Leatherman Charge Ti ?

Guyon

Biscuit Whisperer
Super Mod
Anybody got it? Impressions?

I'm thinking about the Ti as opposed to the xTi because the latter does not have the scissors.

I'm especially curious how the bit driver holds up when put under some torque.

You'll get a better response to this question in the Multi-tools and Multi-purpose Knives forum.

ThreadMoving.jpg

Guyon said:
Anybody got it? Impressions?

I'm thinking about the Ti as opposed to the xTi because the latter does not have the scissors.

I'm especially curious how the bit driver holds up when put under some torque.

I got one of each of these recently. I carry the Ti for the scissors and I really don't need two bit drivers though the crimper or the hook on the serrated blade on the XTi might occasionally come in handy.

I have not yet had to torque these though they look like they should do fine. The bit or the fastener will probably die before the driver does.

I have the Ti, since I too like scissors, and have little need for a gut-hook. Also, i bought the extra bit kit, so I can carry a dozen bits around, making the second bitholder of the XTi superfluous.

As for the sturdiness of the bits and holder, I've used mine pretty hard, to the point of stripping a coupla screws by accident; the bits and holder survived unscathed. Don't think ya need to baby 'em!

I carried an original Wave for ages, but the Charge Ti is now my EDC about 90% of the time. Yeah, it's that good.

Yep, got the original Wave. Making the switch to the Ti pretty soon. Thanks for the in put.

Hello Guyon,

Why'd you choose the xTi over the Ti?

I have a Charge Ti too, and find it a better choice due to the presence of scissors, and a fixed blade screwdriver. The screwdriver bits' Zinc coating scratches easily, and as a result can develop rust if not cleaned periodically. The bits themselves are plenty tough, and so is the bit-driver. Their short length and bulk make it difficult to use for deep/recessed screws.

=)

The short bits has put be off the Charge/Wave, is there away of getting around this problem?

josekym said:
Hello Guyon,

Why'd you choose the xTi over the Ti?

=)
Typo. Sorry. I do want the Ti over the xTi. Scissors are a must.

ging said:
The short bits has put be off the Charge/Wave, is there away of getting around this problem?
Wonder if Leatherman has thought of this.

Easiest solution would be to produce a set of longer bits in the most common configurations, no?

Anybody ever contact Leatherman on this one?

In answer to ging's question there is a way around it now. I have noticed that the newer waves and maybe the newer charges(although I have not seen any yet) have the six point tamper-proof pivot pins. You can get that bit at an autoparts store remove the bit holder, get a kick and remove the long phillips and swap the two. If you want to use the bits buy the Leatherman bit kit that fits the Kick, Fuse, and Blast. I hope this has been of some help. I tried it and the only thing you have to do is pull the tab on the wave off inside the handle.

The Charge has a 154CM blade. Any idea of the hardness of the blade on the Blast? The Blast blade seems harder and to keep its edge longer than on an earlier PST I had. In fact most of the tools on the Blast seem harder and stronger than my pocket PST.

I have the Wave, and as far as I can tell, other than the knife blade material and handle material (Charge has to win on both counts, I'm just too cheap to spend the extra $), the two are identical. I've used the bit driver a few times, and it has held up very well under considerable torque. I doubt you'll have a problem.

I have a charge Ti to replace my sideclip. I like the charge, but I am starting to think that Leatherman is trying too hard. How many Flat head screwdrivers do I need in one tool? Why is the cast Ti so crappy looking and unfinished? Don't say for grip, cause they have never out grip on any others before. Not having the ruler on the flat side is a bummer to.

Silly question from me, but are the blades on the charge locking?

A few sites seem to indicate the blades on the wave are locking but not those on the charge?

Cheers

Mindz I All the blades on the Charge do in fact lock. I have a Charge Ti and if I had to do it over again I would have gotten a Wave and saved the extra money. I don't think the titanium handles are better than the steel and I always carry another knife so the 154cm blade really is of little consequence. As an aside I took a bit adaptor for a drill and ground it down so it would fit in the bit holder on the charge so I can use any number of cheap bits. I really think Leatherman should look at this as an option. I first saw the idea on Doug Ritters "equiped to survive" site.

How do you rate the extra grip on the Charge over the Wave? I liked the look of the textured surface tbh.

I was going for the weight saving on the charge to be honest but noticed there was a grand total of 3 grams in it!

JTC said:
As an aside I took a bit adaptor for a drill and ground it down so it would fit in the bit holder on the charge so I can use any number of cheap bits. I really think Leatherman should look at this as an option. I first saw the idea on Doug Ritters "equiped to survive" site.

I was thinking the same thing, is it easy to do and how well does it work.

Back