Kurikas in Afghanistan

Originally posted by Bill Martino
They are a tough smoke but I sort of enjoyed them. Smoked the last 3 packs I had about 1 & 1/2 years back.

Beo, you've got it right but I'd spell it like this:

utchatham virginia surti {finest (quality) virginia tobacco}

Initial v is pronouced like hard B. All the Sherpas and many Nepalis call me Bena -- big brother in law -- and pronouced just like that -- Beh nah. But when I get mail from Nepal they spell it either Bena or Vena.

I smoke hand-rolled or unfiltred Lucky Strikes usually - so I don't find too many cigarettes too tough (unless they're just bad tobacco :barf:). Gaulois makes some fantastic cigarettes & rolling-tobacco too - Nat Sherman, though they're expensive, are another one I treat myself too sometimes. Though usually I smoke roll-ups made from one of the Peter Stokkebye blends - good stuff and cheap! Enough about my smoking habits :rolleyes:

yes, looking at it a second time, I realise that's another 'ch', not a 'y', so 'utchchatham' or something like that ('uccatham' in classical orientalist transliteration). I still bet that 'virgina' in Nepalese sounds more like 'Bharjiniya' than 'Va-jin-nya'. But the 'v' sound in Indo-Aryan sounds somewhere between an enlish 'v' and and english 'w', so 'bh' probably is the closest match. Alternation of 'b' and 'v' is pretty common cross-linguistically anyway. Even some native Hindi words show this alternation.

Walosi-I think Virginia tobacco is grown in African too - my blends tend to use tobacco from a lot of different places, because the same botanical variety grown different places tastes different (not surprising, consider tea and grapes [wine]).

cheers, B.

Originally posted by Roger Smith
derringer?

I hope not, for his sake. Otherwise, unless he's a more cunning linguist than Beo, he's gonna have trouble with the ladies.

S.

I smoked Bugler and Top for years and then got lazy. Right now I'm on Camel 99s but I have a carton of Shikar coming from Nepal with the next khukuri shipment. At $3 per carton for Nepali cigarettes vs $24 (and that's cheap -- price I pay on Paiute rez stores) for Camels I've decided to give the Nepali cigs a try again. I can get them for about a quarter of the price of rolling my own and as you can see almost 90% cheaper than Camels.

When I was in the Navy I got a carton of Camels for 80 cents.

What happened?

Ben -

The Virginia strains were no doubt distributed around the Empire rapidly, as the fad grew, and English planters nearly covered the globe. The Carolina varieties (not quite the same as Virginian) were several years later, and were a expansion to meet the demand. All were native plants, and hybrids came with later development. My neighbor in NC showed me some of the native plants, which we cut and flue-cured along with his domestic leaves. Bill said the Nepali smokes were a "bit rough". The native plants point up the popularity of corn-cob pipes - this stuff would scour out an expensive briar in a week (if the smoker lived that long) and different growing conditions and weather can change the characteristics drastically. The natives, cured and blended with the developed leaf, can make a decent pipe tobacco.

Somewhere I read that on your average US$4 packet of cigarettes, the cigarette company makes about 25-50cents gross profit. I don't know if that's accurate or not; but in any case most of the cost is taxes. I think that's most of what happened to 80cent cartons. I get my rolling tobacco pretty cheaply, about US$18 (when you include postage) for 300g (about 11oz). I'm not sure exactly how many cigarettes that makes, but it's quite a few...

Walosi- a bit confused by your post. You say:

The Carolina varieties (not quite the same as Virginian) were several years later, and were a expansion to meet the demand. All were native plants, and hybrids came with later development.

what do you mean by 'native'? Native to the Americas, or do you just mean not cultivated? Whatever it is, sounds like nasty stuff - anything that can scour out a briar in a week.... :eek:

I don't know much about the hybrids (though I'd like too - an good 'history of tobacco' would be interesting). I thought most of the differences in the varietes arose from growing conditions, like in tea. I know that part of the reason Darjeeling tea has the distinctive flavour it does is that it is grown at a relatively high altitude which has drastic effects on the characteristics (it grows much smaller leaves than tea grown at lower alts.).

B.

