Leather Thread! Masks and Sheaths for Axes

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by ithinkverydeeply, Aug 29, 2019.

1. DB_Cruiser

DB_Cruiser

Jul 17, 2018
    I've been making my own tooling for leather work out of stainless bolts using a grinder, files and wet/dry sandpaper. It's pretty rustic, but I've been enjoying learning to carve.

2. Travbud1

Travbud1

Aug 7, 2015
    I haven't had much play time in the workshop recently, but I did manage to finish up these masks for the Woodslasher Cruiser that now lives behind the seat of my truck. Nothing too fancy, a simple border stamp and some button studs. I really like these better than a normal snap button, much cleaner look I think.

Anyone else here been bending leather these days?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Square_peg, Meek1, Flyrod444 and 2 others like this.
  3. Flyrod444

Flyrod444

Jan 7, 2018
    Not on the level with some of the members here, but it works well.
    [​IMG]

Square_peg, Meek1, DB_Cruiser and 2 others like this.
  4. DB_Cruiser

DB_Cruiser

Jul 17, 2018
    I finished up a mask for my Tassie a couple of weeks ago. I keep meaning to post this stuff, but then I get busy and forget. I prefer the studs to snaps mostly because I don't need any extra tools to use them and I think they maintain a more rustic and traditional look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Nice masks both of you! Real sharp looking!
    I've got the stitching and studs down but I have yet to venture into the realm of decoration.. You guys may have provided the inspiration for me! Thanks for sharing!

Meek1, Travbud1 and DB_Cruiser like this.
  6. Travbud1

Travbud1

Aug 7, 2015
    Check out a few of the tutorials by @Horsewright and others over in the "Sheaths and Such" sub forum. TONS of great info over there that will help get you going with some stamping and carving.

DB_Cruiser and Yankee Josh like this.
  7. DB_Cruiser

DB_Cruiser

Jul 17, 2018
    I like to play around on scraps. That way I can figure out how a design will work and whether I even want to mess with it on a piece. I think after you play around on a few scraps, you may feel more inclined embellish your work. Here's some of my silly scraps.
    [​IMG]

Trailsawyer and Meek1 like this.
  8. Whiskey_Jim

Whiskey_Jim

Feb 21, 2017
    Not going to post my shoddy work after seeing the OP

9. Pdr206

Pdr206

Feb 11, 2020
    First sheath in years for my sons first axe, a Champion Kelly Works boys axe. Rivets and saddle stitch. Have to make the shoulder strap for around the head still.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]