Kukri WIP - The Bone Collector

Ahh, but Patrice, take the Persian you made, while you downplayed the final package, it was intricate, and yes, prettty complicated. So were some of the other knifes you made, and most certainly this one. It's not my favorite of all the knives you've made, (I still like the Persian the best), but if I didn't know who the maker was-I'd guess it was yours, just by the design.
Now, how are you going to complicate the scabbord? It should be an easy make, unless you decide to line it with fur, put silver filigree on it, do a complicated backstrap rig, etc. Just kidding, Patrice... (Lol). Anyway, unique style or not, anyway you cut it your Kukri is cool! Haha, cut it, I made a pun.

Last edited:
Now, how are you going to complicate the scabbard? It should be an easy make, unless you decide to line it with fur, put silver filigree on it, do a complicated backstrap rig, etc.

AH geez! You had to go there didn't you? Now I HAVE to do it. :(

;)

Kidding aside, I really appreciate your support David. :thumbup:

We are in the final stretch. :D

Finished shaping and sanding the wood core.

Gluing the 3 layers together.

Clamped and drying.

Of course things were going a little too well. :( The sheath was too tight. It was a little tight before glue up but I thought that with the small thickness of glue it would be perfect when dried. Didn't work, it ended up even tighter.
So I gently cracked it open. Since it is plywood it de-laminated in such a way that it will easily go back together.

I used a sanding drum in the Foredom to remove a little wood on the inside.

And after cleaning it thoroughly to make sure there was no grit left behind from the sanding to scratch the blade, I glued it together again. I tried my best not too put too much glue but just in case I used a piece of cardboard to spread or remove any glue that could have squeezed out from the joint on the inside. We don't want any big build up of glue to prevent the blade from going in and out easily.

Next the fittings. Some 22 gauge brass should do the trick and be thin enough to let me hammer it to shape gently using a small anvil and the wood core.

Shaping the throat is relatively easy. I put a thickness of leather in there to make sure I it is not too tight.

Shaped the tip in two pieces and will braze it together next.

The rest and finished pics tomorrow night.
Thanks again for sticking with me through this lengthy WIP. :thumbup:

Don't forget to put a dust collector in the sheath! :)

Seriously, I'm glad you got past the fitting on the sheath. Looks very nice.

Thanks Greg, glad you like it.

Started brazing one side so I can shape it a little better. I did not go into the details of the brazing since this is the first time I do it and don't have a good enough grasp of the process to presume showing you how to do it. :eek:

And the whole thing done. Well there is are a few holes left that I need to fill but I need to get some thinner brazing rods.

Well as you'll see in the next pic, I did not find thinner rods and I made swiss cheese of the fitting with the rods I had. So we started again with thicker brass, 18 gauge if I am not mistaken.

And it is not perfect but better than the previous attempt that you can see here. :(
I also decided on a design change for the tip.

Brazed a thicker piece at the end, trying to replicate a bit of the look of the pommel.

And the finished fittings

Sanded and polished, ready for the next step which is the leather covering.

More to come...

I found a nice white deerskin at the local Tandy leather shop what should do nicely.
Cut a piece to size

I am using contact cement so I drew approximately where the sheath will go so I am as precise as possible with the cement.

I want to do it in progressive steps so I can press the leather nicely around the “bones” design. We start with the face.

And then do each sides separately.

From there, it's doing small patch at a time, trying to get a nice tight fit. Not easy to do. I am sure it will get better with each new sheath I do like this.

And finally the sheath with fittings on. I think it looks ok.

And in case you did not see it in the thread in Customs, here are the final sheath pics.

Bone_Collector_Sheath_1.JPG

Bone_Collector_Sheath_2.JPG

Bone_Collector_Sheath_3.JPG

Bone_Collector_Sheath_4.JPG

So that's it. It was a lot of work but I think it turned out ok. My friend has already seen it but I still can't wait to give it to him in person.

I hope this has been interesting . Again thanks for following along, for your help and support and for your good words. It is very much appreciated and a big part of why I do this. :thumbup:

very cool man!! a lot of effort went into this one, I'm glad you got it finished and we got to see it!
truely awesome!

Patrice Lemée;11955958 said:
Thanks for the good words Shawn and the info Unky. I will definitely look into an airbrush in the future. :thumbup:

So at last here is the finished knife.

bone_collector1.jpg

Not the greatest pic but the best I could do. Here is the link in Customs for the specs.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1047250-The-Bone-Collector?p=11955950#post11955950

Thanks for following and stay tuned for sheath progress.

Lets get a picture of that on the last page here.

This is very cool. This is one of those knives that is so different and well done that it really is a pleasure to behold. Our brains get so inundated with the same styles, same features and same basic look from so many directions that something as unique as this that is also well executed is just a hoot. I love the handle in particular. Thank you for a fine WIP.

This is one I followed from the beginning. I really enjoyed all the stages.

I would not pick a blade as a user with holes through the design (at least unless they were filled like the cross on the Inquisitor bowie!).

I have a knife or two with holes through the blade, and for users it catches stuff (gunk) in them.

I don't know if this will ever be a user, as it is such a polished, lovely piece, but the cut out designs sure are eye catching.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I am sure glad you grew to like it.

I agree with what you said about the holes. If I was making a pure user I would definitely not put holes in it. This might cut a couple of small trees or 2X4 for kicks but pretty sure it won't see serious use, if any at all.

Back