Originally posted by Bill Martino
15 years ago when I started trying to sell a couple of khukuris I spelled it like I read it in Devanagari -- KHUKURI

How is the pronounced? khu-kur-i:
Khu Like in coo coo clock
kur Like in curse
i Like "eye"

I've read it alot but I must sound like an idiot when i say it!

..and actually, it is. Tobacco originated here. By "native", I am referring to the one and only old original, which can still be found in the woods of Virginia and the Carolinas, nestled among the creepers, wait-a-bit vines and yards, and yards of poison ivy vines. It fits right in with them I would advise anyone young enough, and able, to either quit or switch to a less potent type than cigarettes. I smoked Camels at the rate of two to four packs a day for over 40 years. My lung x-rays still show no damage. Instead, I developed a bladder tumor that was radical (it had characteristics of both types of malignant tumors) and invasive (it penetrated the bladder wall and went into the outer muscles). After surgery (of the "roto rooter" kind) and 34 radiation treatments (14 above "usual maxmum") I found out I couldn't quit, and switched to a pipe. This doesn't eliminate the wear and tear, but it lessens it considerably and keeps me from barking at cars. Ben, if you get the chance, stop in growing country and see if you can get a look at an old-fashioned tobacco press. It will get your attention. My oncologist says that smoking causes 90° of the bladder cancer in men, but the lung guys get all the funding because "bladder" doesn't sell well on TV. The anti-tobacco wookies rant against the tobacco companies for "making tobacco more potent"...Hell, if they really wanted more potentcy,they could have left it the way the NDNs smoked it when it was discovered. End of rant.

Originally posted by Clint Simpson

How is the pronounced? khu-kur-i:
Khu Like in coo coo clock
kur Like in curse
i Like "eye"

I've read it alot but I must sound like an idiot when i say it!

Clint - how I say it, and how I think it should be pronounced based on the devanagari, is:

KHU - yes, like 'coo-coo [clock]'
KU - again, more or less like 'coo-coo'
RI - to rhyme with 'key'

B.

so by 'native' you do mean 'non-cultivated', right?

I would be interested to see an old tobbaco-press. And, as bad as it is, I would like to know more about the different varieties, &c.

As I said to Yvsa, at least in theory I would like to quit sometime, but I don't really WANT to quit. So until I want to, I'm not going to try to quit; as there's little point. I find that people who are 'quitting' are really just those people who don't buy their own cigarettes anymore and instead bum them off of me! :rolleyes: I have a pipe, which I enjoy smoking from time to time (nice freehand Danish briar), but I don't feel quite old enough to pull it off...

I didn't know about the increased chance of bladder cancer. The one (?) unpleasant thing I know about smoking is that it tends to impair blood flow (I don't know enough biology to comprehend the details), which is why I suppose it can increase chance of heart attacks--but it also can cause a form of impotence by the same token, namely that it impairs blood flow :eek:

on that note...

cheers, B.

Originally posted by beoram
so by 'native' you do mean 'non-cultivated', right?
And, as bad as it is, I would like to know more about the different varieties, &c.

As I said to Yvsa, at least in theory I would like to quit sometime, but I don't really WANT to quit.
I didn't know about the increased chance of bladder
cancer.
The one (?) unpleasant thing I know about smoking is that it tends to impair blood flow
(I don't know enough biology to comprehend the details), which is
why
I suppose it can increase chance of heart attacks--but it also can cause a form of impotence by the same token, namely that it impairs blood flow :eek:
on that note...

cheers, B.

Maybe I can shed some light as well.;)
Ben, by "native" Walosi means just that I'm assuming(?).
Tobacco originated in the America's and indeed there are several varities that grow in different locations. And as Walosi said, "Rough smokes."
Some of the Southwestern Tobaccos are pretty high in hallucinogens as well, pretty high indeed!!!!
Actually in some instances alone and especially when combined with other ingredients enough to make an uninitiate sit and slobber for a few days while having unimaginable dreams (visions?).
Most ndn men cultivated tobacco in / to different extents.
Some was cultivated in a garden type atmosphere while other tribes cultivated a small parcel of land, planted the seeds and then left it to its own care, harvesting it when the band returned back to the area later in the year.
Tobacco to just be smoked was also generally mixed with other plant substances such as bark and leaves.
(Just finished a book not too long ago about another search for Atlantis that's based on some good info and the author seems to think that perhaps tobacco originated in Africa and was traded to the American Indin.:) )

