Large 12inch + recurve chopper recommendations

Is this something like what you're looking for?

Dz4hyF9.jpg
Yes! Who makes it?

Matt Zeeb. He doesn't do a lot of knives, but what he does is really nice.

If you like the looks of that check out Kikuo Matsuda; gotta be a recurve in all those models at 12+.

You might try going to the big knife sales sites, searching on "machete," and looking through the results. Blade HQ, GP knives, Knife Center, and New Graham are all good dealerships, are all forum sponsors, and all kick back a good number of results when I search on their sites. I believe Baryonyx is also a forum sponsor and has a nice selection of choppers.

Thought i’d give an update. Got a busse BB13 battle grade coming to me in Tuesday!
Did a partial trade with a forum member here.
Will update again when it gets here with pics and side by side shots with the ontario sp53.

Thought i’d give an update. Got a busse BB13 battle grade coming to me in Tuesday!
Did a partial trade with a forum member here.
Will update again when it gets here with pics and side by side shots with the ontario sp53.

9.5” vs 13” will make the busse a better performer, hands down. The BG is slightly thinner than the sp53 so it will do better on shrubs and grasses as well, I think. Both are great at what they do, but for serious chopping and cutting the edge goes to the bb13, though mine are CG—the higher carbon content of sr-101 will probably make it a much better machete/chopper, though it isn’t “supposed” to be as tough as 5160—but I have no sr101 from busse, just sr-77 and infi. Looking forward to your opinion on these two.

9.5” vs 13” will make the busse a better performer, hands down. The BG is slightly thinner than the sp53 so it will do better on shrubs and grasses as well, I think. Both are great at what they do, but for serious chopping and cutting the edge goes to the bb13, though mine are CG—the higher carbon content of sr-101 will probably make it a much better machete/chopper, though it isn’t “supposed” to be as tough as 5160—but I have no sr101 from busse, just sr-77 and infi. Looking forward to your opinion on these two.
Totally agree. I just wanted to show them side by side.
r5nf12C.jpg

Still love the sp53, but that 3.5 inches makes all the difference.
mFimvdL.jpg

The thinner stock of the Busse (top) compared to the thicker Ontario (bottom)
make it slice through grasses, shrubs and such with ease. It also makes finer work (not that you would want to but it is nice to know you can) a breeze in comparison. I only tested it out making a few feather sticks and chopping grasses/ shrubs but it blew me away! Makes me wonder if i should have gotten an sp52 while i had the chance...
ooeCNqP.jpg

Been working all day and have to pack for a trip im leaving for tomorrow so i wont be able to really test it for a little bit but, from what ive seen so far i think this has just become my new favorite chopper! Time will tell if it turns out to be a passing interest with something cool and new, but i have a feeling its not.

Last edited:
I think I want a BG bb13 now as well! At .187” thick at spine vs .25” for the CG—definitely seems better suited for longer hours of hacking through brush.

Last edited:
Back