Latest on Bulldog brand knives...

I know that the original generation of Bulldog brand knives were contracted for production in Germany. Once James Parker purchased the company's name/rights, he again contracted the same firm in Germany to make most of the subsequent generations of the brand.
I was under the impression that the very last of the Bulldog brand knives were done in USA by GEC and Queen under contract. And, I simply believed that those were the final generation (and thought it was also the last to be offered). Well, after James Parker passed away, it may be that his son (Buzz Parker) continued with the brand, him deciding the last would be the USA specimens. Don't know who currently owns the company's name, but I recently noticed even newer generations being offered, but no longer of German or American pedigree. Now they seem to be made in China. By the look of the knives and their packaging, it looks like the same producers of the Rough Rider, Colt, Marbles, etc, are the new makers.
Anyhow, I had not followed the brand's journey, and actually believed that the USA made generation was the last of them, but I was obviously wrong on this.
Here is a random pic of a Bulldog knife being offered online. Sure does look like the Factory/Factories making Rough Rider are busy making all sorts of brands.

2i9l5xk.jpg

I'll try to post a few narratives if I can figure out how to do it. These'll carry through to 2009 I think.

Bulldog brand knives have been one of the favorite work and collectible knives for the last 25 years. Charlie Dorton, a perfectionist, first commissioned the Friedrich Olbertz factory in Solingen to produce Bulldog knives in 1978; and they are still being made by the same craftsmen today. Bulldog Knives First Generation: (1978 - 1987) are one of the hottest collectibles in today's market and are getting very hard to find. Charlie stopped producing knives in 1987 and no Bulldog knives were made until Jim Parker bought the Bulldog brand in 1991 (Second Generation) and had all parts finished out into products. Bulldog Knives Third Generation (1993-1995) offered 17 of the finest patterns available to collectors in recent history; and was the first significant number of stainless Bulldog knives produced. We are now into the 5th or 6th Generation of Bulldog Knives with the standing dog then the two dog heads; but recently Buzz has went back to the fighting dogs stamp due to collector acceptance.

Bulldog Brand Knives

Mr. Charlie Dorton had the first Bulldog Brand Knife produced in 1978 in the Friedrich Olbertz Factory in Solingen West Germany. Bulldog Brand Knives are still produced in the same factory. Bulldog Knives have five important periods in their existence; collectors refer to them as different generations.

First Generation. 1978 – 1987. Thirty two different patterns were produced. Out of 32 patterns came 469 styles. A Bulldog Brand Knife Collectors Club was formed in the early 1980’s. There were no Bulldog knives shipped into the United States from late 1987 to 1992.
Second Generation. 1991 - 1992. Jim Parker purchased the Bulldog Brand Knife Company. In 1992 the Olbertz factory shipped about 7,000 Bulldog knives to the USA. Later, some knife parts were purchased from Blue Grass Cutlery to complete additional Bulldog knife sets.
Third Generation. 1993. 17 new knife patterns were ordered from the Olbertz factory and 5 new handle materials were introduced. Oyster Shell handle material and Lady Leg knives were introduced in this year. The third generation knives ended the era of the two “Fighting Dogs” stamp.
Fourth Generation. Around 1995. Jim Parker commissioned an artist to draw “Lucky” Mrs. Parkers purple ribbon bred American Pit Bull Terrier. This drawing appeared as the new Bulldog Knives trademark in 1996.
Fifth Generation. 2000. According to Jim Parker’s Pocket Knife Traders Price Guide, the double dog head stamp was introduced around this time.

Sixth Generation - 2005. February 2005, Bulldog Brand Knives retired the Double Dog Head Tang Stamp, and replaced it with a single Fighting Bulldog Stamp.
A trademark has to be used every three years to keep it active, so a few knives with the rare two “Fighting Dogs” stamp are released every few years.
The Bull Dog Brand Knives are 100% Completely Handmade in Solingen, Germany by Master Cutlers. Each Carbon steel blade is individually hammer-forged with over 240 hand operations going into each knife, then each blade is reverse frost etched with the Double Dog Head logo. Nickel Silver Pins and Shield, and Brass Liners add to the top quality craftsmanship.

