LB7 Bear Paw LB Survey

Jerry, a number of LB-8 knives have been found with LB-7 marked blades. Since the different scales are really the only notable difference between the two, it makes more sense to call it an LB-8. Particularly since your serial is so low for it to be a three pin LB-7. Does that make sense?

Amazing, I just discovered a North Carolina Limited Edition 1978 with a 144UH and LB7 on eBay. # 320401932755. They have serial numbers that match.... NC003
Guess you never know what Schrade came up with.
Now I wonder if mine is part of a broken set.

On correct sets I have seen, the LB-8 has an etch on the blade as well as the fixed blade. But as this knife shows, the LB-8 usually had the LB-7 tang marking. This is one of the "Dixie Edition" sets which introduced both the 144UH Guide's Choice (1979-1982) and the LB-8.

Here is an old post of mine on the Dixie Editions:

I've been doing some checking of files and archived photos and here is what I have found. First a quote from here by UH Fan, the former Schrade historian:

Schrade didn't have a whole lot of info on these knives. I do know that there were approximately 10,000 of the first set manufactured, and they were manufactured in 1978. (Can't find any records from Schrade to back the claim that there were 4 different sets). This set marked the introduction of both, the 144 and the LB7 w/ staglon handles, as well as Schrade's 75th year in business. The following year, the 144UH was added to the regular line of Uncle Henry knives, and in 1982, the LB8, which is the LB7 with Staglon handles, was added to the Uncle Henry line.

From what I can tell, the Dixie Collection was sold to three customers: Parker Frost, Orgill Brothers and Smokey Mountain Knife Works. I have a good pic of the set, but I'm new to this, so I haven't quite figured out how to send it yet.

Digging through my photo archives and saved posts, I find these references to Dixie Collection Editions, some dated, some not:

1978 Alabama (Redshanks posted 9-24-05)
1978 Texas (Tx325 posted 9-24-05)
1978 S. Carolina (Photo Archive)
1980 "Dixie" Steamboat etch "Collection" (Mississippi or Louisianna?)
? Florida (lrv posted 9-24-05)
? Kentucky (Photo Archive)

Michael

A complete list has yet to be found, as you can see. We can add...
1978 North Carolina (eBay 1-26-10)

Your knife may or may not be from a broken "Dixie" set, but I've never seen a serial that high on one of those sets. Serial Number NC003 on this example suggests production under 1,000 for each set. Also, your serial Number 3583 does not have the state abbreviation used on the Dixie sets.

While the sets were the first known use of the LB-8 pattern, they were not catalogued as LB-8 and sold individually until circa 1982

Thanks for the great info!
I now know I have one of 3583 (chuckle)...Circa 1978.
I think I'll get back into my UH(USA) collecting!!
Jerry

Just found this new/old link. So here's one more data point:

H67427 - 4 pin
SCHRADE+
U.S.A. LB7

Dark brown leather sheath, with SCHRADE stamped in outlined letters on the sheath flap, and stamped twice in a circle on the snap. I don't have the box, but I think I bought this knife in the early 1980s.

Dale,
Would Tom have any insite into any LB7's Camillus made and if they were serialized and 3 or 4 pins?

Dale,
Would Tom have any insite into any LB7's Camillus made and if they were serialized and 3 or 4 pins?

Excellent question!

The only thing I remember discussing with him was the Gran’pa series.
He said they were patterns that Camillus made for Schrade. They put the Camillus name on them after Schrade closed. That would include the LB-7 or at least the 7OT.

Do you know when Albert Baer bought out Camillus?
I am thinking that perhaps Schrade made the LB-7 initially and then they moved production to Camillus after Albert bought them out.
Perhaps they dropped the serial numbers when they moved production to Camillus, or maybe they had dropped the numbers before that. This would be interesting to find out!

I will send Tom an email and see what he can dig up.

Dale

Sorry I'm late to the party!

SCHRADE +
U.S.A. LB7
3 pin
Ser. # 019172
No box, hunting knife I've had for 10+ years.

Hope this helps

Chuck

I spoke with Tom this last week.
It appears that Camillus may not have made the LB-7 as such.
He thought the Gran'pa version of the LB-7 was the same as the Schrade LB-7, but the frame is very different.

Tom will keep an eye out for info on the LB-7.
It may be that Camillus made the blades for the LB-7 & perhaps other parts, but not the fully assembled knife. That was often the procedure with some patterns.
Somewhere I have a copy of an order where Camillus supplied Schrade with thousands of blades for various knives on a single order.
NOTE: I just found that copy and am attaching it to this post.

A quick side note:
You may have heard me refer to the Camillus S-cards that were used in the factory. The S-card contained the info needed by the workers in the factory to turn out the knife being produced. In the case of the S-card I have attached here, the knife is a 898UH with the SCC+ tang stamp, as indicated in the box at the lower right of the card.
I do not when Camillus started using the S-cards, but I know they were used during WWII, at least for part of the war. I learned from Tom last week that Camillus stopped using the S-cards in 1989.
The S-cards are a valuable source of information on the knives Camillus made, especially as they concern Schrade knives built at the Camillus factory.
Unfortunately they were not used the last 15 years Schrade was in business. I think we might be surprised at just which knives were built by Camillus.

Dale

Attachments

• Schrade order from Camillus.jpg
    Schrade order from Camillus.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 42
  • SCC+ 898 single.jpg
    SCC+ 898 single.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 53
I been reading through this post. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what year this bolster stamp is from my LB-7 A49677 I will try to attach a picture. It also has the one side tang stamp. Old Tan box, brown sheath.

Thanks in advance.

suh8.jpg

I been reading through this post. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what year this bolster stamp is from my LB-7 A49677 I will try to attach a picture. It also has the one side tang stamp. Old Tan box, brown sheath.

Thanks in advance.

suh8.jpg

Hi,
New here.
Got this LB7 from my Brother.

D83709 Note: looks etched not stamped.
SCHRADE+
U.S.A. LB7
4 PIN
Brown Pouch stamped SCHRADE on flap, with belt loop. Snap button has SCHRADE twice.
No box.

Bill

Just got a beaut!

Schrade+
U.S.A LB7
s/n----0185:eek::D

In its nice dealer's display case, apparently un-displayed.

Eric

Just got a beaut!

Schrade+
U.S.A LB7
s/n----0185:eek::D

In its nice dealer's display case, apparently un-displayed.

Eric

I wondered where my knife went! Need my mailing address? :D

Congrats! But you know the rule (Cameraless Codgers excluded),,, Pictures or it didn't happen! :p :thumbup:

Sorry for keepin' you on the edge of your seats folks, had a long day of work today and forgot all about the pics. I'll take some first thing tomorrow. Might even put 'em in a new thread with a little history to boot!

Eric

Please do Eric. I look forward to seeing the pictures and the history lesson.

Back