As to the blood flow smoking a cigarette lowers the blood flow significately for up to 15 minutes.
I learned that when I was mis-diagnosed with Burger's Disease ( a vasculitis caused by inflamed blood vessels ) in 1984 and given 5 years to live if I didn't quit smoking. I eventually did, but it was forced and not a bit easy and I reached for smokes five years later when I did start smoking again.:(

My old man was operated on for bladder cancer and eventually died from it.
He had quit smoking and was bemoaning the fact to me when he just turned 70 I think it was.
I asked him why he quit if he enjoyed it so much. Shortly after that he started smoking his little beloved cigar's again. The small ones that look like and sorta smell like big cigars.:barf:
If I didn't have that much longer in years and had a medical outlok as dim as his was I wouldn't quit.
The older one gets it seems like the more and more pleasures are lost.
A man can decide for himself whether he wants to give them all up.
This time I just personally got tired of smoking and was bemoaning to myself the amount of time I wasted on it along with several other, good to me, reasons.
Try smoking only outside and you will soon see just how time consuming it is.:eek:

"And, as bad as it is, I would like to know more about the different varieties, &c."
Ben if you would like I can send you the address of Native Seed Search who has several varities of old native tobacco seeds for sale.
I doubt they sell tobacco, but not for certain, as who would be buying it would be questionable.
Barb and me, well Barb actually, raised some native tobacco one year. We shared what little we had with some friends of ours who also use tobacco ceremonially.
It was quite strong.:D
An interesting aside is that us ndns rolled cigarettes with corn husks many years before the European influx.:p

Native Seed Search also has many divers of original native and very early imported seeds such IIRC the ,black eyed pea or bean that originally came from Africa, corn in several colors, beans, tomatoes, squash and etc.
There were something like 80 some different varities of food suffs, mostly plants that were sent back to Europe from the America's.
The foods native here really improved the variety of all peoples everywhere!!!!!

Re tobacco:

Most of the damage that deep-inhaling cigarette smokers endure probably comes from breathing toxic combustion products. So pipe smoking is probably less damaging. The downside is that cancer if it occurs, is in the mouth or throat, which is cosmetically less appealing after operations, than the result of lung operations, but less hazardous to your existence. Same for chewing or dipping, which I must confess is a vice or mine:D

There is a large family of receptors in the brain and other parts of the body, normally responsive to acetylcholine (a naturally occurring and very impotant neuronal communication substance) that also respond to nicotine. Chronic exposure to nicotine actually changes the population of these receptors which accounts for the addictive properties of tobacco. Nicotine raises the blood pressure and heart rate. Pure nicotine is quite toxic for these reasons.

Some pharmaceutical companies are exploring the properties of substances that have physiological effects similar to nicotine in the hope that such compounds may help patients that suffer from Alzheimer's and Parkinsons's disease. They hope to find substances that affect the only the relevant brain receptors without raising blood pressure or heart rate. The large number of slightly different receptors that respond to nicotine make this a reasonable bet. It is interesting that people with some diseases are particularly prone to tobacco use. One of these is schizophrenia. The use of tobacco probably partially compensates for a imbalance in brain chemistry.

My take: if you're really hooked, use in moderation and try to avoid deep inhalation if you're smoking. Nicotine can be absorbed through the mucous menbranes in the mouth and throat. There is for example some really kick-ass pipe tobacco and cigars. If you're not hooked, don't start. And chew is just as hard to kick as smoking. (trust me on this).

All I know is I've been addicted for more than 50 years. It took a heart attack and bypass surgery to get me to quit for 6 months.

I'll probably die with a cigarette in mouth or hand and when I'm cremated I want a pound or two of tobacco to go up with me.

