Recommendation? LARGE 21 or small 21?

If you could only one sebenza 21, would it be the large or the small?

• Large

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Small

Votes: 31 45.6%

• Total voters
Okay guys the biggest question of the universe...
which one to choose if you could only have one sebenza 21?

The large sebenza is 8.3 in overall with a 3.6 inch blade and a 4.79 inch handle, weighing in at 4.7 Oz

The small sebenza is 6.875 inches overall with a blade length of 2.9 in and a handle of 3.9 in weighing in at 3 oz even.

So, physically the knife is about 1.4 inch shorter and 1.7 Oz lighter.

I've never held a small sebenza but I'm willing to bet it's equally capable as its Big Brother which I do own, yet a little easier to carry. Unfortunately, at this time I cannot afford to own both and I will need to sell this large I have to buy the small one with the inlays I prefer.

One last bit of information, looking over my preview before I posted it, it occurs to me that being 51 years old and the types of things I do cut, I could probably get away with the small.

Feel free to insert a comparison photo as I don't have a working computer at the moment and putting in a photo would simply be a link which can be irritating.

So here is a poll, open for comments and discussion as well.
Thanks everybody

Large is large and small is small. There isn’t a midsize Sebenza. I was surprised at how the small the small 21 was in real life. I’ve since warmed up to it and have a few. Inlays make a difference. A small Inkosi is a touch smaller than a 21 but it’s thicker in the hand.

If I could only pick one it’d be a large. But having the small is a nice change of pace.

Right now I had to choose due to finances as well and picked the small. I used to have both and while the large was a nice change of pace and an amazing knife the small carries easier for me, costs less, and does everything I need an EDC to do. I do have smaller hands and tend towards smaller knives for daily carry so it is a personal preference. The next CRK I plan to get is a Mnandi but will probably get another large eventually.

They both carry well for their respective blade lengths so the question is do you like larger or smaller knives in general.

Last edited:
I prefer the large ... it fits my hand better and I prefer a 3.5" to 4" blade.
I do own a couple small 21s and found out the Small Micarta versions make a big difference on how it feels in my hand and I can use a small with the Micarta inlays fairly easily.

I chose small for the following reason: there is an abundance of compelling knives in the 3.5-ish inch range. Under 3 inches, not nearly as much. The small just seems to stand out more in the marketplace, at least in my warped mind.

0A5508E1-9B7A-425E-8FC1-B9E12AC5826F.jpeg

Last edited:
It depends what you need the knife for. I work in an office so it doesn't make much sense to carry a large, but a small will fit in. If you are an electrician, carpenter, etc., a large may make more sense. If home is a farm, ranch, or you are in the middle of a project, a large might be more practical. If you are going home and sitting on the deck drinking beer, I would go with the small.

For me, at the office, I carry a Mnandi (or traditional) and at home a small Regular or 21. For certain tasks around the house, I'll throw the small Inkosi in my pocket. If I am doing a project, I carry a large 21. Also, a large 21 with a secondary small knife (not at small 21) may be a great combo....

While the small is a better urban edc and more pleasurable to carry...

If I only had to pick one I would still take the large for the extra utility the larger blade affords. So I would rather have a little bit of extra blade than a little bit more comfortable to carry.

I don't know, maybe the small.
While in an urban environment it is all I need.
Outdoors it is a different world, makes the large sufficient.
But then, the knife you have with you is the one you are going to use the most --> so the small it is.
Wintertime is my favorite time to carry a small with inlays, makes it more warm.
hope this helps

I chose small for the following reason: there is an abundance of compelling knives in the 3.5-ish inch range. Under 3 inches, not nearly as much. The small just seems to stand out more in the marketplace, at least in my warped mind.

Totally agree with this point. I have not been able to find a knife that compares to the Small Sebenza as a complete package. Competing knives in the under 3" range always end up coming short in some aspect compared to the Small Sebenza. The Large has tougher competition, sometimes even from within CRK's own line.

Small for me. It hasn’t failed me yet for anything I run into on a daily basis. The Titanium scales make the knife super light; it is never bulky or in the way whether I clip or pocket carry.

If I head outdoors, I always go with a fixed blade or other folder. I do baby my Sebenza above any other knife I own.

For my general task needs I prefer the small, but a medium would be perfect.
I do prefer the inlayed small over the PJ slightly due to it's filling the hand a bit more.

Large , every time.... Won't slip as easily, easier to manipulate... most important of all , a small will not butter the whole piece of toast, or slice through an orange without making a mess! A small feels like a toy to me now....I love Umfaans but cannot carry mine,,, they only get played with.... I think the Ti Lock is the Medium CRK folder....

I carry both, but large through and through. I once lost a small Boker that was clipped in front right pocket and it forever damaged me. Though I usually carry a CRK belt sheath, the large clipped up front just has a much more secure feeling. Your not going to lose it easily. That small comfort goes a long way in premium knives such as these. Love both, carry both....but,,, large.1509358734345197083458.jpg

I feel if you need a knife under 3 inches, a slip joint will work fits the bill.

I do not remember who said this (I believe a old YouTube reviewer) but “a small sebenza is everything you need but a large is everything you want” haha. That being said I’ve tried both and settled on the small. The large is nice but to me it’s overkill. Especially with the way people look at knives where I live. A small is big enough to do everything I need without scaring anyone. Also it disappears in the pocket. I have never once said man I wish this knife was bigger. It just works.

P.S. I recently ordered a small plain serrated 21 from CRK and have been using it nonstop since I received it. For the life of me I don’t know why these aren’t more popular. I’m currently looking at my small rosewood Damascus sebenza and honestly I think I like this serrated 21 more. For anyone reading this I advise you order one before they discontinue them!

Back