• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Large drop point Bowie (Hanson style)

hey everybody!

This is my first big hidden-tang knife, patterned after some of Don Hanson's work with a little flair of my own.

Specs:
OAL: 18.75"
Blade length: 12.25" width: 1.5" average
Blade thickness: .25" tapering towards the tip.
Blade and spacer are 74 layer 1084/15n20 i forged on a Iron Kiss Hammer <3, and the blade has been laddered toward the edge.
Guard is raindrop pattern damascus
Handle is Desert Ironwood secured by a stainless steel pin through the tang.
Blade was finished to 600 grit, etched and then protected with metal wax.

I used a surface grinder at work to get the whole thing trully flat and parallel before starting the grinds. The blade was flat ground and then i rolled the edge for a more robust cutting edge. The knife has my makers mark on the left side of the ricasso (it was put on after the pictures.)

SOLD I prefer paypal, but can work with other payment types. Please contact me at Knifemaker87@gmail.com if you are interested.

More pictures can be found Here

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

IMG_1526.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

thanks for looking!
~Chris

Last edited:
Chris, you're doing some really fine work; I've run across some of your knives on this forum, before, & reviewed your website, too. Some of the tantos you've made are awesome; bowies, too! Later, Bill..........

Really nice work there.

Update your user profile though. :thumbup:

Really nice work there.

Update your user profile though. :thumbup:

what do you mean? :confused: *unsure*

peri_pheral:
I have made some cable damascus in the past, but since all my work is done by hand damascus is alot of work. I went up to the Fire and Brimstone hammer in and they let me use one of the Iron Kiss air hammers, and i have got to tell you.. i LOVE THAT THING!!!! so this billet was made with Deker's oversight, and turned out great. I am building a 20 ton hydraulic press, so i should be making more damascus in the near future.

thanks for the kind words!
~chris

Nice work!
tell me a little about this press you're building if you don't mind-
Dean

hey!
i am building a press sort of like this one:
http://www.knivesplus.com/minihydraulicpress.html

really simple... cheap... small and gets the job done. Not something i plan on staying with long term.. however it should fill the need for now.. and since i am buying a house with a garage i will have oodles more space so may get/build a power hammer.
thanks so much!
~Chris

Chris,
Really like your homage to Don Hanson III.:thumbup:
If you'll take a USPS Money Order,
I'll take it.

Doug

What a great knife! I am envious of your talent - and as usual I am a day late and apparently few hundred short :)

Chris,

You did a wonderful job making this knife. Very graceful and sleek. :thumbup:

Chris,
Really like your homage to Don Hanson III.:thumbup:
If you'll take a USPS Money Order,
I'll take it.

Doug

Thanks Doug!
I will certianly take a money order, however someone else expressed intrest first, and need to check with them first if they made a decision.. Otherwise it is yours! I dont think it will be a problem at all. My only policy with money orders is that I will ship out the knife as soon as I recieve the money order in the mail. Is that okay with you?
thanks so much!
~Chris

Doug,
The knife is yours! i tried responding to your email, but it said your email address was invalid. :confused: So, if you woud send the money order to:

Chris Moss
106 N. Joshua's Way
Yorktown, VA 23692

i will ship the knife to you as soon as i get the check in the mail.
thanks so much for you intrest, and i look forward to doing busines with you!

~Chris

Back