Tobacco,
Think about this, they grow this weed,put in a wharehouse,chop this dead rotten weed up,roll it up in paper,then "sell" it to a person,who then burns it up & inhales the smoke!! Doesn't sound too bright to me!! Killed my Dad, very painful end!Have I tried it?? Yup, two puffs,when I was young,imortal & stupid!
I thought(still remember)this doesn't make me any,tougher,or cool! It taste bad & I just don't like it! After the # of people I know that have cig. related problems,I'm thankful everyday,I never got started!
jim

I'll agree. It is probably THE craziest, filthiest, unhealthiest habit one can have. But, once you're hooked the experts say the addiction is one of the absolute worst and I believe them.

I read about a study where the researchers where trying to get monkeys to smoke. They couldn't find any way that the monkeys would voluntarily smoke, save one. They laced the cigs with freebase cocaine. Sorta seems to defeat the purpose if you wanted to learn about the effects of cigarettes like those that humans smoke. Who was smarter, the researchers or the monkeys?

smoking.gif

I'm not even going to pretend to understand, so I'll just keep quiet.

Originally posted by jim_l_clifton
Tobacco,
Think about this, they grow this weed,put in a wharehouse,chop this dead rotten weed up,roll it up in paper,then "sell" it to a person,who then burns it up & inhales the smoke!! Doesn't sound too bright to me!! Killed my Dad, very painful end!Have I tried it?? Yup, two puffs,when I was young,imortal & stupid!
I thought(still remember)this doesn't make me any,tougher,or cool! It taste bad & I just don't like it! After the # of people I know that have cig. related problems,I'm thankful everyday,I never got started!
jim

Tobacco = grow this weed; cure it in a warehouse; roll it up in paper; people burn the dried leaves and inhale the smoke.

Tea = grow this weed; cure it in a warehouse; (often put it in paper); people throw these dry leaves into boiling water, along with something something squeezed out of a cow and drink it.

I don't think that the process of producing cigarettes is much odder than anything else. I'm not advocating smoking or anything, don't misunderstand. Of course, it doesn't make one stronger or cooler (neither does tea).

I think that smoking has come under disproportionate critique though. They're plenty of other things that are bad for people too - poor diets, not exercising, driving too fast, &c. And living in a polluted city, I read, is about the equivalent of smoking half a packet of cigarettes a day. It would seem that a lot of the anti-smoking money could be used more profitably to put in more mass-transit/improve US mass transit to cut down on automobile pollution; re-imbursement power-plants and factories for putting in more stringent pollution control devices, &c.

The thing is a lot of people are going to smoke, no matter what anti-smoking campaigns messages, &c. they are subjected to. You know the funny thing - I wasn't pressured into smoking or anything like that. I thought about it for 6 months and then said to myself 'When I'm 18 I'm going to start smoking.' I'm not saying it was a wise decision, but it was a conscious decision and I do really enjoy smoking, and suppose I sort of knew I would. That's why I'm not ready to quit just yet - it's not just an addition, it's that I enjoy it. My guess is that smoking in moderation is probably no worse than lots of other things anyway.

Sometimes it's better not to worry so much about things. There are all sorts of things which can cause serious health problems--taking a shower, can, for instance. If you live in a city or somewhere with chlorinated water, the heat and force of a shower disperses the chlorine into the air in some fashion and you end up breathing it in--I don't remember what this does, but it's not good........

Bill - I love the pipe-smoking dragon :D :D :D

firkin - the nicotine-water site was interesting, if slightly amusing...re: nicotine - I should know more than I do, officially being a 'cognitive scientist' (but, damn it Jim, I'm a linguist not a neorosurgeon ;) ), but I believe that one of the things that it does is to increase synaptic firing rate (I vaguely remember that there are things in the brain called nicotinic receptors, though more than that I couldn't really say) - which is why writers like to smoke when they're trying to work, or people smoke before an exam, &c. So--though there's no concrete proof--cigarettes may lead to burst of inspiration ;)

Nicotine, so far as I know, is found in some amount in almost all plants, tobacco just happens to have a lot of it. Another plant which has a lot of nicotine is the tomato plant! (actually, it's a member of the nightshade family, so DON'T eat tomato leaves!!!). So if you ever wonder why you think 'I either feel like a cigarette or a pizza', now you know... ;) Perhaps if one is trying to quit, an all-Italian diet would help ;)

cheers, B.

p.s. there is absolutely no moral to this message, so don't look for one

Back