1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Kydex/ Leather/ Tek-Lok combo ( only drama here is in the photos)

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Rick Lowe, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Rick Lowe

Rick Lowe

Jan 6, 2005
    Just wanted to post some photos of a leather/kydex sheath incorporating a Tek-Lok for the carry option. It has a kydex liner form fitted to the Bushfinger with a medium leather outer. The Tek-Lok is fastened to the leather strap and can be used either as a true horizontal carry or vertical carry. This style does not allow adding different blade profiles, but will be less expensive than my other kydex/leather combo. This was made for a customer who plans to carry on a pack, so I've used the larger Tek-Lok which has room for a 2" strap or belt. For smaller profiles the smaller Tek-Lok ( 1 1/2") would work very well. I make my living with leather, but find that kydex does have a place in the knife sheath and holster world. Very secure carry, light weight, super easy to keep clean and pretty indestructible. Down side includes the potential for minor scratches on a blade due to the tight form fit. The leather gives a more traditional look, softens the bare kydex, and offers easy optional attachments.
    DSC00588.jpg
    DSC00589.jpg
    DSC00590.jpg

2. MajorD

MajorD Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2007
    Really nice sheath Rick! I will take leather over kydex 8 out of 10 times but as you said I do feel kydex has a place. I do prefer to use kydex for my hunting knives where blood etc... can come into contact with the sheath. I'm not always in a position the totally clean a knife before re-inserting. I like that I can rinse and disinfect kydex.

That said I would never put a natural handled blade in kydex. I will always choose leather. I prefer the look of leather as well. That is a great combo sheath and I see a lot of opportunities for that set up.

3. emoney2277

emoney2277

Feb 14, 2014
    This is a winner!

4. Rick Lowe

Rick Lowe

Jan 6, 2005
    For hunting and fishing that kydex liner lets you put a messy blade back in for carry and not worry about it until later. Clean up is just hot soapy water and a blow dry. I love the leather, this style is just a way to incorporate the assets of the two mediums.

5. Comprehensivist

Comprehensivist Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 23, 2008
    I'll echo what Dave said so well. That is a great looking sheath that nicely marries the practicality of kydex and a Tek-Lok with the warm beauty of leather. Well done Rick!

Phil

6. bonafide

bonafide Leather Sheathmaker, JouFuu Leathers Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 20, 2013
    Good stuff Rick!!

7. Cdmayhem

Cdmayhem Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 9, 2013
    I agree with the above sentiments. Good stuff!

8. FeralGentleman

FeralGentleman RansomWildernessCo Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 13, 2013
    Nicely done. Is this the same as your past hybrid sheaths where similar sized blade profiles can have several kydek liners to go with a single leather shell?

9. Rick Lowe

Rick Lowe

Jan 6, 2005
    Thanks guys!
    This one is different than my other kydex/leather in that it doesn't allow inter changing blade profiles. The leather outer is attached directly to the kydex. My reasoning for this is to keep the price structure lower. It takes around 3 more hours to make the form fitting leather outer for the multi liner model, plus time and material for the different carry options. This is geared more for the knife that's the dedicated hard user.

10. whitty

whitty Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Aug 25, 2005
    That is a cool set up! Nice work as always Rick!

11. SA Condor

SA Condor

Mar 10, 2014
    That looks really sharp! What will the price point be for these? And will there be any future blade profiles available? Specifically the Bushcrafter.

12. trestle

trestle

Feb 2, 2008
    Great looking setup! I like the leather over kydex sheathes, like the one you modified for me.

13. Rick Lowe

Rick Lowe

Jan 6, 2005
    Price for this model is going to be $85 as shown in the photos. A firesteel loop, small pocket, etc. would be extra. I can do this type of sheath for any model, but the one point is, I do have to have the particular knife in hand to form the kydex. Andy's blade profiles are not the issue, it's the start of the handle material that can be enough different to require real custom fit. Think about a "fatter" handle opposed to a "skinny" one. Nothing wrong with either and a great feature for the knives, but the fat one won't fit in the skinny one's kydex and visa versa. I'd really like to fit up a couple of the production run knives because I suspect they might interchange.

14. Bill510c

Bill510c Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Great rig right there Rick. I am a leather guy all the way but this one I would consider...

15. jobu1911

jobu1911

Jan 29, 2015
    Very nice! I have a Garrett Industries holster for my 1911 that is the opposite... Leather lined Kydex to protect the finish. Well done!

16. willic

willic Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2013
    When I first called Rick, I told him I wanted to hand a knife on my backpack, something I can get to quick on the trail. I asked him to make something the knife would not fall out of, even it were to hang upside down. This is Rick's creative answer. Rick, you are the man! Absolutely awesome! Thank you!!!!!!!!

Will

17. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    That's a great combo

18. rcartmell3

rcartmell3 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2014
    When will you start to take orders for the new leather/kydex sheaths ?

19. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    That looks great Rick. I was just playing with some hybrid kydex/leather sheaths at the RMJ shop the other day. Ryan is like me in liking the retention of kydex but the quietness and class of leather. He's come up with some pretty cool systems that are giving me ideas.

20. Rick Lowe

Rick Lowe

Jan 6, 2005
    I'm open for orders now. My turn around time for this one will be 4-5 days from receiving the knife to return shipping. Like Andy and his crew, I'm almost busier than I need to be. It's a good thing, but I do want guys to know there will be a little longer turn time. Best way to communicate is through email at: [email protected]