Leatherman Charge Ti ?

ekillian said:
Why is the cast Ti so crappy looking and unfinished? Don't say for grip, cause they have never out grip on any others before.

I agree, mine came with large burrs on the handles which in some places scratched the blade on the opening.

JTC

Mindz I I don't have a wave to compare to my Charge but the things that are supposed to make the charge worth $30 or so more than a wave dont make it that much better for my uses. The one thing the Charge came with that I really like is the pocket clip but these can be bought for the wave as well.

Ging, It was'nt really that hard to do. I took a Makita hand grinder and clamped the adaptor down and ground one side down and flipped it over and did the other side. I did a little of each side and just kept trying to fit it into the bit holder. It turned out ok just a little crude looking. These adaptors can be had at hardware stores pretty cheaply so I can afford to practice until I get it looking good.

It seems like that is something Leatherman would offer instead of propietary bits. You have to carry them in a case anyway and with an adaptor you could even use sockets. I'll keep hoping.

I don't mean to give the impression that I think the Charge is no good. I like it alot. I guess I'm just saying I don't like it $100 good. I think a $65 Wave and a $5 clip would have been fine.

John

I use both the bits from Leatherman and a "modified" el-cheapo bit from the hardware store.
Keep in mind that the Leatherman bits are 'the thing to have', they also have a perfect fit in Philips screws...

Cheers guys :)

I guess I'll just buy the Wave with a belt clip and some skateboard tape then. I think I'd rather have a cheaper Wave to use as a beater than the charge that I might hesitate to cut with. From the sounds of it whilst the wave is a few g's heavier I'm guessing the charge probably is more noticable slipped into a pocket due to the extra bulk of the scales?

Sadly in the UK it's apparently seen as a overkill by police to carry both a pocket knife and a multi-tool given the multi-tool has a blade :rolleyes:

Thanks John I will have a go myself

Mindz_I, the Wave does have the side out lanyard loop. It's terrible that we can't edc the wave due to is locking blades! :(

One thing I am a little disappointed about is the removable belt clip doesn't come in black. I liked the idea of a subdued tool and a belt clip to match, but seems they only come in chrome :(
--

Ging, cheers.

To be honest I'm still going to carry the wave with me over my Spydie UKPK.

There's a post over on Britishblades about a chap who had his UKPK (a legal carry knife) confiscated as it was an offensive weapon, whilst he also had a Leatherman Wave (an illegal carry).

It spoke volumes to me that the arresting officers thought that the UKPK was dodgy, but the Leatherman was 'just a multitool' ... I mean you have a knife that is technically legal (specifically designed for UK laws), but because it looks a little highspeed and doesn't come with a woodsaw and plyers it's for self defence ...

I've hijacked the thread enough (sorry for that), so won't go into great detail but there was alot of question of "well if you have a leatherman, what do you need this for (ukpk)?" - I'm sure alot of us can empathise with carrying a multi-tool and a decent folder at the same time.

The thing that kinda stuck with me was that the Copper in question wouldn't believe that the slipjoint folder wasn't a Lockknife (I beleive his argument was something akin to "Nah you can hear it locking there *opens knife ... *CLICK* * See it's a lock knife"), even though that we all know what defines a lock knife.

With that in mind, I figure whilst technically and legally wrong to carry a Wave it's more likely to be viewed as a tool with a practical use than a single bladed spydie slip-joint :(