1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lefty Time

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Horsewright, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Ya know how things go in groups. Somebody famous dies and then couple more are gonna right away? Kind of had that recently with left hand holsters. I make a lot of holsters but mostly right handers as 90 percent of the population is right handed right? Bam lots of left handed holster orders all at once. Thought I'd share a few pics with ya:

A California Slim Jim style holster with traditional double border stamp for a Richards Conversion Colt. Left hand cross draw:

[​IMG]

Just an uber cool gun in .38spl that I would love to shoot:

[​IMG]

This order also included one of my Rangeflap holster for a Schofield, another super cool revolver. This one is for left hand strong side carry but the Rangeflap is pretty versatile and can also be carried cross draw in the front or behind the far hip:

[​IMG]

The customer also had me make the water buffalo pancake sheath but its for his gal and she's a righty.

Did the double border stamp on the Rangeflap too and lined it in bison to keep the old west thing going a little.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then leaving the old west and getting a little updated I did a Belt Slide for a Glock 17/19/26 or any other Glock built on their original frame.

[​IMG]

A buddy's Bday was coming up so I built him this as he's a Glock 17 kinda guy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just so right handed folks didn't feel left out I built this one for a Smith 9mm:

[​IMG]

And this roughout Rangeflap for stock:

[​IMG]

Dang thats a lot of holster orders all at once. What's next? Oh yeah another left handed California Slim Jim. Start on that one next week. Thanks for looking and questions and comments always welcome.

2. golfer1

golfer1

Nov 24, 2016
    Dave; you have been busy. Ya finally found some of the lefty population. Yep, were still out there. You do nice work, right or left handed.

Horsewright likes this.
  3. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Thanks, this post was in your honor.

4. Macan

Macan

Apr 7, 2014
    Wow ! what a great work, beautiful rich color of sheats, not to mention gun and that cute small knife. I really like yours Sunday posts!

Horsewright likes this.
  5. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Thanks Macan!

6. Alamor

Alamor

Jun 24, 2015
    As a lefty myself, I appreciate people like you. You're taking the time to make us lefties armed! Out of all the knives I have bought. Only one came with a pre-made sheath for left hand carry.

Also, your work is very, very nice! Do you make sheaths as well? If so, what does a typical vertical sheath normally cost?

7. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Alamor I do make a vertical pancake sheath and it can be made in a left hand version. Here's that other holster I just finished off with a Balckhawk and it also fit my Vaquero:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. bill2000

bill2000

Nov 25, 2004
    Nice work Dave. Do you have a blue gun for a S&W 3913 (w/ straight dust cover, not the LS)?

9. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Thanks. Nope on the blue gun but I do have a 903. Same gun just blued instead of stainless.

10. bill2000

bill2000

Nov 25, 2004
    Not familiar with a 903. the blue version of the 3913 is a 3914.

11. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
  12. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    oops double

13. just-a-hunter

just-a-hunter

Nov 5, 2015
    Beautiful, clean work. As always!

Awesome stuff!

Todd

14. bill2000

bill2000

Nov 25, 2004
    Yup. 908 makes sense, an econ version of the 3913. Has a different slide profile though. Boning would be wrong. You do real nice work Dave. Especially like your borders. Thanks for getting back to me.

Horsewright likes this.
  15. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Ya bet Bill.

16. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Love my Range Flap from you for my SP101. It's with me on every trail ride, bird hunt, and fishing trip. No buckle on mine, though. It has the stud.

Zieg

Horsewright likes this.
  17. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Yeah a couple of my own personal ones are built with the stud. I really like that, but I've kinda moved away from using it. One of the great things about the Rangeflap is that its not very gun specific. A large size one with a buckle will fit full size 1911s, Ruger revolvers, L and N frame Smiths etc. So I've got 5 different handguns that will ride in the same holster and not only fit but fit well. The buckled strap allows that versatility. When I build one using the stud it is pretty gun specific. So all these fit in this one holster:

[​IMG]

I built this one using a Sam Browne stud for my Ruger Vaquero and only that gun fits this holster well.

[​IMG]

Now a lot of folks worry about access to the handgun in a flapped holster with a buckle. Simply not a problem. Ya carry it like this using only the top half of the buckle. Pull up on the strap, hook your thumb under the flap and come up, the gun is in your hand. This is my buddy Ty's Rangeflap and he's a lefty too.

[​IMG]

Sure glad that holster is working for ya Zieg. I love hearing things like that. Post a couple of pics if ya get a chance.

dug24 likes this.
  18. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Thanks, Dave! I'll get some pics up when I migrate away from Photophucket. I never worry about access to my revolver in your flap holster. Quick draw isn't the name of the game; security is. If it stays put in the saddle or (heaven forbid) in a fall, it's done its job.

Zieg

Horsewright likes this.
  19. Siper

Siper Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Impressive work you're doing mate :D Love it :D

Horsewright likes this.