Bulldog Brand Knife History
Charlie Dorton had the first Bulldog Brand Knife produced in 1978 in the Friedrich Olbertz Factory in Solingen West Germany. Bulldog Brand Knives are still produced in the same factory. Bulldog Knives have five important periods in their existence; collectors refer to them as different generations.
First Generation. 1978 – 1987; Thirty two different patterns were produced. Out of 32 patterns came 469 styles. A Bulldog Brand Knife Collectors Club was formed in the early 1980’s and a number was assigned to each knife as it went to a customer. There were no Bulldog knives shipped into the United States from late 1987 to 1992.
Second Generation. 1991 – 1992; Jim Parker purchased the Bulldog Brand Knife Company. In 1992 the Olbertz factory shipped about 7,000 Bulldog knives to the USA. Later, some knife parts were purchased from Blue Grass Cutlery to complete additional Bulldog knife sets.
Third Generation. 1993 – 1995; 17 new knife patterns were ordered from the Olbertz factory and 5 new handle materials were introduced. Oyster Shell handle material and Lady Leg knives were introduced in this year. The third generation knives ended the era of the two “Fighting Dogs” stamp.
Fourth Generation. 1996 - Early 2000; Jim Parker commissioned an artist to draw “Lucky” Mrs. Parkers purple ribbon bred American Pit Bull Terrier. This drawing appeared as the new Bulldog Knives trademark in 1996.
Fifth Generation. 2000-2003; According to Jim Parker’s Pocket Knife Traders Price Guide, the double dog head stamp was introduced around this time.
2004 Silver Anniversary; This is the Year of the Reintroduction of the “Fighting Dog” Tang Stamp. 25 Year – Silver Anniversary of Bulldog Brand Knives
2005 – 2008; February 2005, Bulldog Brand Knives retired the Double Dog Head Tang Stamp, and replaced it with a single Fighting Bulldog Stamp.
A trademark has to be used every three years to keep it active, so a few knives with the rare two “Fighting Dogs” stamp are released every few years.
The Bull Dog Brand Knives are 100% Completely Handmade in Solingen, Germany by Master Cutlers. Each Carbon steel blade is individually hammer-forged with over 240 hand operations going into each knife, then each blade is reverse frost etched with the Double Dog Head logo. Nickel Silver Pins and Shield, and Brass Liners add to the top quality craftsmanship.
Source: "Pocket Knife Trader's Price Guide Volume 8" By: James "Buzz" Parker and Ed Henley
Sixth Generation – 2009 to Present; Bulldog Brand USA Knives are being manufactured by Great Eastern Cutlery in Titusville, PA and models are product by Queen Cutlery in Titusville, PA. Bulldog Brand USA Knives are high quality Knives, made in the USA, that carry on the Bulldog Brand Legacy.

When Charlie Dorton owned the Bulldog Knife Company in the 80's, Dave Scott joined with him to produce knives with the S&D, OUR BEST, blade Etch. They felt, and I agree, that they were some of the finest knives being imported from Germany. As Dave Scott told me, they have a different feel than almost any other knife. The barlow pattern is one of the finest, as I am sure you know, Sunburst, since you have one.
S&D Enterprises was the sole distributor of these knives and they were in limited quantities. The S&D OUR BEST blade etch is on several different patterns and I like the quality of them all. S&D Enterprises had an office in Maysville Ky. and some of the 1st generation bulldog knives bear this blade etch also. They are in Manchester Ohio now but I believe they only produce display cases for knives. Bluegrass Cutlery is there also and they produce the Winchester & John Primble knives you see today.

Hope those narratives (none of them mine) will help you out.

This is an example of an early Bulldog stockmnan

DBZoaNO.jpg

Last edited:
Jim's wife had leased the brand to Taylor or Frost - don't remember which. As I understood it, it was with the promise that they would be made in US/Europe only to preserve the good name.

Thanks for the full Bulldog scoop, guys.
It would seem that someone decided to go the China made way with the latest Bulldog knives. I guess that now puts them in the same boat as modern Schrade & Camillus.

Last edited:
I have heard that Frost now has the Bulldog name. If so that probably explains the made in China. That's really a shame in my opinion.
I used to buy Bulldog knives from Jim Parker back in the mid nineties and received his price lists regularly. Good quality knives at good prices, especially if you ordered several. He almost always had some of the older second generation fighting dogs for sale in those lists.
That was also the time period when he put on the big show twice a year in Pigeon Forge.
Those were good times for collectors and traders.

All of the Chinese made Bulldogs are imported by Frost Cutlery and can be easily identified by the raised fighting dog shield. They are a pretty decent knife for use. They are made in the same factory as Rough Rider and other higher quality imports offered by Frost. But they are still China made, can be purchased for less than $10.00 and don't resell well at all.
There are more Bulldogs on the market that are German made. After Jim Parker passed away the maker of Bulldog Knives, The Frederick Olbertz factory in Solingen got stuck with a large quantity of knives and a lot of parts. Recently someone bought the remaining knives and stock and they are releasing fighting dog tang stamp knives with 1995 date stamp and a round dog head shield. I purchased one and it is extremely excellent quality just like the original Parker Bulldogs. Anyone have any additional information on these knives including a wholesale distributor to buy them from.

This is a well-made Bulldog Liner-Lock, with Ram's Horn handles.
Some of Bulldog's history is in the above posts (it's a short read).
I believe it is a GEC-made knife! The last of the US-made Bulldogs??
Anyone know who it was made for??Bulldog GEC 1.jpg Bulldog GEC 2.jpg Bulldog GEC 3.jpg Bulldog GEC 4.jpg
(scratches are on the scanner glass!!)
Bulldog GEC 5.jpg

Compared to a GEC!! Bulldog GEC comp 1.jpg Bulldog GEC comp 2.jpg Bulldog GEC comp 3.jpg

Thats a dandy, Charlie. So much I like about that one. The shield, the blade, the liner lock and the character in the horn, even has some woodgrain like swirls in it.
And good color too.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, Mike!! Who'd Buzz lease it to??

Actually I guess his mother owned the brand; and leased it to Frost. Story was he promised her that he would only use quality manufacturers in Europe (Spain I think). But as soon as the ink was dry, they went straight to china. Hopefully she is getting a per piece royalty.

Actually I guess his mother owned the brand; and leased it to Frost. Story was he promised her that he would only use quality manufacturers in Europe (Spain I think). But as soon as the ink was dry, they went straight to china. Hopefully she is getting a per piece royalty.
Thanks Mike!!:)

(NO Honor . . . . . .!!:mad:)

The "Mountain Man" pattern produced by QCC is really close to the GEC 23. Im not sure that those aren't QCC's.........just not sure.

Back