1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

LEO / First Responders Duty Carry

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by ROLEXrifleman, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Hey guys, I don't see any Strider SMF's here. Is it too bulky for LEO carry? Wanted to gift one to SWAT son-in-law.
    Sonnydaze

2. Vegas Blade

Vegas Blade

Feb 9, 2012
    Speaking from experience, I think it is a cost issue. Not that guys don't have them, and some may carry them, but they are an expensive gamble. If I break my Spyderco Assist, I'm out $100.00 give or take. If I damage or break my Strider or Hinderer, I could be eating a $400-800 dollar mistake. There are tons of very good knives for first responders that won't break the bank or your heart if you snap it. I keep a fixed blade in my "Go Bag", and it is for anything heavy duty ie: prying, smashing a window, cutting out a door lock etc.

3. Nic S.

Nic S.

Mar 4, 2012
    I carry a Benchamde Triage in my station pants, Spyderco Assist in my bunker pants, and a Gerber Hinderer rescue on my radio strap. Also I carry a Benchmade 7 hook instead of trauma shears. The leatherman raptor shears look interesting though.

4. jjoanty01

jjoanty01

Jun 2, 2011
    I know its alot but I carry on my belt, a BM5 rescue hook, and a Leatherman Wave and behind the duty belt a KaBar TDI. In front right pocket a BM9100, in left front pocket an H&K 14455 and on my Tac Vest I have a (don't laugh) Gerber Compact paracord fixed blade. Why the Gerber? Becasue it is a beefy inexpensive knife. I painted the sheath OD and re-wrapped the handle with OD paracord. It blends in with the vest nicely. And if I happen to lose it... then $30 and I get a new one. When you are out alone in the desert and back up is at least 20 minutes away, you tend to carry double everything. Water, ammo, knives... etc.

5. Eagle10710

Eagle10710

Nov 24, 2011
    I usually carry a ZT 0550, but recently I've been trying out the Kershaw Funxion EMT for giggles. For the amount of times you actually need a pocket knife instead of shears, it's a much cheaper alternative AND I can abuse/lose it.

6. imbryan715

imbryan715

Jan 16, 2012
    Station uniform was a spyderco military for the last two years. Now it is a mini griptilian, tasman salt and a Vic tinker. I have a spyderco salt 1 with a lanyard connected to my radio pocket and a benchmade 5000SBK in my right turnout pocket in my pants. That setup works very well

7. Silvanus

Silvanus

May 17, 2012
    ZT 0560 in my station pants and a Gerber Hinderer Rescue in my bunker pants as far as knives go. Also trauma shears.

8. orixa

orixa

Dec 22, 2012
    Hinderer offers a first responder discount so that they can use his tools in the field, yet out of 20-odd responses to this thread no one carries a Hinderer for its intended purpose..hmmm

9. PropThePolecat

PropThePolecat

Jan 31, 2009
    I can only speak for myself, but the Hinderer is just too expensive. I am not worried about losing it. I dont go around misplacing or lending out my radio, extra mags, cuffs and so forth, so what makes my knife any different? What is stopping me is its initial cost. Even with the discount, its still an exensive knife. Every single knife thats been mentioned has been less expensive, than the Hinderer. That being saud, i know a Dutch cop that carries a Hinderer.

10. tacmedic909

tacmedic909 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Emerson CQC7 A, Spyderco Tenacious as a backup and a Leatherman Sketool. I did carry a TDI behind the magazine pouch but IDK what happened to it. Lol

11. bonafide

bonafide Leather Sheathmaker, JouFuu Leathers Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 20, 2013
    I carry a Benchmade Infindel and H&K Epidemic - strictly for secondary weapon use.

Had a fellow Wolf Hunter call me last night, he got into it with a perp and ended up sinking his brand new S&W Extreme Ops in the dude's kidney during a weapon retention assault.

12. sideways

sideways

Feb 19, 2013
    +2. You can't have too many trauma shears as an emt.

13. PropThePolecat

PropThePolecat

Jan 31, 2009
    Carrying the Spyderco Police 3 today. It carries very light for a knife this size and i also like how slim it is.

14. Nic S.

Nic S.

Mar 4, 2012
    I would love to carry a Hinderer but I can't afford one right now and the knives I carry now are gifts. My old man gave me the Triage and I have carried it every day since on the job. My old partner from when I worked a private medic unit gave me the Assist, and the Gerber Hinderer was a birthday gift along time ago.

15. jjoanty01

jjoanty01

Jun 2, 2011
    Bonafide, your buddy proved that for self defense, it doesnt matter if its a $20 Smith and Wesson or a $1000+ custom made knife, as long as it cuts true and deep, and you get to go home then its a good knife. I am so glad that your buddy came out on top :thumbup: Of course the $1000 knife will look prettier and sexier doing it :D

16. jjoanty01

jjoanty01

Jun 2, 2011
    Benchmade offers LEO's and Military a discount as well. Not too sure about EMT/EMS though. Oh and Oakley does the same for their boots, gloves and sunglasses.

17. pilote

pilote

Jul 4, 2009
    i personally know quite a few feds who use striders, and one i know uses a xm18...these dudes have no interest in knife boards much less telling people what they use...

18. Gunsup

Gunsup

Sep 23, 2013
    Great GMT Master! I'm a former Texas DPS Trooper, but I couldn't afford my Rolexes until I got out of law enforcement.

19. Judge Luco

Judge Luco Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2011
    I carry either my 810 Contego or my presidio on me and I have a Wilson coptool and a leatheman wave on my bailout bag.