Kumar's Coming Back; Murali's Back too

Kumar is expected to return. Murali (sic)-(I haven't seen or heard his name in so long I can't recall how to spell it) came back for two days, then cut his finger badly in an industrial accident and is expected to heal and resume work soon.

Yangdu wanted you guys to know. I think they're still looking for another Kami too.

muink

Thats great news and I hope his health continues to improve. I am too new here to know who Murali is. Seems like all of these guys make absolutely beautiful blades.

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
That's great news about Kumar. Hope to see some Murali's work soon too. Munk can you give us a list of the active Kamis for HI. The ones I know of are Bura, Kumar, Sher, and RR. Is RR still active? Oh and Sgt Khadka. Are there more?

The Kamis with no name went back to their farm. Kesar works for someonelse. Sanu ran away to India. I'll post a complete list when the dust settles. I expect a new Kami as well.

munk

:thumbup: GREAT news. It would be nice if someone could track down Sanu, that man made some truly outstanding blades.

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
my first YCS was made by Murali. Top notch work. :thumbup:

Kumar being out was putting a damper on any H.I. Kerambit plans...so it's good to know he'll be back. :thumbup:

And, of course, it's good to hear his health is improving. :eek:

I would like to see his work since many of us have pieces by Bura, Sher, Kumar, Sgt. Kadka, and Amtrak.

As far as I know Amtrak is long gone. I had about a dozen of his pieces, but all were made in early 2004 at the latest as far as I know. Since then I have sold off about half of them. His absolute best pieces in my opinion were the Chitlangis and Sirus. I also had two very workmanlike knives, an AK and 16.5" WWII from him. None of them were light blades at all. If someone else made a 20 oz.knife, his version would usually be heavier.

I had a horn handled M43 from him and was going to sell it as the handle was a bit small for me, especially as compared to the new ones coming, but the blade itself was so well done I couldn't bear to part with it.

Norm

hdwrlover said:
I would like to see his work since many of us have pieces by Bura, Sher, Kumar, Sgt. Kadka, and Amtrak.

Me too! I have nothing of his from the 2 years I have been here. I have the ones you mention, plus have had Shankar (1), the ! Kami, and Dharan. The Y.B. Kami is Sher I am sure. I also have one bilton from Patan Newari, but think that might be a location rather than a Kami.

Norm

And who says smoke never helped anybody? I'm glad Kumar's returning and Murali will come back. Good news.

Chris

The gathering of the HI Forum's Smoke and Prayer Circle has worked yet again.:thumbup: Thank the God -Gods who did the work, we're just men and women doing the best we can do under the circumstances.:)

I'm going to send more Smoke for Kumar's continued healing and that he lives a long, happy, and prosperous life.

It's a great day hearing that Murali is coming back. Murali is another great kami as kamis go.

Dayumed kamis anyway, always doing what they *think* we Dumb Americans want.:rolleyes:
And usually they're right.:eek: :p

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
Please don't anyone get offended here but I've got a serious question.

If HI pays the kamis well, as intended by Uncle Bill, why are there so few of them now? Is there still more than one shop? Why does Kesar work for someone else?

And why, while reading his very early posts today, was he discussing this generation of Kamis as a dying breed who's children could make more driving taxis and working in restaurants?

Those words made me a little afraid of loosing our beloved HI. Finally, and I say this with trepadation, but is HI charging us too little for these treasures? I mean $145 for a Cherokee Rose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just reading about Sanu and who was the best kami to make straight edge knives. ( In regard to who would make the best Cherokee Rose, since I just got one.) His dad is the biggest scissor manufacturing kami in Nepal, right?

Why did he run away to India?

I miss Sanu's work. He did my old YCS... the best fullers around.

Now we have to find DURBA!!!! Where in the heck did he run off too???