Patrice Lemée;11945871 said:
Thanks Nathan, now you've done it. Airbrush added to the "ToBuy" list. :(;)

Thanks for the tip David, interesting. That generates another bunch of idea in my overactive noggin. I finally went with tea to dye the bones.

Just to tell you guys that the Khukuri is finally done. Not perfect but it looks good enough and I have given all the I had to give to this particular knife. :eek:
Photo session today and if all goes well I should have pics posted on Sunday.

Almost 20K views.:eek: I sure appreciate you guys following this. :thumbup:

I just got 2 airbrushes, a single action Badger 200NH and a dual action Badger 155 Anthem. Just watch where you buy them from and they aren't too expensive. I way over paid for the 200NH, $170 at Michaels:eek: I picked up the Anthem for $105 through a hobby store. The Anthem is the better airbrush and it was the deluxe kit that came with the braided hose, 3 jars, and a 1/4 oz cup. If you want something simple for covering wide areas a simple external mix brush can be picked up for about $20 new. internal mixing brushes have a better spray pattern though.

Thanks for the good words Shawn and the info Unky. I will definitely look into an airbrush in the future. :thumbup:

So at last here is the finished knife.

bone_collector1.jpg

Not the greatest pic but the best I could do. Here is the link in Customs for the specs.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1047250-The-Bone-Collector?p=11955950#post11955950

Thanks for following and stay tuned for sheath progress.

That is a work of art. It isn't my favorite work of yours, but I suspect my brain just isn't sophisticated enough to appreciate it. :D However, you would have to be a complete stranger to high end knives not to recognize the amount of dedication that went into making this blade.

It seems that you can never top yourself, but with every blade that you produce you seem to do just that. Patrice, your work is AMAZING! Thank you for allowing us to join you on your journeys to make such great work.

Heck ya!! Bravo Patrice, that came out very nice, I know you learned a few things, doing the sheath isnt a walk in the park either!:thumbup: :thumbup:
Greg

The Inquisitor is still my favorite, but I can appreciate the amount of work this took. You're making what you want and that's what's important.

Ohhh HELL YES!!

Patrice that really came together quite nicely. I think the subtle coloring of the bone pieces provides an attractive compliment to the whole handle. I like your design for the blood-letting spike(or whatever that thingy is called), the bones are VERY well done, and your addition of the top bevel is adds an additional element of uniqueness to the whole piece.

I can't wait to see what you do for the sheath/scabbard.

Well done sir.... well done!!

-Peter

:eek: It was worth the wait..... Its crazy looking through the WIP and seeing what it started out as and it turned out this nice.

Patrice, that baby is gorgeous! Absolutely amazing. It turned out very nicely. I love all the aspects of it, there isn't a single part I don't like.

Patrice, that was WELL worth the wait, I have been following this thread since you started and it was really great to get to see the progression. I think the bevel on the upper edge just in front of the ricasso was a great idea, it looks really nice. I like the overall blade, but I think my favorite parts are the brass in the handle and the takedown nut, that looks really nice. The wood is beautiful and the bones are a really cool idea as well.

Great great job!

Thanks again for the compliments.
I am glad that I have still have the sheath to add to this cause I kind of like having you guys hang out with me in the shop. :thumbup:

Great work, Patrice! What you did with the bone coloring sets it off very well.
I'm gonna recommend you pat yourself on the back for this one.

Thanks Salem, I appreciate the compliment.
Sadly I have to say that as nice as it turned out, it is still not nice enough for self back patting. I am shooting a little (ok maybe a lot) higher than that. :eek:

Hi! My name is Patrice and I am a perfectionist! :eek: They say the first step is admitting it. ;)

But don't get me wrong, I am still pleased with my progress and all the good words. :thumbup:

Here is a take-down pic as requested by Phil in another thread.

bone_collector_take_down1.jpg

Hi Guys. Did you miss me? ;)

Not a big update since I don't have the leather needed yet. Hopefully I can go to the local Tandy store next week and finish this.
Still to make sure I am ready when I do have the leather I did most of the shaping of the sheath's wood core.

I wanted to add a little flair to the sheath and also tie it together with the Khukuri's theme so I replicated the cutout pattern

WIP_Kukri_158_zpsa54ba47d.jpg

And then using the Foredom and the KMG, relieved the pattern and also shaped the sheath sides. I may do a little more to thin the overall thickness but that will mostly be the shape.

WIP_Kukri_159_zps6027dbac.jpg

I still need to make a brass throat and tip (which I've never done before) but I need the finished sheath for that.

Thanks for looking.

Beautiful knife you are a true craftsman! Thanks for sharing it's journey, it gives me a new appreciation of what it takes to make a good knife!

Thanks for the good words guys, you are too kind.

David, you have a better eye than me cause I still can't see a particular style in the knives I make. Maybe cause I am too close to them and can't see the bigger picture.
The only connecting threads I can see is that I have to complicate every design I start with and they take me a buttload of time to make. ;)

Back